Hi, I'm Katka :)

zajko

Reaction score
Hello,

well, after some time of posting here I finally forced myself to write some introduction :D

I'm Katka (something like short version of Catherine in my language) and I'm from the Czech Republic - it's a small country in the middle of Europe. Here is a link if you want to know something about this country. Maybe you even heard about our capital Prague, our former president Vaclav Havel or about our hockey players like Jagr or Hasek :D

I was born 24 years ago as a hearing baby. But at the age of 2 I lost almost all of my hearing due to meningitis. The funny thing is that doctors in the hospital didn't realise I became deaf... My mom thinks it was because I was immediately able to read lips :D I got hearing aids and I was able to hear something, but I was mostly lipreading. I was mainstreamed and hadn't any problems in the school.

At age of 11 I made exams for high school and my parents knew that it could become quite hard for me, so they told me that there is some cool thing called cochlear implant and I can probably hear better with it. I was excited (haha :D) and I wanted it. So I got it at age of 12. It is a great thing and I'm happy I have it, but I still consider myself as hearing impaired. Recently, after 12 years, I finally upgraded from that huge ugly SPrint to N5 processor .. it's great but really really battery-eating :)
I like reading, music, photographing, webgames and our pets (dog, cat & rabbit)

Now I'm studying at Masaryk university Czech language and Computational Linguistics. I have a part-time job too as a spellchecker.
In June 2008 I had the opportunity to visit Gallaudet University for 3 weeks, so I learnt some basics of ASL, but I already forgot it :giggle: Recently I started with learning Czech Sign Language (our university offered it to hoh students). It's another world to experience.

So.. this is my basic introduction. If you want to know more about me or my country or something else, feel free to ask. I don't post very much as this forum is really huge and I don't have enough time to read everything :D I'm mostly hanging out in the HA/CI section.
Looking forward to meet some of you at least virtually ;)

Welcome. It's interesting that you are from the Czech Republic. I am an admirer of the late Vaclav Havel.

:welcome: What a great introduction, it's a lovely country but I have yet to visit. One day I'd like to slowly travel through Europe, it's on my bucket list! ;-)

welcome

what do you think of slovakia? ha Im part of the old term "czechoslovakia" now slovakia but born in USA.

wow, so many "relatives" here :D

Slovakia is still our closest neighbour and honestly I still don't know why it was necessary to divide Czechoslovakia into Czech Rep & Slovakia. It has some disadvantages too - for example children and young people don't understand Slovak/Czech. I remember when my brother was about 13 years old and in TV was a movie with some Slovak dialogs - he turned on closed captions although he's hearing .. he just didn't understand Slovak and captions were translated :D

Welcome! My great-grandfather was born in Prague, but I'm American. I am an admirer of the late Vaclav Havel as well.

Welcome to All Deaf! :wave:

Back