Hey All!

mev426

Reaction score
I'm new here, my name is Mary! I'm 16 years old and have moderately severe hearing loss in my right ear and severe hearing loss in my left. I have worn hearing aids since I was five, even though my parents knew about my loss since birth. I was born with almost no cartilage in the outside part of my ear also, so I had to get surgery to move some from my ribs to my ears before I was even able to wear hearing aids. I had Starkey BTEs from age 5 until 14, when I had another surgery to try to get my ears pinned back more. Then, for some reason, my audi fitted me with Unitron ultra-small open-fit BTEs, which I now realize are not powerful enough for my loss. An appt with a new audi is in the works! Excited to get colorful molds:) I'm really enjoying this site so far!!

HI and welcome! My daughter will turn 16 in a few weeks. :)

Hi Mary! I have a teen friend in Houston.....are you looking for ASL resources and Deaf Ed things? You could go to camp at TSD maybe....there's a lot of stuff out there. Summer Camps for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children and Teens
Texas School for the Deaf
and the Texas School for the Deaf site is also very useful.....Texas School for the Deaf
...Just as an aside, TSD is now becoming a REALLY good Deaf School.....You could also go to camp at Gally or NTID.....Summer Youth Programs - Gallaudet University
and http://www.ntid.rit.edu/outreach....heck here's the whole shebang of Deaf Camps: Summer Camps for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children and Teens
If you're religious there's a Deaf Baptist camp: LIFE Deaf Youth Camp
There's a plethora of resources out there........
and HOH kids can attend Deaf Schools/programs and camps, so don't let the thinking that an audiogram defines Deafness keep you away from your identity!

Hi Mary! I have a teen friend in Houston.....are you looking for ASL resources and Deaf Ed things? You could go to camp at TSD maybe....there's a lot of stuff out there. Summer Camps for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children and Teens
Texas School for the Deaf
and the Texas School for the Deaf site is also very useful.....Texas School for the Deaf
...Just as an aside, TSD is now becoming a REALLY good Deaf School.....You could also go to camp at Gally or NTID.....Summer Youth Programs - Gallaudet University
and http://www.ntid.rit.edu/outreach....heck here's the whole shebang of Deaf Camps: Summer Camps for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children and Teens

If you're religious there's a Deaf Baptist camp: LIFE Deaf Youth Camp
There's a plethora of resources out there........
and HOH kids can attend Deaf Schools/programs and camps, so don't let the thinking that an audiogram defines Deafness keep you away from your identity!

Hi! I actually grew up knowing no ASL at all, and attending a mainstreamed school. I would love to learn though, its a beautiful language! I don't have any friends here that are DHH, they're all hearing!

However, I would love some advice on ear molds! I posted a thread under Hearing aids & cochlear implants about this also, but I'm getting some new BTEs in the next couple of weeks and wanted some input about hard vs. soft molds, colors, etc.

welcome to AD, I have the same loss as you! (moderate-severe in left and severe on the right) :D

welcome to AD, I have the same loss as you! (moderate-severe in left and severe on the right) :D

:hmm: :crazy: how old are you?

EDIT: Just saw that it says your age! Sorry!! Also, its kinda cool that we're swapped! I've always wondered what it'd be like if my left ear was dominant because so much that I do revolves around hearing out of my right ear! (I've grown up in a hearing world, no ASL)

Last edited:

EDIT: Just saw that it says your age! Sorry!! Also, its kinda cool that we're swapped! I've always wondered what it'd be like if my left ear was dominant because so much that I do revolves around hearing out of my right ear! (I've grown up in a hearing world, no ASL)

Just wanted to say I have a moderately severe loss sloping to profound as well......and again, if you're interested in adding ASL, look into the links I gave......HOH kids are welcome in Deaf culture too!

Just wanted to say I have a moderately severe loss sloping to profound as well......and again, if you're interested in adding ASL, look into the links I gave......HOH kids are welcome in Deaf culture too!

Thanks for all the links! I'll look into them and see if they help :ty:
I've also been trying to learn using Lifeprint.com!

Thanks for all the links! I'll look into them and see if they help :ty:
I've also been trying to learn using Lifeprint.com!

You could always go to camp and learn by immersion. There's always a lot of kids who go to Deaf Schools or camps knowing NO Sign, and then they become fluent. One of the kids here went to Gally's summer camp, knowing NO Sign, and then picked it up. He's now at NTID. ...... Also some Houston based resources...
Sam Houston State University, Clear Creek ISD, (they have a dhh high school program here), Union County College, North Houston Community College or contact Darla Conner at Houston Center for Independent Living

Forgot...........are you religious? There is a Deaf Baptist Church in Houston.
Woodhaven Baptist Deaf Church
There is also a Deaf Baptist camp in Dallas: LIFE Deaf Youth Camp
There's a plethora of resources out there........and god bet you anything you would go to a deaf camp and then learn ASL by immersion......and it would open a whole new world for you!

hey I'm Christin and Im 16 and lost my hearing recently and know no one my age that is deaf too all my friends left because they couldnt understand me or I couldnt understand them I'm still in public school and could use some help practicintv my ASL if you know any

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

ikr? it's so crazy but I may be the weird girl whose left ear fluctuate at random times :laugh2:

Hey Mary what part of Houston are you in? My name is sidney and I have moderate severe to profound HL and is in Houston also, I am planning on going to the deaf youth life camp this summer

Hey Mary what part of Houston are you in? My name is sidney and I have moderate severe to profound HL and is in Houston also, I am planning on going to the deaf youth life camp this summer

Hi Sidney! I'm in West U, where are you? How old are you?

Omg! Not far for me! My mom bf live over there! In in cypress about 30 mins over. I'm 15 yrs old

OMG Sidney, you're here too! :D thanks for joining the site! (Sidney and I are nutty Oticon chicks)

christineatsflowers said:
hey I'm Christin and Im 16 and lost my hearing recently and know no one my age that is deaf too all my friends left because they couldnt understand me or I couldnt understand them I'm still in public school and could use some help practicintv my ASL if you know any

hey christin I'm 16 too! but I'm hearing but I would be willing to help you with practicing your ASL i need to practice mine too. I've been taking sign classes at my school for about 3 years now. just let me know if you're interested!

Back