Help us get more captions on YouTube.

andyeverywhere

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

At subtube, we want to bring more closed captions and subtitles to online video content. Starting with YouTube - which has an excellent closed caption facility that automatically generates nonsense most of the time I use it. We're getting pretty annoyed that we still can't understand videos even in these days of high-tech and instant communication.

We want to know about YouTube videos that have annoyed you because they didn't have closed captions - videos that you think should have captions - and videos with the kind of automatically-generated closed captions that can be as funny as they are infuriating.

Please send us your links and thoughts as we decide how to focus our campaign.

More info here

I am for it! I don't bother turning on the captions for youtube because they are mixed up and don't match what's being said. That frustrates me. Captions are correct for tv and cable but yet on youtube, forget it. It's as if a drunk person did the typing.

it doesn't work link! it is very, it doesn't found link correct link!

I am for it! I don't bother turning on the captions for youtube because they are mixed up and don't match what's being said. That frustrates me. Captions are correct for tv and cable but yet on youtube, forget it. It's as if a drunk person did the typing.

I think it's someone intentionally being a A#### who types it. I can't tell if they're mocking the hearing impaired or just an idiot. It would be nice if we could get subtitles regardless of the language.

Laura

I think it's someone intentionally being a A#### who types it. I can't tell if they're mocking the hearing impaired or just an idiot. It would be nice if we could get subtitles regardless of the language.

Laura

nobody's typing it's speech to text, software is "recognizing" the words said, except it sucks.

I would like to put more of my energy getting CC to work better on my TV. It is so, so bad. Hubby always tells me that he can't believe with all the technology we have today that CC still sucks almost every show we watch. I have so many samples of bad CC....have you ever tried to watch Letterman. OMG so many errors. Dateline, 20/20 the reporters are speaking a good ten seconds before the CC starts, then it is always way behind. Sports the CC is a joke.

Example just now watching baseball and CC was suppose to say "The Giants beat the Diamond Backs". CC says "the Gibts beat Diamonds are Back" SMH!!!!!

Example just now watching baseball and CC was suppose to say "The Giants beat the Diamond Backs". CC says "the Gibts beat Diamonds are Back" SMH!!!!!

lol, that happens a lot with our version of CC in th UK. Drives me mad!

I would like to put more of my energy getting CC to work better on my TV. It is so, so bad. Hubby always tells me that he can't believe with all the technology we have today that CC still sucks almost every show we watch. I have so many samples of bad CC....have you ever tried to watch Letterman. OMG so many errors. Dateline, 20/20 the reporters are speaking a good ten seconds before the CC starts, then it is always way behind. Sports the CC is a joke.

Anything live is going to have a little delay, and errors. There isn't a script to type and edit...they're having to do it on the fly, and no time for proofreading.

Anything live is going to have a little delay, and errors. There isn't a script to type and edit...they're having to do it on the fly, and no time for proofreading.

I understand the "little delay" but what I am talking about goes way past that. One person will speak, then the second, back to the first....there is such a delay that most times the CC is never typed for the second person. We miss half a conversation. I just don't understand why this is acceptable?????? Here CC is sponsored by different companies and most shows have different sponsors. Is that the norm everywhere????? Sleep Train, the mattress company is one of the sponsors.:shock:

I understand the "little delay" but what I am talking about goes way past that. One person will speak, then the second, back to the first....there is such a delay that most times the CC is never typed for the second person. We miss half a conversation. I just don't understand why this is acceptable?????? Here CC is sponsored by different companies and most shows have different sponsors. Is that the norm everywhere????? Sleep Train, the mattress company is one of the sponsors.:shock:

No I think that's pretty normal, it's just going to be really really hard. I tried watching the debates live, forget it. It was too confusing, they show Obama talking but it would be Romneys words on the screen. I ended up watching them later after the CCs were added. I just don't think live captions are something that can't realistically be done WELL.

I agree, transcribing live material is really hard. I just tried to do a show that whatdidyousay posted a link to, because there were no captions. I had to play it over and over to go back and type things I'd missed. And I'm a fast typist. *And* they weren't talking all that fast - there were long pauses between sentences where I'd have thought I'd be able to get caught up. But it was just hard to do. Even after all that, I reread what I'd posted and *still* found things I'd screwed up. And I was doing this with a fresh brain. I can only imagine how your mind might start to turn to goo after a few hours of this - I mean for people doing it as part of a job. Of course they're probably better at it from practice too, but still, it was impressively difficult. I didn't expect it to be so hard.

Back