Hello from Portland, Oregon, USA :)

SillySally

Reaction score
Hello to everyone. I am hearing, however my son is HoH. He has a bilateral moderate to severe loss of hearing. He uses aids. It is hereditary from his fathers side. Dad has a severe, almost total loss of hearing, but he is not near us to help teach us Sign. My son is 5. He does not NEED sign, but it is fun and DOES help relieve stress for both of us in certain situations when there is too much noise or he is too far away to hear me clearly but can see me sign.
I am looking for friends to chat with, text with, and maybe video chat with... I am VERY new with signing... I can spell sign, and i know 50 or more other signs, but.. its just a beginning ;)

Looking for LOCAL ppl to Portland Oregon, so that we can eventually meet in person :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Keep up with signing as he might able to see you sign better than trying to lipread or visually trying to understand without signs. It does not matter if he is moderately HOH. ASL is a lot more important to him as a primary language. What would happen if he start losing his hearing going into severe or profound hearing loss later on? There are lots of ADers including me if it start to lose hearing later in life. So keep on doing it. :)

Just have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Hello bebonang and thank you for the welcome :) Yes, i think Sign is important and he is really excited to learn. I also speak spanish, so he thinks he wants to try that too, but Sign is much more important for him ;)
I am excited to read more posts and respond to others when i can make time to come here. Work is killing me ;)
Yes, his dad did lose more hearing after being ill as a lil guy, but he learned sign early too. I think.
Again, thank you for making me feel welcome :)

I'm across the river in Vancouver.

If your son's hearing is like his dad's, it could progress to the point where ASL is more relevant to his needs.

Hello welcome to see you enjoy! Hope be enjoy!
nice to meet :)

I had a moderate to severe sloping to severe hearing loss before and now I have a severe loss. don't know what caused my loss but it's a mystery LOL! also welcome 2 all deaf

Last edited:
I'm moving to Portland next month. How is it out there? I dont know much about it.

My son is 5. He does not NEED sign, but it is fun and DOES help relieve stress for both of us in certain situations when there is too much noise or he is too far away to hear me clearly but can see me sign.
WOOHOO!!! ASL is an AWESOME second language for hoh kids!!!! The trouble is, that hearing aids and speech tend to be only good in perfect listening situtions. Unfortunatly the world is not a soundbooth. I have a simliar loss as your son. While I am really glad I can hear and speak, I still wish that someone had told my parents of the downsides of oral only, as well as the major downsides of solotairing......It really is important to be child centered and introduce kids to all the options and methodoligies out there. Kids don't know about schools/programs for the deaf, or that they can function both with and without hearing aids/CIs with ASL.
One thing you could do is enroll him in a local dhh program, so he can learn ASL and then he can teach you sign. I would assume that Deaf ed in Oregon is really good b/c the School for the Deaf is hoh friendly. I know that Deaf ed does not generally have an awesome reputation, BUT the early childhood/early elementary grades beat ANYTHING you can find in the maisntream. One MAJOR upside to enrolling your kid in a formal dhh program, would be that he would have teachers and even speech therapists who are familiar with how to work with dhh kids. Unfortunatly, even sped mainstream teachers can be very clueless about how to teach dhh or other low incidence sped kids.
My advice. Contact the School for the Deaf's outreach services and see if they might have any advice on good regional dhh programs: Oregon School for the Deaf
A really good organization is American Society for Deaf Children: American Society for Deaf Children
and Hands and Voices: Hands & Voices
They have an Oregon chapter. Hands&Voices of Oregon

Hello bebonang and thank you for the welcome :) Yes, i think Sign is important and he is really excited to learn. I also speak spanish, so he thinks he wants to try that too, but Sign is much more important for him ;)
I am excited to read more posts and respond to others when i can make time to come here. Work is killing me ;)
Yes, his dad did lose more hearing after being ill as a lil guy, but he learned sign early too. I think.
Again, thank you for making me feel welcome :)

You are welcome. :) :wave:

Glenn, yes, you are correct...it could progress like his dad's.... however, no one else in his family that was born HofH (sons fathers mom, brother, gramma and daughter) never got worse... but yes, we are preparing and signing is fun and useful regardless. ;) And yes, you are literally just across the river... ;)

Sarfarigirl2011... thank you for sharing a bit of your experiences and mysteries lol :)

KarissaMann, Phillips and Rockin Robin, HELLO and thank you for the replies :) I find many ppl here on AllDeaf, very friendly and welcoming :) I think i "LIKE" it here ;) lol

hellos245... thats great that you are moving here.. Where will you be coming from? And why are you choosing to move to Portland, OR? It is nice here. Lots of rain, but it just makes the few nice days MUCH MORE NICE lol I look forward to chatting with you before you move here :)

I would like to retire to Portland or somewhere in the Pacific northwest. I think the raining days are the perfect ones! :wave:

Hello and thank you for your information and comparison to your experiences :) My son has been in a DHH program since he was 4 months old... and so, he has been exposed for a long time. We had decided to take him away from concentrating so much on sign language in school and such, because his speech was coming along so well once we actually started having/making him wear his hearing aids. But now, I see the importance of learning sign as well. He just graduated from preschool of ONLY HH kids. It was a class where they did not sign though... across the hall was the class for Deaf only. uh oh, my computer is dying... but thank you :)

Hi.

hellos245... thats great that you are moving here.. Where will you be coming from? And why are you choosing to move to Portland, OR? It is nice here. Lots of rain, but it just makes the few nice days MUCH MORE NICE lol I look forward to chatting with you before you move here :)

:wave:We are moving from Madison, WI. My husband just graduated college with a conservation degree in biology and he thinks job opportunites will be better out there. Plus, Im going to attend school for ASL.
WI just isnt for us, neither is all the snow :)
We hope Portland is everything we expect and more!!

you're welcome LOL
I learned sign as I got my analog hearing aids when I was little (now my Siemens are the same age as my sister) *15 years old*

Back