Hello to all!

Dollydaydream

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Michelle.
I am a college student majoring in writing. I live in Wisconsin and love it here!
I am hearing and trying to learn ASL.
But before I go any further, I have a confession to make: I have never met anyone who is deaf. :shock:
So I'm here! lol
There are no ASL classes at my college or even the other colleges in my area. (I checked because I thought I might audit one.) So I am slowly learning ASL online, mostly by watching Bill Vicars' videos on YouTube.
Recently, I discovered that I like to learn new languages and their cultures. In high school I learned Spanish, but this year I started learning Chinese, German, French, and ASL. And I quickly saw that ASL is so much more expressive and enjoyable than English. So I became interested in Deaf Culture too, and...long story short...I'm here.
I hope to learn more about Deaf Culture here, and hopefully make some friends too, so I can bond and practice my ASL with a real person. :P
I don't know what I want to do when I "grow up" (even though I'm almost 22), but I want it to have something to do with language, whether it is ASL, Chinese, English, etc. (Maybe all! I could be a universal interpreter! lol)
Thanks!

Welcome aboard and you will find ASL way easier than other languages.

Welcome and Hello!
You'll do great things my friend!
ASL is such a beautiful language and way to communicate with others :)

Welcome.

I am hoh and also am learning sign. Not sure what Mr. Vicars has on youtube but his site ASL University has something close to lesson plans. There is 30 of them. Good luck.

Back