Hi from California!

ladysolitary85

Reaction score
Hi there!

Well guess there is where I introduce myself :)

I'm a 25 yr old who lives in Cali, trying to meet people like me who understands the daily stress I go through with my hearing loss.

When I was in kindergarten, I had a fever of 104.4 which completely damaged my right ear drum. I still have hearing in my left ear... However it can easily drop from 75% to only 50% hearing loss (actually going in to get a hearing test tomorrow... first time in 7 yrs). I wore the over-the-ear hearing aid k-11th grade. My hearing doctor was under the impression that I no longer needed a hearing aid. Being a kid that was bullied all the time for my hearing aid I was relieved to feel "normal" and blend with the hearing crowd. At that point in time though.. I didn't realize that there wasn't such thing as normal really.

But as time passed, my denial about who I am grew as my hearing loss effected everything in my life... work, family, friends, relationships. Heck even choosing a career took a part because in the back of my mind I always felt limited because of my hearing loss. I notice from time to time I will hear a ringing sound from my ear that isn't there and it drives me crazy! When I'm sick or have allergies my hearing decreases.

I have not worn a hearing aid since 94 and now I'm ready to unlock that personal sensitive subject again. I realize that I need to get a hearing aid and I need to overcome that fear with public appearances of feeling stupid for not hearing anything someone says to me. I even thought about brushing up some sign-language. I know I'm not alone and I'm not a freak, and my hearing loss isn't my fault. All I can do is try to better myself and hopefully meet others and learn from their experiences and make friends.

So that is me :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. You are not alone, everyone of us struggle with hearing loss. I do hope you have a good time reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

I have not worn a hearing aid since 94 and now I'm ready to unlock that personal sensitive subject again. I realize that I need to get a hearing aid and I need to overcome that fear with public appearances of feeling stupid for not hearing anything someone says to me. I even thought about brushing up some sign-language. I know I'm not alone and I'm not a freak, and my hearing loss isn't my fault. All I can do is try to better myself and hopefully meet others and learn from their experiences and make friends.

So that is me :)

Hi,

I think you'll find adults are generally much kinder than children. There are complete arseholes though that will make you feel awful, if you let them. The trick is to take control, if someone says something that could be an insult, tell them it's insulting. Don't let them get away with it, and don't let it get to you. :aw:

I have learnt a lot from the people here, they make me seem more normal and that's no mean feat! :lol:

Oh my Dear...Hearing aids can be pretty cool now'a'days. What is "normal" ??? There are hearing aids that look like an ear peirce on the upper lobe. If your hearing loss is greater than that style I have 2 BTE's that no one sees....Next pair I am going for purple with flashing lights....
My Mom used to always say "what does not kill you makes you stronger" You are young and beautiful...Don't get mad get(even) educated, then change the world. Or yours. You are not limited,
Smiles
PITA
PITA

Oh my Dear...Hearing aids can be pretty cool now'a'days. What is "normal" ??? There are hearing aids that look like an ear peirce on the upper lobe. If your hearing loss is greater than that style I have 2 BTE's that no one sees....Next pair I am going for purple with flashing lights....
My Mom used to always say "what does not kill you makes you stronger" You are young and beautiful...Don't get mad get(even) educated, then change the world. Or yours. You are not limited,
Smiles
PITA
PITA

At that point in time I was 16, and my peers basically made me feel as if I was a freak. "normal" was being able to hear and understand to them, Some would be ashamed to ask me out to places with them just because I had a hearing aid. I know know that I shouldn't be ashamed of who I am in fact I should embrace it. I just have trouble getting past fears of being judged. I know a lot has changed with hearing aids since 94. It wasn't so much of style for me, although a nice feature... it was just very bulky and noticeable when I was a child.

Tomorrow I have a hearing test appointment, I haven't gotten one in 7 yrs... that's how insecure with myself I was. Just going to the doctor today to talk with him made me uneasy just because I couldn't hear him. He told me most of the hearing aids they have are $1,000 to $2,000. Is there any kind of help for us hard of hearing/deaf folks? or insurance that will cover for one?

Thanks so much Pita :) At that time "normal" was something other than me. I had friends (being 16 then) who would be embarrassed to hang out with me in public purely because of my hearing aid.

But I'm 25 yrs now, I need to get one.

I'm going to take a hearing test, hopefully I can get an estimate on how much one would cost. Since I'm paying out of pocket.

welcome to AD!!!!!!
like you, I'm getting new hearing aids but I get mine in 2 months :)
if U wanna know, I'm about to get Oticon Safaris (kids only!) in 2011 xD

if U wanna know the specs, features, & troubleshootin, I'm the the right geek squad.

Smiles
PITA
PITA

purple with flashing lights? I'm about to get those next year!!!!!!! (oticon Safaris)

welcome to AD nice to you :D
enjoy forum on thread! I have hearing aid :D

welcome to AD!!!!!!
like you, I'm getting new hearing aids but I get mine in 2 months :)
if U wanna know, I'm about to get Oticon Safaris (kids only!) in 2011 xD

if U wanna know the specs, features, & troubleshootin, I'm the the right geek squad.

I think it sounds cool to me but also funny too.
What would people think about us in the way we do not expect ? when we wear these in the way we think it is cool instead of....being silly or s*****?:giggle:

welcome, nice to meet you here :)
I suppose we nearly are in the same age ;)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! :wave:

Thanks Milley :D, now I got the Michael Jackson "you are not alone" song stuck in my head :giggle:

Hey, I am new here but I have some questions here on what you guys think about ladysolitary. why do you are affraid to be recognized as a hard hearing person in public...? Is it because you wear the hearing aid or what? why do think other people gonna look down on you just because of your hearing loss?
If you can honestly answer these quetions to yourself, you can see you are just as other people....no one perfect and you know what...I am not agree with what you are saying here... other people, who do not have hearing loss like you, not all of them are bad or make you feel bad about your problem.....So, please be cheer up as Milley said and do not think all people around you hate you....they're just ... busy with their own lives...so...:)

Hi guy, I think you are the one who are not belong here. We have a problem with our hearing and so...is it a problem? We can still have fun and live well do not you think? If you are not like us... i think you can be friend... we are welcome all people who are like us and support us...do we?

I think it sounds cool to me but also funny too.
What would people think about us in the way we do not expect ? when we wear these in the way we think it is cool instead of....being silly or s*****?:giggle:

LOL I heard that hearing aids are fashionable now since it has cool colors like pink purple etc! :D

Hey, I am new here but I have some questions here on what you guys think about ladysolitary. why do you are affraid to be recognized as a hard hearing person in public...? Is it because you wear the hearing aid or what? why do think other people gonna look down on you just because of your hearing loss?
If you can honestly answer these quetions to yourself, you can see you are just as other people....no one perfect and you know what...I am not agree with what you are saying here... other people, who do not have hearing loss like you, not all of them are bad or make you feel bad about your problem.....So, please be cheer up as Milley said and do not think all people around you hate you....they're just ... busy with their own lives...so...:)

It's not that I'm ashamed of who I am. Nor ashamed of getting a hearing aid and it being showed off.

I think my problem is I've been bullied so much as a child for many years that I sorta had the mindset that the same will continue in the adult world. I know kids can be cruel, but time and technology has changed now.

Back