Hello. I am hearing & studying ASL

shimo

Reaction score
Hi. Nice to meet you all!
I've been lurking about these forums for the past week, and I finally decided to sign up.

I am hearing. My parents are hearing too.
I am 27 and female.

Currently I do not know any deaf or Deaf people, but my husband is taking a class in ASL from a teacher (hard of hearing).
He is taking the class because I became very interested in ASL this past summer.
I like to pour over his textbook and DVDs and practice with him as much as he will allow me to until he gets overwhelmed and goes back to talking.
We've also been watching videos on the Bravo family.

I'm hoping that by being part of this forum that I could make a few friends to talk to in ASL, one day, when I have more confidence and knowledge. :Oops:
I can speak and read Korean and Japanese, but my hobbies aren't those: They are painting and watching Mythbusters and Parks&Rec, so I think I can understand why talking about YOU NAME WHAT and I HAVE SISTERS TWO with new ASL learners over and over can become boring.
so I will try my best to keep that to a minimum. :laugh2:

I'm just here to find cool people who happen to also speak ASL.

Also, between my husband and I, I think studying ASL has improved our relationship a bit because we have to make eye-to-eye contact in order to sign.

:) I hope I can reach a level of proficiency one day that will allow me to participate in an ASL conversation club one day, and to have full conversations with others even if I can't process their/my speech.
There's also a lot of fun looking videos on youtube in ASL.
I look forward to the day I can understand them. :hmm:

Last edited:
:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Can your husband come on the forum as he is the one who is hard of hearing? You and your husband can participate in discussion here. That will help him discuss about his problem and also be comfortable being in the Deaf forum. This is good that you are interest in your husband's frustration in learning to live with as a hard of hearing person. There should be a lot of Deaf and Hard of Hearing in New Jersey. We have some members who are from New Jersey like Jiro. He is hard of hearing himself and very smart. So please encourage your husband to come here to discuss with us also.

I hope you and your husband enjoy reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

Uh-oh, :Oops: I meant to write that his teacher is Hard of Hearing.

My husband is hearing, even if he chooses not to listen at times. :lol:

Back