Hi, everyone

philliesfan

Reaction score
I am a 49 year old deaf man. I lost my hearing when I was about 2 and 1/2 years old to the mumps. I wear a HA in one ear, and I taught myself to read lips at a very young age. I have had only 1 deaf friend my whole life, so this will be a new experience for me. A deaf family member told me about this site, so I thought I would come on here and check it out, and maybe get some insights to problems I have once in a while with the hearing world.

Welcome! There's a huge Deaf (HOH friendly) community in PA.... you should try to get involved....and damn how sad is it, that there are people old enough to be GRANDPARENTS who experienced the downsides of inclusion?

Hey! Welcome to the group. I love your username. I used to be a huge Phillies fan back in the Len Dykstra days.

Funny thing - my deaf daughter didn't realize she reads lips. We mentioned something to her once about how many deaf people read lips and she asked, "Do I?" Uh.... YES!!! I didn't realize she might not know!

Thank you for the welcomes, everybody!

Shiloh, so you're not a Phillies fan anymore? That '93 team was awesome. Too bad they had to lose to Toronto in the Ws that year.

Hey! Welcome to the group. I love your username. I used to be a huge Phillies fan back in the Len Dykstra days.

Funny thing - my deaf daughter didn't realize she reads lips. We mentioned something to her once about how many deaf people read lips and she asked, "Do I?" Uh.... YES!!! I didn't realize she might not know!

Lipreading is not that easy as we miss words or sentences which mean it is not accurate. We can only pick out or guess at least 30% of what the hearing person said. If someone want to lipread, fine. It is always better to use ASL. It is more clearer and less agony when we sign. :wave:

deafdyke said:
Welcome! There's a huge Deaf (HOH friendly) community in PA.... you should try to get involved....and damn how sad is it, that there are people old enough to be GRANDPARENTS who experienced the downsides of inclusion?
Yes..it is very sad. Painful for anyone of us who love him to s
ee him so closed off from the world around him.

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

Back