Help me understand.

I'm not for or against CIs itself, but the behavior that people show after they get CIs.

You're deaf. With a hearing aid, you hear. With CI, you hear. Without either, you're still deaf. That's something that should be accepted

Some people consider CI a "cure" to deafness, but that isn't true. If they take their CI off, they're deaf again. Sometimes, they stop acknowledging their deafness and change their views towards Deaf Culture. Some of them even stop signing and don't socialize with deaf people any more.

Some people get CIs and still acknowledge their deaf identity. Those are the ones I appreciate and respect. They may improve on their speech, grammar, or their social skills with hearing people... but they don't change their attitude towards deaf people.[/QUOTE]

Yea, that's why I dont think twice about their CIs like I used to 5 years ago. I realized that (thanks to this forum and my job) it does no good to give people an attitude about their decision in getting a CI. I am seeing more and more deaf people with CIs at deaf events now as opposed to 5 years ago. Man, things can change a lot in 5 years! :)

You have all opened many new questions and ideas for my paper; thank you! I read a blog the other day by a gal in college who attended a seminar about CI. In her blog she mentioned that persons with CI can not ride rollar-costers or have MRI's. She also mentioned children with CI shouldnt play on plastic toys and that persons should be aware of the possible risks riding in Hybrid cars! The above cautions are due to magnetic and static factors that may erase CI devices. Is any of this true?

You can get a low grade MRI without having to have the magnet removed with the Med-El implant. No issue there.

You have all opened many new questions and ideas for my paper; thank you! I read a blog the other day by a gal in college who attended a seminar about CI. In her blog she mentioned that persons with CI can not ride rollar-costers or have MRI's. She also mentioned children with CI shouldnt play on plastic toys and that persons should be aware of the possible risks riding in Hybrid cars! The above cautions are due to magnetic and static factors that may erase CI devices. Is any of this true?

oh if only if you knew the abuse I put on my CI. None of it effect my CI. Of course I never done MRI before, but I have deal with static shock all the time because of my son's plastic playground and wearing fleece jacket in wintertime.

I sat close to speakers before we all know speakers can damage monitors and televisions. my cochlear have stuck on metal objects because is magnetic itself. If the magnet headpiece got stuck on the processor, it rarely get damage. It take a strong magnetic or static to do any damage.

"Deafness" Need Not Be "Acknowledged"

I'm not for or against CIs itself, but the behavior that people show after they get CIs.

You're deaf. With a hearing aid, you hear. With CI, you hear. Without either, you're still deaf. That's something that should be accepted

Some people consider CI a "cure" to deafness, but that isn't true. If they take their CI off, they're deaf again. Sometimes, they stop acknowledging their deafness and change their views towards Deaf Culture. Some of them even stop signing and don't socialize with deaf people any more.

Some people get CIs and still acknowledge their deaf identity. Those are the ones I appreciate and respect. They may improve on their speech, grammar, or their social skills with hearing people... but they don't change their attitude towards deaf people.

Why is it necessary for those who chose to get a cochlear implant to use a specific mode of communication and to socialize with a certain group of persons for you to "appreciate and respect" them?

In my short 6 months of exposure to learning about such things as hearing loss, hearing aids, cochlear implants, deaf culture, ASL, cued speech, auditory oral and auditory verbal education (among other things), only one thing is entirely consistent.

The consistent theme I have seen so far is that many of those who describe themselves as supporters of the "deaf culture" not only demand accomodation from the hearing, but also wish to shove the hearing (CI or not) aside at the same time. While it is nice that the writer of the comment above does not look down upon someone solely because they have a CI, it is also evident that if that CI user does not acknowledge the "deaf culture" and its preferred mode of communication (signing), that person is loathed. Further, if the CI user does not choose to move in the "deaf culture" social circle, they are further looked down upon.

Why is it that the "deaf culture" is apparently so comfortable with holding this attitude?

I don't feel that I must "acknowledge" my white identity. I'm aware of people who wear white hoods and burn crosses that may think I must, but I don't respect thier closed minded views on life. I live my life on my terms, and if I'm not living "white enough" (whatever that would mean), I'd say that those making that judgment are the ones with the problem, not me.

I don't feel that I must "acknowledge" my identity as an American by eating hotdogs and drinking Bud Light, and I certainly don't think I should have to hang around with people just because they were born in the continental United States. If my fellow Americans out there feel that these transgressions are enough to disrespect me, again, I think it is them with the issue to work through, not me.

Why do "deaf culture" persons get to decide who is respected or appreciated based on what another deaf person "acknowledges" as far as who they are personally?

Why does a seemingly large portion of this culture demand equality and access with those that hear while intentionally shutting off and disparaging any deaf person who gets a cochlear implant and branches off from a linguistic and social perspecitve from the group of deaf, non-CI persons?

Not every person has the same view, and I dislike generalizing, but I have felt this theme since shortly before I discovered my son was deaf. I know not all have this perspective, but my experience is that a significant part of the group does. Frankly, I find it very frightening.

Some people get CIs and still acknowledge their deaf identity. Those are the ones I appreciate and respect. They may improve on their speech, grammar, or their social skills with hearing people... but they don't change their attitude towards deaf people.

Just for your information it depend on person hearing loss. some people are not fully deaf like myself I can hear some without hearing aid. I agreed with you they are still deaf but it really depend on person's hearing loss.

Lisa

Why is it necessary for those who chose to get a cochlear implant to use a specific mode of communication and to socialize with a certain group of persons for you to "appreciate and respect" them?

In my short 6 months of exposure to learning about such things as hearing loss, hearing aids, cochlear implants, deaf culture, ASL, cued speech, auditory oral and auditory verbal education (among other things), only one thing is entirely consistent.

The consistent theme I have seen so far is that many of those who describe themselves as supporters of the "deaf culture" not only demand accomodation from the hearing, but also wish to shove the hearing (CI or not) aside at the same time. While it is nice that the writer of the comment above does not look down upon someone solely because they have a CI, it is also evident that if that CI user does not acknowledge the "deaf culture" and its preferred mode of communication (signing), that person is loathed. Further, if the CI user does not choose to move in the "deaf culture" social circle, they are further looked down upon.

Why is it that the "deaf culture" is apparently so comfortable with holding this attitude?

I don't feel that I must "acknowledge" my white identity. I'm aware of people who wear white hoods and burn crosses that may think I must, but I don't respect thier closed minded views on life. I live my life on my terms, and if I'm not living "white enough" (whatever that would mean), I'd say that those making that judgment are the ones with the problem, not me.

I don't feel that I must "acknowledge" my identity as an American by eating hotdogs and drinking Bud Light, and I certainly don't think I should have to hang around with people just because they were born in the continental United States. If my fellow Americans out there feel that these transgressions are enough to disrespect me, again, I think it is them with the issue to work through, not me.

Why do "deaf culture" persons get to decide who is respected or appreciated based on what another deaf person "acknowledges" as far as who they are personally?

Why does a seemingly large portion of this culture demand equality and access with those that hear while intentionally shutting off and disparaging any deaf person who gets a cochlear implant and branches off from a linguistic and social perspecitve from the group of deaf, non-CI persons?

Not every person has the same view, and I dislike generalizing, but I have felt this theme since shortly before I discovered my son was deaf. I know not all have this perspective, but my experience is that a significant part of the group does. Frankly, I find it very frightening.

I dont know about the deaf community in general but for myself, I am concerned that the children may not recieve a full language during their first few years of life therefore delaying them in the ability to read and right if the oral approach only doesnt work. That's all I care about. As an adult, they can choose whether to call themselves hearing or deaf. The truth is, when they take the CIs off, they are deaf, right? They dont have to hang out with deaf people but they arent exactly hearing people? Still need some visual accodomations from time to time.

from where i stand it is SORT OF the same dilemma that ADD and asperger's people like myself are facing. people trying to "cure" us and put us in therapy and on meds to make us more like neurotypicals. we too have our own culture just like deaf culture. i dont know alot about deaf culture, but it seems to me that it is something to chearish and take care of.
i generally think ADDs and autistics who take meds are stupid for complying to society.

it seems to me that denying a child to be deaf is sort of like stealing something from it if it already had learned ASL, not unlike what happened all over the world when other minority groups were denied talking their indigneous languages and were enslaved by europeans.

thats my take on it anyway

Back