Help from other HOH people....

jm1972

Reaction score
Ugh.

I've been wearing hearing aids for 9 years now.

My mom has the hearing of a darned hawk, she can literally hear a pin drop.

A year ago, she had emergency surgery for a sudden medical condition. Since then, she has some memory problems. Including forgetting how to communicate with me!

So today she sends me another link for Dept of Community Health links to help "HOH/Deaf" find jobs.

I tried a bartending job last week (with my new training) and did fine, minus 1 customer who I had to explain "Hey, I'm hearing impaired, can I ask you to speak up a little" during casual conversation. After that, no problem. Music in the background and everything.

My mom is the only person who is not satisfied with my hearing aids.

When I visit...her b/f is HOH and does not wear hearing aids. He has the TV blasting. Or is yelling into the phone. She tries to talk to me from 2 rooms away, my back turned to her, and gets upset that I didn't hear her...

How I can gently remind her...mom, face me...and I can't hear from two rooms away over a blasting TV.....

welcome to AD, I've been wearing hearing aids since I was an infant (6 months old)
you can always remind your mom in a nice, polite way :)

Ugh.

A year ago, she had emergency surgery for a sudden medical condition. Since then, she has some memory problems. Including forgetting how to communicate with me!

So today she sends me another link for Dept of Community Health links to help "HOH/Deaf" find jobs.

I tried a bartending job last week (with my new training) and did fine, minus 1 customer who I had to explain "Hey, I'm hearing impaired, can I ask you to speak up a little" during casual conversation. After that, no problem. Music in the background and everything.

When I visit...her b/f is HOH and does not wear hearing aids. He has the TV blasting. Or is yelling into the phone. She tries to talk to me from 2 rooms away, my back turned to her, and gets upset that I didn't hear her...

How I can gently remind her...mom, face me...and I can't hear from two rooms away over a blasting TV.....

If your mother has trouble remembering you'll have to go to her when she start talking to you. It is very hard to remind a person when they're having trouble remembering. It take a lot of patience being with a love one that has memory problem. Could you ask the b/f to turn down the TV a litte when you're there? Does the TV has CC that could be turned on and maybe the TV could be turned down?

Seems you've got ur work cut out for you.....much patience is the key....

I would suggest to have ur mother flash the light switch off and on to get ur attention...but she probably would forget to do that...

wonder how ur neighbors are feeling with the TV blasting?....then again, some people just won't admit they are HOH....

I have experience dealing with people with dementia & other conditions....like the others say, you will need a lot of patience, as there is not a whole lot you can do.

A small glass of Bailey's Irish Creme on the rocks helps, too.

Ugh.

wear a deaf t-shirt

wear a deaf t-shirt

Well, I had thought about wearing one of those blinking red light Hats....some say "It's My Birthday!".... Change it to "I Can't Hear You"....(just kidding)...then again, that might work?

Back