Hello

Wislady

Reaction score
New to this site, Hello to all!

I have SSD due to Meniere's. I have middle tone hearing in my "good" ear. I just started learning ASL, and it really seems like an almost impossible feat to learn to become proficient.

Looking forward to learning from others here.

Hi Wislady,

I am 60 and HOH in the last 10+ years due to many possible causes, and maybe Meniere's also.

I don't know if I will ever get really proficient, especially fluently, but I am immersing myself into learning ASL because at least it is more fun and more hopeful to not quite understand signing, than feel beyond frustrated and hopeless with spoken English now.

I've been struggling to learn ASL for several years now. My older brain is not making it easy, yet I am finally making slow headway (other than not receiving fingerspelling which still turns into a blurr).

I have tried real ASL classes though I do better with Lifeprint.com and their ASL.tc courses, along with meeting my Deaf tutor once a week. There are also other great resources online.

Welcome to this great group.

Thanks!

podiecat,
I thought it was just me with the slow learning curve.

Bottesini

Will check out the links, thanks!

I have been studying and practicing daily for years, and continue to do so. At this point I just have to laugh at my beyond slow progress.

When I get really frustrated I remind myself that even if it is slower than slow, it is progress. I will never progress with voice communication, only decline.

I also know that studying and practicing ASL is good for my lousy memory. I love to play 'Words with Friends'. If I miss just two days of signing my brain is much slower and more limited.

I was lucky enough to meet a woman who has taught ASL for more than 20 years, also taught baby signing. She offered to do a weekly hour private class for me, so that is what I am doing. I had my second session today. I really have a hard time remembering, so hopefully it will get easier.

If you would like to practice through Skype with me, we can laugh at our lousy memory together...

I found that it was Lifeprint's ASL.tc that finally helped me remember vocabulary. It does cost around $50 for a year's membership, but it has been worth every penny. There are four ASL vocabulary courses, one fingerspelling course, and soon will be Bill's course on classifiers. Even after finishing the courses, I watch the videos and take the quizzes over and over again. They are basically the same as the free Lifeprint lessons, yet much easier to use, more detailed and fun.

Back