Hello out there....

DianeR11

Reaction score
I am new here (obviously). I've been deaf since I was 11 and am 45 now. My family is hearing and I am beginning to experience a profound loneliness in my life. I have a job where my colleagues make fun of me behind my back. It's time for me to embrace my deafness and I am hoping to find others that know and can relate what I'm going through . I have never been involved with the deaf community, mostly because I don't know how to sign. I tried learning but my family wouldn't learn so if you don't use it you lose it. I have hearing aids and am wondering if I should upgrade. They are so expensive and I wonder if it will be that big of a difference from the senso aids I have. I have a 90% loss in my left ear & a 70% loss in my right. Thanks for the 'ear'. Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Diane, and welcome! I'm new here too. So far, I've found most folks to be very friendly. Give it time...you just posted your intro 30 minutes ago. I'm sure you'll have several welcomes shortly!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

Hi Diane welcome to AD. Give it some time and you will meet some amazing people here. I noticed today that I have been a memeber here for a full year. I received so much great information and support by some terrific people. Good Luck!!!!

Thank you for the warm welcome. I guess I was sensitive about the 1st response about the culturally hearing vs. being true Deaf. Apparently I need to educate myself on deaf culture and that is why I am here. Thank you thank you...I look forward to meeting great people who understand.

Apparently I need to educate myself on deaf culture and that is why I am here.

I was a little worried myself when I joined, as the name of the forum is "AllDeaf", and I am not deaf. But after looking thru the sub forums, I saw plenty of them deal with HOH issues as well. And the people have been very accepting. I joined so I have people to talk to that can relate to my feelings and experiences. I don't have any friends that are deaf or HOH. I will be getting my first set of HA's this Thursday :D

That's exciting...getting new HA. I hope it opens up a whole new world for you. Without my HA's I cannot hear anything and they help me a lot. Please keep in touch and let me know how it goes.

Thank you Diane. I am excitedly nervous already. Less than 48 hours, and I will get back part of my life that has been slowly fading away for many years. I can't wait! I'll keep you posted. I sent you a friend request.

welcome to AD, and if you're getting new hearing aids, be sure to lookout for Naida peeps since they're awesome :3

welcome to AD, and if you're getting new hearing aids, be sure to lookout for Naida peeps since they're awesome :3

I am actually getting Naida's. Not sure which model...can't remember. Getting an iCom or ComPilot also. This is all through the VA. Thursday can't get here fast enough! :)

I am actually getting Naida's. Not sure which model...can't remember. Getting an iCom or ComPilot also. This is all through the VA. Thursday can't get here fast enough! :)
:P
Yes they are! Naida peep here... (Or did you mean the hearing aids themselves??)

Wirelessly posted

Hi Diane, welcome to AllDeaf! Don't be shy, there are many members here who were in the same boat as you when we first arrived here. I was one. Read up on the threads here and you will catch up on all our life-stories and our 'journeys'. You will find them helpful to know you are not alone in your experiences. See you around!

I second everyone..we're not just folks who all went to deaf schools or programs...many of us grew up as the only dhh kid in our class, and didn't learn asl until we were adults.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I guess I was sensitive about the 1st response about the culturally hearing vs. being true Deaf. Apparently I need to educate myself on deaf culture and that is why I am here. Thank you thank you...I look forward to meeting great people who understand.

That wasn't directed towards you that's apart of bottesini's signature. That blurb appears on every post that she submits on AD, so don't get offended.

Back