Help me to better understand your 'world'

Safarijane

Reaction score
Hello,

You tell me about yourself on your posts--what is good, what is not. I don't know much about the Deaf culture. I am a student in an accelerated program for special ed. Even tonight I read a chapter about the Deaf culture and was surprised to learn that you don't consider deafness a disability. I am so naive! Help me!

There will be a day when I am asked to educate a child with a hearing loss. What do I need to know? How am I to respect the child and the parents? What do you want me to know?

I can tell you this about myself. I'm really quite empathetic and am funny when I am relaxed. I do what I say I will do, I'm reliable like that. I have a son who has autism. He gets angry when he sees commercials about curing autism. He feels like they want to change who he is. I can understand that. But then he comes home from middle school, crying because he can't make friends, and hates his autism. I can understand that, too.

Please tell me how to love the Deaf culture. Please help me to know what I need to know. I am going to the source.

Thank you in advance,

Safarijane

Hello,

You tell me about yourself on your posts--what is good, what is not. I don't know much about the Deaf culture. I am a student in an accelerated program for special ed. Even tonight I read a chapter about the Deaf culture and was surprised to learn that you don't consider deafness a disability. I am so naive! Help me!

There will be a day when I am asked to educate a child with a hearing loss. What do I need to know? How am I to respect the child and the parents? What do you want me to know?

I can tell you this about myself. I'm really quite empathetic and am funny when I am relaxed. I do what I say I will do, I'm reliable like that. I have a son who has autism. He gets angry when he sees commercials about curing autism. He feels like they want to change who he is. I can understand that. But then he comes home from middle school, crying because he can't make friends, and hates his autism. I can understand that, too.

Please tell me how to love the Deaf culture. Please help me to know what I need to know. I am going to the source.

Thank you in advance,

Safarijane

Look in the categories relating to "Hearing Aids and Cochlear Implants" , "Deaf Education", and "Our World and Our Culture.." I am sure u will find tons of info there...I have so many posts stating my opinion in the first category...:giggle:

Hello,

Even tonight I read a chapter about the Deaf culture and was surprised to learn that you don't consider deafness a disability. I am so naive! Help me!

Hello!

Your not naive.

It don't make a sense to me that some does not consider it, but claiming on SSI disability benefits!!!!

Mod Note:

Posts were merged and new thread created, moved to appropriate forum-- ;)

~RR

Back