Help! Questions on SSI?

Jennakelly11

Reaction score
Hey guys!
So I am a student in ASL 3! My teacher has us doing a project to learn about deaf culture topics. I chose SSI for my culture topic. He wants us to write an essay on what we have found and I have found nothing! He says we need to interview at least 3 deaf people! So I have some questions! Hopefully you can help!
1. I saw on "Talk About It" the man said he has seen more people abusing ssi. What's your opinion?
2. What is your general opinion of ssi?
3. In some cases, the parents of a deaf child will force their child to depend on ssi, what's your opinion?
4. Do you think a deaf person should search for a job or depend on ssi during college?

You can choose a question to answer or pick all! Please, if you are willing, to write your name and the city you are in. Thanks so much!

Curious,

What does SSI relates with your ASL major? :confused:

Is your teacher hearing or Deaf?

Lastly, Why does teacher think SSI is part of Deaf culture? :confused:????

SSI is for everyone, not only Deaf people. SSI does apply to hearing people, pretty a lot more than deaf people/

Damn...... I mean DAMN!

It gets old getting students in here asking us to help with their homework every single day, day after day after day.... you think they'd start telling each other and it would eventually get back to their teachers that the Deaf people at AD are tired of students coming here and pestering us for assignment help and we are not their lab-rats... but apparently, that has not happened.... we can still dream.

However, this has to be a new low. SSI being a topic of Deaf culture and somebody ACTUALLY choosing it... and somebody ACTUALLY having the balls to come here and ask for help with it... WOW! You sir... you sir have some frikkin guts... that's all I have to say... I mean, holy frikkin crap....

There is no way that teacher is Deaf.... no... way... Not with a "Deaf culture topic" like that... No way... no way....

Nice to know someone thinks SSI is a part of Deaf culture... :mad2:

I really hope that the "deaf culture topic" wasn't exactly worded that way- that's more asinine than if the OP thought up the question as part of the deaf culture list of topics. I mean a teacher yet....

Ignorant and insulting come to mind.....agree, Mew!

I like Frisky's questions much better!

wow!! really?! you are so sorely misinformed!!!

I want to find this teacher that keeps sending these students here or hinting they can look on all deaf..

I think alex needs a new picture page on alldeaf saying not for surveys or asl kids and a warning on registration page.

Hey Jenna!
I will answer like jepordy - in form of a question!
1. I hear alot of asl students are abusing internet forums to do their homework for them. Whats your opinion?
2. What is your opinion of relying on the internet rather then becoming involved in your local community?
3. Do you think internet communities owe you their time?
4. Do you think a asl student should use their skills on an internet forum or find a real life application?

You can choose a question to answer or pick all! Please, if you are willing, to write your name and the city you are in so we can all tell your teacher how his assignment sucks. Thanks so much!

Last edited:
wow!! really?! you are so sorely misinformed!!!

I want to find this teacher that keeps sending these students here or hinting they can look on all deaf..

I think alex needs a new picture page on alldeaf saying not for surveys or asl kids and a warning on registration page.

Not all teachers are as naive as that one, I'm a student and I have a cousin who is deaf and I am learning ASL because not only do I know some one but also I find your community to be a very beautiful one. My teacher isn't deaf but he's been teaching for 10+ years and my topic was the history per-say how ASL was developed and your culture/community. I would hope not to be generalized along with students who are here for homework when I genuinely want to make friends and be apart of your world. If I said that correctly, but I'm 100% behind the statements made as to how insensitive some people can be about something they barely know anything about "/.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Hey guys!
So I am a student in ASL 3! My teacher has us doing a project to learn about deaf culture topics. I chose SSI for my culture topic. He wants us to write an essay on what we have found and I have found nothing! He says we need to interview at least 3 deaf people! So I have some questions! Hopefully you can help!
1. I saw on "Talk About It" the man said he has seen more people abusing ssi. What's your opinion?
2. What is your general opinion of ssi?
3. In some cases, the parents of a deaf child will force their child to depend on ssi, what's your opinion?
4. Do you think a deaf person should search for a job or depend on ssi during college?

You can choose a question to answer or pick all! Please, if you are willing, to write your name and the city you are in. Thanks so much!

Jennakelly, I am going to be blunt. SSI in no way qualifies as a topic in the Deaf culture. Granted, there is an association between the Deaf/Hard of Hearing population and SSI/SSDI, yes. But that is one thing and entirely another thing to consider the use of SSI as a cultural norm in the Deaf/Hard of Hearing community. Get your facts straight. Your decision to do research on SSI/SSDI in the Deaf/Hard of Hearing community is rather offensive and, if I may add, condescending. If you are going to learn about and appreciate the Deaf culture in full, I would advise that you consider changing your research topic.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf. Please excuse any grammatical or spelling errors.

Back