Hello from the UK!

ap

Reaction score
Hello AllDeaf.

I signed up here a while back because I was looking for closure; I was going through a bit of a tough time. Anyway I never actually posted because the site was being a bit slow (probably for the best I think!) but I'm back now.

My name is Andrew and I've been profoundly deaf since I had Meningitis at the age of 2. I don't wear hearing aids because I've had a less-than-encouraging experience with them in the past and therefore I rely on the hearing I have and lipreading. I think I tend to 'play down' my deafness, it's a lot worse than most people think it is but I have coping strategies (don't we all) which help me survive day to day!

I live in Kent, which is in the South-East of the UK, between London, and France. This seems like a predominantly American website, but I've seen a few Brits about. I've been to the States 3 times, and I'm of the NY, Washington, LA and Vegas next Summer, which I absolutely cannot wait for. I love Mountain Dew, Pop Tarts and the guilty fast food!

At the moment I'm 19 and currently in my second year of training to be a primary (elementary for you Americans ;) ) teacher at University. I guess it is going okay so far, although it is very challenging. For some reason I can't 'settle' with a typical/easy path through life, I always have to do something difficult. Nevertheless, I absolutely love working with children and I'm trying my hardest to end up with a good grade. My motivation is all over the place though, I've had a few bad experiences and problems with discrimination but I'll get through them.

One of the saddest things about my deafness is that I've always wanted to be a pilot and serve in the RAF but this is just not possible; I can't hear radios and I wouldn't pass a medical. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but it really sucks to hear someone tell you that you can't do something because of circumstances beyond your control. Ah well.

In my free time I'm quite geeky. I play video games, spend a lot of time on online message-boards and places like reddit and also go out to the pub with my friends every now and again. I'm an introvert and quite shy...but I had a tough time in school so I've learnt to enjoy my own company. I have a love of the written word and theatre, especially of Shakespeare.

I've had a little look through the forums, and you all seem like lovely people. I figured that this would be a good place to find like-minded people and have an open discussion about deafness as well as everything else! You have no idea how long I've been wanting to have a good rant about subtitling, discrimination and ignorant people... :D

Anyway, see you around!

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Pleased to meet you here on AllDeaf (AD) :welcome:

I'm one of the Brits here on AD, living in the Big Smoke. I know Kent a little, sometimes taking my children to Whitstable for a day out. Had a few holidays in the past in Walmer near Deal.

Look forward to seeing you around here in the forums.

AJW:wave:

Hey and welcome. Hope you enjoy here!

I am not quite sure what you mean by this part about being profoundly deaf, don't wear hearing aids and rely on hearing you got left and lipreading. I can understand what you mean if you leave out hearing you got left part. I don't see how you hear without aids if your profoundly deaf?

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Hey and welcome. Hope you enjoy here!

I am not quite sure what you mean by this part about being profoundly deaf, don't wear hearing aids and rely on hearing you got left and lipreading. I can understand what you mean if you leave out hearing you got left part. I don't see how you hear without aids if your profoundly deaf?

Oh, sorry if it wasn't clear enough. I'm profoundly deaf in my left ear, and moderately deaf in my right ear. I don't use my left ear at all, but I can hear enough sound in my right. I use the sound + lipreading to make sense of what people say. Also, I can't 'locate' sound without turning 360 degrees and working out where the source is.

I find it really hard to judge/define my hearing loss though. I lost my hearing at such a young age that I have no recollection of what it was like before. I actually think my hearing is pretty good, but that's because I have nothing to compare it to. Sometimes my friends will hear stuff and I will have no idea that there is a sound coming from there at all.

I hope that clarifies it a bit. :)

Ah that makes much more sense! Thanks for reply. :)

I think it harder to tell hearing people or people clueless about deafness how deaf you are if both ears are very different level than having both ears on same level.

Hello AllDeaf.

Welcome. Our pleasure to have you here.

I live in Kent, which is in the South-East of the UK, between London, and France. This seems like a predominantly American website, but I've seen a few Brits about. I've been to the States 3 times, and I'm of the NY, Washington, LA and Vegas next Summer, which I absolutely cannot wait for. I love Mountain Dew, Pop Tarts and the guilty fast food!

I have lived in Bristol, but I am not English.

At the moment I'm 19 and currently in my second year of training to be a primary (elementary for you Americans ;) ) teacher at University. I guess it is going okay so far, although it is very challenging. For some reason I can't 'settle' with a typical/easy path through life, I always have to do something difficult. Nevertheless, I absolutely love working with children and I'm trying my hardest to end up with a good grade. My motivation is all over the place though, I've had a few bad experiences and problems with discrimination but I'll get through them.

In the future, I hope that you manage to find employment and enjoy your job. I was unemployed for several years after my first degree (economics) and had to go back to university and get another degree (statistics). It is tough nowadays.

One of the saddest things about my deafness is that I've always wanted to be a pilot and serve in the RAF but this is just not possible; I can't hear radios and I wouldn't pass a medical. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but it really sucks to hear someone tell you that you can't do something because of circumstances beyond your control. Ah well.

Beethoven became profoundly deaf late in life. He still managed to compose and conduct.

I'm an introvert and quite shy...but I had a tough time in school so I've learnt to enjoy my own company. I have a love of the written word and theatre, especially of Shakespeare.

I used to be profoundly shy. Now I am merely an introvert. I will never become an extrovert.

I've had a little look through the forums, and you all seem like lovely people. I figured that this would be a good place to find like-minded people and have an open discussion about deafness as well as everything else! You have no idea how long I've been wanting to have a good rant about subtitling, discrimination and ignorant people... :D

I am a newbie here and I love it. This forum is a gold mine of information.

Subtitles are never used in English speaking countries anyway. I am surprised that you mention it.

Anyway, see you around!

See you around too.

Back