Hello from Georgia

GeorgiaPoetry

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm obviously new to Alldeaf.com. I'm 38 years old and severely HOH. I was born this way and my hearing has been slowly getting worse. I currently have a hearing loss of 75 db. I go to my audiologist on the 22nd because we fear that I have lost even more hearing over the past year. I wear 2 in the ear hearing aids but they don't seem to be strong enough anymore so we are considering which ones to get or to even bother. I have 3 teen boys who are my reason for living. I have a 3 year old chihuahua who I have trained to help me "hear" around the house. I look forward to talking to each of you and learning things as I go.

Georgia

Welcome to AllDeaf.com, enjoy your stay.

Good to see another Georgian here on the board. :)

Welcome! What part of the state are you from? (I have family in Georgia)

:wave: A Georgia Peach!....My bro resides in Georgia (Savannah). Good to see ya here.

My folks are anywhere from Dahlonege (sp?) to Resaca, Dalton, Eton, Ellijay, Spring Place and Chatsworth. Not such a wide area hah?

Aniy way, welcome to All Deaf, you will like this place, everyone is friendly.

My folks are anywhere from Dahlonege (sp?) to Resaca, Dalton, Eton, Ellijay, Spring Place and Chatsworth. Not such a wide area hah?

Aniy way, welcome to All Deaf, you will like this place, everyone is friendly.

LOL......I know where all those places are. I'm about an hour south of Dalton. So far I've found a lot of interesting reads. I didn't even know about SSDI for the deaf. Amazing. I wish I lived closer to Cave Springs so I could take ASL classes. Thank you for the welcome.

Cool. I live in the next county just below Rome's SC community. I have only been in Georgia for about 17 years or so.

I know of an ASL class that may be still in session at the church in Cartersville (Hwy 20 area near I-75). Floyd College (I think it is called Georgia Highlands now?) may still have ASL courses. GSD in Cave Spring may have something like that.

The deaf community in Rome used to have their social/silent dinners at the Mt. Berry mall once a month. I don't know if they still have it now. I am more familiar with the deaf community in metro Atlanta.

Either GSD or GACHI branch office in Cedartown would probably be your best bet to contact for such info in the area.

Cool. I live in the next county just below Rome's SC community. I have only been in Georgia for about 17 years or so.

I know of an ASL class that may be still in session at the church in Cartersville (Hwy 20 area near I-75). Floyd College (I think it is called Georgia Highlands now?) may still have ASL courses. GSD in Cave Spring may have something like that.

The deaf community in Rome used to have their social/silent dinners at the Mt. Berry mall once a month. I don't know if they still have it now. I am more familiar with the deaf community in metro Atlanta.

Either GSD or GACHI branch office in Cedartown would probably be your best bet to contact for such info in the area.

What church is having a sign language class? I'd love to attend it. Last I checked Georgia Highlands wasn't doing classes anymore.

Heyya!

Welcome to AllDeaf. Some debates can get heated, but don't let that scare you away. :) But yes, ASL is the great equalizer. :D

Heyya!

Welcome to AllDeaf. Some debates can get heated, but don't let that scare you away. :) But yes, ASL is the great equalizer. :D

Me get scared? I love to debate. How else do you learn how stupid everyone else is??? LOL joke

I have so much to learn.

What church is having a sign language class? I'd love to attend it. Last I checked Georgia Highlands wasn't doing classes anymore.
At Rowland Springs Baptist Church in Cartersville (eastside, about 2 miles from the Cracker's Barrel restaurant). They just started the class for beginners on the 8th and will continue until the 3rd of November. They probably are accepting more people for the class, I would suggest that you to contact the church at 770-382-4778. The deaf lady from Acworth (or Dallas) that does the classes around northern Atlanta suburbs/northern Georgia is a very good ASL instructor. The church also has services for the deaf.

Thank you to all who have welcomed me. I live up around the Rome area. Just a small town girl.

I aware there is deaf social in Rome. Believe it or not, there is quiet good time to learn sign language. Have you learn ASL yet?

Back