Hey

ash345

Audist Free Zone
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi my Name is Ash, I am 22, graduated with my BS in Sociology a year ago... then found out I really couldn't use it. I have congenital moderate Bilateral progressive hearingloss and my audiologist told me I will loose my hearing completely when I am around 30 if it continues how it has. I am trying to learn sign language, and have used hearing aids since I was 8. I would love to meet other HoH or Deaf individuals in the Denver area, for friendship and being able to use sign with someone who isn't my mirror. I am currently a computer tech, but I am looking into either getting my masters in Industrial Organizational Psychology or Deaf Education.

Hey! :wave: Welcome to AllDeaf! Although I think I've seen you around a little bit recently. :) I'm not near the Denver area. I'm actaully moving in a month even further away, BUT I do have Skype. I know it's not the same as practicing in person but I'd be happy to help out until you do find people in or around your area. Have you looked around or attended any Deaf Socials in your area? Denver, being a main city I would guess they would have quite a few different events and gatherings but I'm really not sure.

Hey! :wave: Welcome to AllDeaf! Although I think I've seen you around a little bit recently. :) I'm not near the Denver area. I'm actaully moving in a month even further away, BUT I do have Skype. I know it's not the same as practicing in person but I'd be happy to help out until you do find people in or around your area. Have you looked around or attended any Deaf Socials in your area? Denver, being a main city I would guess they would have quite a few different events and gatherings but I'm really not sure.
HI!
and thank you, I would really appreciate the skype :) Yes I have looked around for Deaf Socials in Denver, but the only ones I have found, I can not go to. When I lived in San Diego there was Deaf Days, which was really fun, sort of like a "Gay Pride" for the Deaf! I haven't been able to find anything like that in Denver yet though. I am a member of "Greater Denver Deaf Social Club" and the "Hearing Loss Association of Colorado" on Meetup, so hopefully there will be something soon.
I've lived here for almost a year, and frankly I have been feeling very lonely. With my hearing loss I don't fit into the Hearing world, not even with my hearing aids, but because I am not fluent in sign *yet* I don't fit into the Deaf world either... I feel trapped between Earth and Eyeth.:( For most of my life I've been trying to hide my hearing issues, I've been told I need to fit in with the hearing, because all of my family is hearing. It wasn't until High School that I even met a Deaf person, someone kind of like me. I tried to jump all in, and I crashed... I would love to feel like I fit in somewhere... but I just don't... hopefully once I meet some Deaf people here... once I get into the Deaf Culture in a new city... hopefully I will be home... I feel more comfortable in the Deaf World anyway, because people aren't judging that I can't hear what they just said... or that I've asked them 6 times to repeat them, or move their hands from their lips. I don't know if this is even making sense... but its what I feel.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you can get use being here and learn all about us discussing or debating. Just enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

:welcome: to AD!

How come you cant use your BA degree in Sociology?

Hi my Name is Ash, I am 22, graduated with my BS in Sociology a year ago... then found out I really couldn't use it. I have congenital moderate Bilateral progressive hearingloss and my audiologist told me I will loose my hearing completely when I am around 30 if it continues how it has. I am trying to learn sign language, and have used hearing aids since I was 8. I would love to meet other HoH or Deaf individuals in the Denver area, for friendship and being able to use sign with someone who isn't my mirror. I am currently a computer tech, but I am looking into either getting my masters in Industrial Organizational Psychology or Deaf Education.

Bold statement, Bachelor of Science? In Sociology, you need BA for Bachelor of Arts. I love Sociology and I was good at the community college in Seattle, Washington. Sociology comes with Psychology too. :hmm:

Bold statement, Bachelor of Science? In Sociology, you need BA for Bachelor of Arts. I love Sociology and I was good at the community college in Seattle, Washington. Sociology comes with Psychology too. :hmm:

No, actually I did receive my Bachelor of Science In Sociology, with a Minor in Criminal Justice From Northern Arizona University. You Don't need A BA... I technically didn't have to have a minor because I chose an extended major, which means I took more classes than most of my classmates. I love Soc as well... but without a Masters... you can't really do anything with it... and I didn't know that prior to leaving school...
Sociology and Psychology are two totally different fields to me. I couldn't understand how some people double majored in them... Sociology is about the group as a whole, the community, and the larger community (or lack there of) that a community is a part of... psychology just looks at the individual... when there is so much more to someone than the individual...
I know its confusing... but its social science!

No, actually I did receive my Bachelor of Science In Sociology, with a Minor in Criminal Justice From Northern Arizona University. You Don't need A BA... I technically didn't have to have a minor because I chose an extended major, which means I took more classes than most of my classmates. I love Soc as well... but without a Masters... you can't really do anything with it... and I didn't know that prior to leaving school...
Sociology and Psychology are two totally different fields to me. I couldn't understand how some people double majored in them... Sociology is about the group as a whole, the community, and the larger community (or lack there of) that a community is a part of... psychology just looks at the individual... when there is so much more to someone than the individual...
I know its confusing... but its social science!

:cool: Cool, I have never thought of that way. Thank you for straighten that out for me. You are absolutely right that the Sociology and Psychology are two big different fields. I was suppose to become a Mental Health counselor for the d/Deaf communities. But Psychology was very difficult field and I really hate that subject. Sociology is the one I like very much and don't know what to do with it, if I could not find a job with that. I don't do very good job on my grade on Psychology. No one encouraged me to kept trying and kept up with trying to get ahead with Psychology. Oh, well. I learned the hard way.
:wave:

:cool: Cool, I have never thought of that way. Thank you for straighten that out for me. You are absolutely right that the Sociology and Psychology are two big different fields. I was suppose to become a Mental Health counselor for the d/Deaf communities. But Psychology was very difficult field and I really hate that subject. Sociology is the one I like very much and don't know what to do with it, if I could not find a job with that. I don't do very good job on my grade on Psychology. No one encouraged me to kept trying and kept up with trying to get ahead with Psychology. Oh, well. I learned the hard way.
:wave:

I'm sure you could have done it, it just takes changing your mindset.. quite a bit. I think for counselors, knowing the big picture (or sociology) would make a big difference in the way they treat the individual... I guess it could be better for them to take both classes.

I'm hoping to go back to college, get my masters, but first... I need to go back and actually learn the language I wish I would have grown up knowing, the language my parents were told to teach me... the language I love. After I finish that, and actually get it down, I will go back for something... just not sure what yet.

Good for you. But I'm also surprised you can't use your B.S. in Sociology. Granted, it's a tough time everywhere to be job searching. How did you get the job as a computer tech, starting with a B.S. in Sociology?

Computer technology is a good field in itself, probably will pay more in the long run than sociology-related jobs, but it's important to do what you love and what you have the most interest in. If you do go back for an M.A. or M.S., are you thinking more computer tech or more toward the sociology side?

What you've got now, Soc. with a minor in Criminal Justice, sounds like a strong background to me.

Anyway - welcome to AD. There are many talented folks here from a wide variety of backgrounds, so you will fit right in! Have fun.

Good for you. But I'm also surprised you can't use your B.S. in Sociology. Granted, it's a tough time everywhere to be job searching. How did you get the job as a computer tech, starting with a B.S. in Sociology?

Well... everywhere I've searched for positions, they either require a masters or more than 2 years experience... which even with my internships I did, I don't have. I've been doing work as a computer tech since i was about 11, my dad was an electrical engineer, so I learned a lot from him.

Computer technology is a good field in itself, probably will pay more in the long run than sociology-related jobs, but it's important to do what you love and what you have the most interest in. If you do go back for an M.A. or M.S., are you thinking more computer tech or more toward the sociology side?

What you've got now, Soc. with a minor in Criminal Justice, sounds like a strong background to me.

Anyway - welcome to AD. There are many talented folks here from a wide variety of backgrounds, so you will fit right in! Have fun.

and yes, it is a good field to be in, I do enjoy it, but I would really like to do something to help people. I've been thinking getting my Masters in Industrial Organizational Psychology, which would allow me to be in an HR position, or even a Disability Coordinator in a company. The other thing I have been thinking about is going back and getting my Masters in Deaf Education, so I can help kids who are Dhh, not go through what I did.

But you are prob right, being a computer tech prob does pay more than most of the other, but I'm leaning towards still getting my masters. I love education, and if I have the right tools, (aka learning ASL and having a terp in class, not having to rely on lip reading) then doing that will be better for me. I love my job, but sometimes... sometimes its not enough... I know I can do better, I know I can be what I want, be who I want... I'm not letting the world tell me I can't anymore... I've learned from that...

Thanks for the welcome.

Good for you, it sounds like you are thinking it through.

I'm a big fan, personally, of taking a couple years off between your undergraduate and grad school programs. Two years or so in the working world can help clarify what you want to do. I'm biased maybe because that's what I did, and it worked out well. In my grad classes, the people who had worked for a while seemed more focused on what they wanted out of their Master's program.

That said: if you like computer tech AND sociology, there probably will be a way to combine the two of them somehow. Some good job advice I got years ago: if you have skills in different areas, write up your own job description, and go out and hire yourself a boss. You have a unique skill set that way, and can sell yourself on that basis.

Good for you, it sounds like you are thinking it through.

I'm a big fan, personally, of taking a couple years off between your undergraduate and grad school programs. Two years or so in the working world can help clarify what you want to do. I'm biased maybe because that's what I did, and it worked out well. In my grad classes, the people who had worked for a while seemed more focused on what they wanted out of their Master's program.

That said: if you like computer tech AND sociology, there probably will be a way to combine the two of them somehow. Some good job advice I got years ago: if you have skills in different areas, write up your own job description, and go out and hire yourself a boss. You have a unique skill set that way, and can sell yourself on that basis.

Yeah I graduated in 2010, I know I'm gonna take a few years off... its already been one, but prob more like 4 or 5. I need to get my ASL much better before I even think of trying to do my graduate program... my undergrad was hard enough as it was with all the assistance my school gave me, from an FM device to notes of the lectures... ASL seems like it will be my saving grace, especially since my audi tells me I will be profound by 30, I have no prob with that as long as I get my ASL. My mom wants me to look into CI, but I don't think that's what I want... I just want to be me with nothing that isn't removable... and the CI, really isn't removable.

I have congenital moderate Bilateral progressive hearingloss and my audiologist told me I will loose my hearing completely when I am around 30 if it continues how it has. I am trying to learn sign language, and have used hearing aids since I was 8. I would love to meet other HoH or Deaf individuals in the Denver area, for friendship and being able to use sign with someone who isn't my mirror.
ash, I've got moderately severe loss too! Trust me, there are a TON....and I mean a TON of hohers in the Deaf World....We need to hook you up with postsfromhell.....It will come the fluency....There is a really good Deaf School near you, the Rocky Mountain Deaf School, which is in Golden. Maybe you could go to events and stuff like that!!!!!
With my hearing loss I don't fit into the Hearing world, not even with my hearing aids, but because I am not fluent in sign *yet* I don't fit into the Deaf world either... I feel trapped between Earth and Eyeth. For most of my life I've been trying to hide my hearing issues, I've been told I need to fit in with the hearing, because all of my family is hearing. It wasn't until High School that I even met a Deaf person, someone kind of like me. I tried to jump all in, and I crashed... I would love to feel like I fit in somewhere... but I just don't... hopefully once I meet some Deaf people here... once I get into the Deaf Culture in a new city... hopefully I will be home... I feel more comfortable in the Deaf World anyway, because people aren't judging that I can't hear what they just said... or that I've asked them 6 times to repeat them, or move their hands from their lips. I don't know if this is even making sense... but its what I feel.
Very common experiance. I would LOVE to kill the "expert" who pushed the myth that hoh kids are more hearing then deaf. Think about it this way.....we hoh kids have the best of both worlds...we can hear, but we can ALSO be Deaf.

ash, I've got moderately severe loss too! Trust me, there are a TON....and I mean a TON of hohers in the Deaf World....We need to hook you up with postsfromhell.....It will come the fluency....There is a really good Deaf School near you, the Rocky Mountain Deaf School, which is in Golden. Maybe you could go to events and stuff like that!!!!!
Very common experiance. I would LOVE to kill the "expert" who pushed the myth that hoh kids are more hearing then deaf. Think about it this way.....we hoh kids have the best of both worlds...we can hear, but we can ALSO be Deaf.

I have actually met postsfromhell, He lives in the same town I work in :) we've been talking quite a bit, which will help. I'm gonna have to look into Rocky Mountain Deaf School, I drive through golden every day. I looked into taking more ASL Classes, but apparently I no longer qualify for financial aid... but should for the 2012-2013 school year... so one more year I guess...

Back