Hi, I'm interested!

elijahnoahcolt

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm Eli.

I'm not hearing impaired but I'm very interested in learning sign language (currently learning to read braille too!). I've always been interested in sign language since I was a little kid and now I'd like to learn.

Any ideas how I can go about doing this? I've picked up a few books that should be arriving in the next few days.

Anyway, thanks for reading, have a great day!

Yeah lesson number one it is not hearing impaired. When you say hearing-impaired it means that they need to be fixed almost like the car. You can say that they're either deaf or hard of hearing. It depends on what the deaf person likes to be called, you can't determine what they like to be called. And for future reference do not use the terms deaf and dumb, hearing-impaired, or deaf mute. I can almost guarantee you if you uses terms you're going get your ass kicked

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Yeah lesson number one it is not hearing impaired. When you say hearing-impaired it means that they need to be fixed almost like the car. You can say that they're either deaf or hard of hearing. It depends on what the deaf person likes to be called, you can't determine what they like to be called. And for future reference do not use the terms deaf and dumb, hearing-impaired, or deaf mute. I can almost guarantee you if you uses terms you're going get your ass kicked

I am HOH b/c I have a nerve damage , I was born HOH. So there is something wrong with my ears , I wish it could had been fixed like a car is repaired . I see no difference from saying my inner ear is damage or impaired b/c this is why I am HOH. Please speak for yourself .

there are a lot of online sources to learn from too. I'm teaching myself ASL and using lifeprint.com and startasl.com to help me. also having someone to sign with will help too. I still haven't found that part yet but I watch some YouTube stuff said in mainly sign language so at least my receptive skills will be good enough. I'm still in the beginning skills tho. I'm hearing. this ain't the only language I'm working on but it's the main one. hope all the info I gave helped any:)

Honestly the best way to learn is to get involved with the deaf community and go take classes preferably by someone who is deaf. Just like learning a different language, the only true way to learn it is to go hang out with natives

Honestly the best way to learn is to get involved with the deaf community and go take classes preferably by someone who is deaf. Just like learning a different language, the only true way to learn it is to go hang out with natives

We do not know where the OP lives , they may not any place to take classes.

I know but I'm sure they might be some kind of deaf community there don't you think

where I live there is one where im from then its extremely small. I've only seen 3 deaf people my entire life. and no where really has sign language as a translation choice. at least I haven't seen so that's kinda why I gave the Internet sources. just in case anyone was pretty much in the same instance like me that really can't learn from a native unless you drive a good distance away from home

"hearing impaired"?

no.....first lesson....

Yup, that's all I saw out of that whole entire thing... it jumped out like it was printed in red.... Hearing impaired.... No no no no no no no no!!! BAD NEWBIE BAD! Go sit in the corner and think about what you posted! :mad2:

:wave: Mew

:aw: well, in the corner, maybe a bit much...but yeah, pondering about it - yeah. Ponder and read what's already here....if they're still interested....

I've looked online, google and for apps or even a push in the right direction but the only ones I've seen that are deaf is my cousin and her children are hearing and sign but when I told her I was learning she didn't seem phased by it. Her son was happy but she had no reaction it made me wonder about if she has heard that before and people didn't follow through? But how would I go about finding a deaf or HOH community? Southbridge ma is pretty fridgen small. "/

Yup, that's all I saw out of that whole entire thing... it jumped out like it was printed in red.... Hearing impaired.... No no no no no no no no!!! BAD NEWBIE BAD! Go sit in the corner and think about what you posted! :mad2:

I call myself hearing impaired b/c my ears do not work right.

What.... You have to be one of the only people I have ever known who calls themselves hearing impaired and is okay with that terminology.... :shock:

I want to laser beam peoples heads to pop like a pimple when they call me hearing impaired... :mad2: You might as well call a pregnant woman fat while you're at it, because that will get you the same reaction. :shock:

I call myself hearing impaired b/c my ears do not work right.

It is weird when you said that. Were you born hearing or hard of hearing (deafness)? If you were born hearing, how old were you when you lose your hearing? :hmm:

Back