hi folks, Q on new oticon rise...

toffee_pie

Reaction score
howdy

new here so posting 1st message

i got a 65dB loss in both ears, give or take, maybe 60dB

i had cic aids, a oticon gaia on left and safran on right. i got fed up of these , sometimes they felt like they were not working, just all of a sudden. and of course the blocked up feeling.

so i tried a sebotek 721. which i got now.

it is ok, very discreet but just 4 channels means it got limited technology. listening to tv is pretty bad, i had it adjusted several times, so will have to see how tv sounds again.
listening to speech is not too bad, but the fact tv is further aay makes it more difficult, the different sound levels sometimes make sound too loud and uncomfortable, things like paper rustling etc.
also i can hear my cell fone better without them it seems.

so, onto the oticon rise, i really would love another open ear type, a discreet model, my audiologist tells me my loss is too bad for models like the siemens centra, phonak audeo etc.

i could get a phonak micro power open ear, but the price in ireland for that is about 7thousand euros.......for two:rl:

i am just 30 ish and dont want massive bte hearing aids!

would the oticon rise work for my loss? its also about 3k euro a pair thou.....
phfft.

cheers.....:fingersx:

I'm not a hearing aid expert, but I hate to see a post without a reply so here goes...

I think the quality of your hearing with the hearing aid should take precedence over how it looks. Wearing BTEs is not a big deal and many of them are smaller these days. I wore them for many years and rarely got negative reactions in public, I just never thought about it. They were comfortable and convenient. You can also usually pick different colours to match your hair - I always go for either dark brown or black colours.

Many of the "discreet" hearing aids end up in people's drawers as they aren't particularly good aids and to be honest with you, I don't think they are that discreet either. It looks like something is growing in the ear. I notice that many people struggle with them and do not seem to hear very well even though they have smaller losses. It sounds to me as if your audiologist is telling you that they aren't suitable for your hearing loss. I am not sure if you have a regressive hearing loss but if you lost some more hearing at some point in the future then they might be even more difficult to use.

If you are going to be spending that sort of money, spend it on something that works for you and allows you to do what you want in your lifestyle. Many BTEs for example have good Telecoil settings which allows you to hear on your phone without background noise.

I hope my post isn't too direct!

We went to Ireland for our honeymoon - it's a beautiful country! :)

Despite me wearing hearing aids most of my life, I am now where near an expert in hearing aids. Besides, I wear BTE's not any of the other types, as they wouldn't be powerful enough for someone with a severe-profound hearing loss.

But, uh. . . BTE isn't really that 'massive' as you put it. I don't even feel it on my ear, I hardly ever know that it's there until it's time for me to take it out before I jump in the shower, pool, or go to bed. :] Are you worried that people will notice you & start feeling sorry for you, or something?

These days, people are much more knowledgeable about Deaf & Hard of Hearing people, there's no need to hide it, if you're embarrassed. I feel very sad for those people who feel the need to hide their Deafness or other various issues they have. There's nothing to be ashamed about. :/

Be proud! :]

Sorry if I came off bitchy or offended you or something. :]

Oh and just so you know. I got my Cochlear Implant implanted May 17th & I know that wearing my speech processor when I get it next Weds will make it even more noticeable even thought I'll be wearing the BTE kind, not the body kind. And I still don't give a shit who sees. In fact, I wonder if people will even notice that I am wearing two different things. heh. BTE CI speech processor in my right ear and a BTE hearing aid in my left ear. :]

I got my Cochlear Implant implanted May 17th & I know that wearing my speech processor when I get it next Weds will make it even more noticeable even thought I'll be wearing the BTE kind, not the body kind. And I still don't give a shit who sees.

I agree. I've had absolutely no difference in reaction to wearing my BTE speech processor compared to my BTE hearing aid, which was smaller. People just don't seem to really care. I think if you come across confident and like it's not an issue then people will just follow your lead.

I have oticon Digifocus II hearing aid its a bte but it works great for tv, and other things. I will reply better later

I'm 27, and have worn hearing aids since I was three. Trust me........the BTE aids are not that noticable. Genrally they are more powerful then the dinky ITE aids. I've been told by two reputable audis, one at a school for the deaf (Clarke) and one at Mass. Eye and Ear, that most people can hear better with BTEs. The dinky aids are just a paen to vanity.

howdy

new here so posting 1st message

i got a 65dB loss in both ears, give or take, maybe 60dB

i had cic aids, a oticon gaia on left and safran on right. i got fed up of these , sometimes they felt like they were not working, just all of a sudden. and of course the blocked up feeling.

so i tried a sebotek 721. which i got now.

it is ok, very discreet but just 4 channels means it got limited technology. listening to tv is pretty bad, i had it adjusted several times, so will have to see how tv sounds again.
listening to speech is not too bad, but the fact tv is further aay makes it more difficult, the different sound levels sometimes make sound too loud and uncomfortable, things like paper rustling etc.
also i can hear my cell fone better without them it seems.

so, onto the oticon rise, i really would love another open ear type, a discreet model, my audiologist tells me my loss is too bad for models like the siemens centra, phonak audeo etc.

i could get a phonak micro power open ear, but the price in ireland for that is about 7thousand euros.......for two:rl:

phfft.

If by what you are saying (you have a moderate hearing loss-I'd need to see all the thresholds), there are a multitude of hearing aids that you could wear (Centra, Epoq, ect).

The Oticon hearing aid you are talking about is called the "Epoq", the "RISE" is simply their new chip platform. It is truly the first self contained bluetooth enable hearing aid. You can hook up 8 different devices to them (TV, Cell Phone, Ipod, ect).

Oticon

I'm 27, and have worn hearing aids since I was three. Trust me........the BTE aids are not that noticable. Genrally they are more powerful then the dinky ITE aids. I've been told by two reputable audis, one at a school for the deaf (Clarke) and one at Mass. Eye and Ear, that most people can hear better with BTEs. The dinky aids are just a paen to vanity.

+1

I have the sebotek 720s and Im really not thrilled with them. They do help me, but the amount of help it provides doesnt justify the price I am paying (over 6k). I am thinking of bringing them back to my audi but its been 8 months now and I been paying for them so I dont know if thats going to fly. Before you ask why I waited 8 months; thats because I been going for TONS of adjustments during those months and I've noticed minimal improvements if any so I have prettymuch given up. Again, they do help but I expect more for the price.

I heard good things about the widex inteo elans and I heard of another Widex Inteo M series that is supposedly smaller than the delta oticon, but not out on the market yet. Im going ot ask my audi if I can try them out.

My audi said the sebotek 721s are still kind of buggy and need some kinks worked out so you may want to take that up with your audi if anything.

Good Luck.

I have the sebotek 720s and Im really not thrilled with them. They do help me, but the amount of help it provides doesnt justify the price I am paying (over 6k). I am thinking of bringing them back to my audi but its been 8 months now and I been paying for them so I dont know if thats going to fly. Before you ask why I waited 8 months; thats because I been going for TONS of adjustments during those months and I've noticed minimal improvements if any so I have prettymuch given up. Again, they do help but I expect more for the price.

I heard good things about the widex inteo elans and I heard of another Widex Inteo M series that is supposedly smaller than the delta oticon, but not out on the market yet. Im going ot ask my audi if I can try them out.

My audi said the sebotek 721s are still kind of buggy and need some kinks worked out so you may want to take that up with your audi if anything.

Good Luck.

Unfortunately I think your stuck with the Seboteks, unless the Audiologist can plead with the manufacturer (the most manufacturer's give is 90 days to return the aids for credit).

What types of problems are you having? I can give you some insight as to what to ask the audiologist to adjust or try. Hearing aids aren't "Buggy", they aren't a beta application for a Palm Treo.

Unfortunately I think your stuck with the Seboteks, unless the Audiologist can plead with the manufacturer (the most manufacturer's give is 90 days to return the aids for credit).

What types of problems are you having? I can give you some insight as to what to ask the audiologist to adjust or try. Hearing aids aren't "Buggy", they aren't a beta application for a Palm Treo.

My audi said the 721's were buggy, not the 720s which I have so thats not an issue.

As for my aids. Overrall I just expected more. I struggle in too many situations, particularly one on one conversations in quite environments ESPECIALLY when the person im talking to speaks softly. The aids do help if people speak louder, but I could probably still hear them without the aids. I told my audi before i purchased the aids that i need help in one on one conversations for work purposes and he felt these would help me but more times than not i still ask people to repeat themselves... There are also times when people are speaking loud enough but clarity becomes an issue. I understand these are just aids and wont make me hear everything, but I dont think my expectations are unreasonable. I didnt get these expecting them to allow me to hear a mouse pee on cotton but im paying a steep price and expected more.

The phone program is great though and has helped me a great deal at work.

Are you familiar with seboteks? What are your opinions on them? My audi said he cant think of a better aid for my range of hearing loss.

phfft.

If you go to a Phonak Company in Switzerland or an Oction Company in Denmark, it is probably cheaper to buy the hearing aids at these companies.
I assume that you are in England, and it is not quite that far for you to go there. I just thought of it.

My audi said the 721's were buggy, not the 720s which I have so thats not an issue.

As for my aids. Overrall I just expected more. I struggle in too many situations, particularly one on one conversations in quite environments ESPECIALLY when the person im talking to speaks softly. The aids do help if people speak louder, but I could probably still hear them without the aids. I told my audi before i purchased the aids that i need help in one on one conversations for work purposes and he felt these would help me but more times than not i still ask people to repeat themselves... There are also times when people are speaking loud enough but clarity becomes an issue. I understand these are just aids and wont make me hear everything, but I dont think my expectations are unreasonable. I didnt get these expecting them to allow me to hear a mouse pee on cotton but im paying a steep price and expected more.

The phone program is great though and has helped me a great deal at work.

Are you familiar with seboteks? What are your opinions on them? My audi said he cant think of a better aid for my range of hearing loss.

I am familure with seboteks, they are decent, but I believe there are better hearing aids out there. If you have a recent audiogram it would help to know the thresholds from 250-4000Hz. It would also help to know your word recognition ability (what % you got right when he/she had you repeat the words "An, yard, car, ect")

If you are having a difficult time with one on one conversation in quiet, that is an issue. That is one area a hearing aid should excel in. They should be able to increase the gain of the hearing aids for soft sounds. In terms of clarity on loud sounds, the gain should be increase for high frequency loud sounds a touch (unless you complained at one point that your voice sounded too tinny, then they would have decreased the gain for high frequency loud sounds).

I am familure with seboteks, they are decent, but I believe there are better hearing aids out there. If you have a recent audiogram it would help to know the thresholds from 250-4000Hz. It would also help to know your word recognition ability (what % you got right when he/she had you repeat the words "An, yard, car, ect")

If you are having a difficult time with one on one conversation in quiet, that is an issue. That is one area a hearing aid should excel in. They should be able to increase the gain of the hearing aids for soft sounds. In terms of clarity on loud sounds, the gain should be increase for high frequency loud sounds a touch (unless you complained at one point that your voice sounded too tinny, then they would have decreased the gain for high frequency loud sounds).

That is what's really frustrating me. I struggle to hear people in quite situations, sometimes when they are standing right next to me. Dont get me wrong, its not all the time, but its too often to the point where I dont think the aids are worth the price. Im just a little upset because im about to start a new position at work soon that will involve more one on one interacting with clients and i really dont have much faith in the aids anymore. I know I shouldnt have waited this long but I really believed that if we continue to adjust the aids we'd get them where I want to be. My audi even set me up with a visit from the technician from sebotek and that didnt help much either.

Would you be willing to PM me your email address? I can email you my audiogram.

Thanks for your help.

I'm late responding to this thread, but wanted to offer my comments.

I've worn BTE hearing aids for over 20 years. I received my first pair of HAs at age 15 (my hearing loss was moderately-severe at the time). Being the self-concious teenager I was, my audi purposely did not show me ITE (in the ear) or CIC (completely in canal) aids because she knew that if my loss continued to progress (which it did), I would be more resistant to using BTEs. I had the opportunity to see this audi shortly after my first CI was activated and thanked her for the decision she made. If I had worn ITEs or CICs, I know the transition to BTEs would have been difficult given my resistance to wearing them.

Some of the advantages I found to using BTEs include:

*The ability to have more amplification added should my hearing loss get progressively worse in the future.

*Being able to connect to FM systems and other devices like CD players using direct audio input (DAI).

*Less repairs compared to ITEs and CICs.

*Larger controls

I would think that ITEs and CICs would be more noticeable than BTEs given how they sit in the ear canal. In the 20 years I've worn BTEs, I've never had anyone comment negatively on my aids. In fact, I often found that people couldn't even see them because of how my hair covered them and the way the beige coloring blended with my skin.

I now have bilateral CIs with black BTE processors. While some people notice them, they are more likely to ask, "Is that a bluetooth headset you're wearing?" :) I don't mind either way if people see my processors because the most important thing is being able to hear.

I now have bilateral CIs with black BTE processors. While some people notice them, they are more likely to ask, "Is that a bluetooth headset you're wearing?" :) I don't mind either way if people see my processors because the most important thing is being able to hear.

Correct. It is more important for you to hear something.

If a young teenager asks me if I am a borg. I'll say to him, "Yes. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service ours." :ugh3: :giggle:

Oticon Epoq

The fitting range for the open fit BTE Oticon Epoq aids is up to 80 dBHL (you may need a custom earpiece if you have more than a 40dB loss at 500 Hz). The aids are really thin and not very noticeable with the thin tube.

The fitting range for the open fit BTE Oticon Epoq aids is up to 80 dBHL (you may need a custom earpiece if you have more than a 40dB loss at 500 Hz). The aids are really thin and not very noticeable with the thin tube.

Oh, I am disappointed. I was hoping that it would be 95 db or 100 db so that they wouldn't notice me wearing the aids.

Maybe next year, it will be a plastic thin hearing aid. If it costs $8,000 a piece, then we must not buy any hearing aid from the same company. It hurt us enough. Hearies have saved so much money than deafies. i.e. too expensive to buy one like this:

- a TTY ($400 to $800)
- a pager $100 plus monthly fee
- a signal doorbell over $100
- a smoke alarm over $100
- a hearing aid $600 to $3,000

Some of these items won't last. My mini TTY and doorbell device are broken. It isn't worth for me to have them repaired just for almost the same price as buying new ones. Oh brother!

Oh, I am disappointed. I was hoping that it would be 95 db or 100 db so that they wouldn't notice me wearing the aids.

Maybe next year, it will be a plastic thin hearing aid. If it costs $8,000 a piece, then we must not buy any hearing aid from the same company. It hurt us enough. Hearies have saved so much money than deafies. i.e. too expensive to buy one like this:

- a TTY ($400 to $800)
- a pager $100 plus monthly fee
- a signal doorbell over $100
- a smoke alarm over $100
- a hearing aid $600 to $3,000

Some of these items won't last. My mini TTY and doorbell device are broken. It isn't worth for me to have them repaired just for almost the same price as buying new ones. Oh brother!

This is a little off-topic, but some states have telephone assistance programs that will pay for TTYs, amplified phones and other kinds of telephone equipment.

Vocational rehabilitation is another resource that may help cover the cost of the items mentioned above.

In my case, DVR paid for an Alertmaster 6000 while the state's telephone assistance program paid for my TeleBraille III and NexTalk. My smoke alarm was provided free by my apartment complex under the ADA/Fair Housing Act.

Be sure to check into these resources...they could save you alot of money. :)

Back