Hello from Delaware

Long story, but to summarize, options for deaf children back in the '70's was very limited, and my parents were told that I belong in an institution since I will not be able to "lead a productive life".....which they thought was bullshit...so they put me in special ed with other disabled students in a special school. Once they figured that I was not as stupid as I should be, and I was able to read lips well, they put me in regular public schools, had no contact with any other deaf people until college.

People like me are caught in the middle...we don't exactly fit in the deaf community, but also feel unaccepted in the hearing community.

:jaw: Oh my! they really thought because you couldnt hear that you were stupid? Have you found people like you that you feel connected with? I cant really say i know how you feel because im not deaf but from what i have had experience with when it comes to the deaf community they are very close and open to everyone so im sure it would be easier now a days to feel comfortable around people!:D

Wirelessly posted

yeah I was born hard of hearing and it was progressive loss, I became completely deaf (off the chart) 5 years ago and I use ASL since age 3

:jaw: Oh my! they really thought because you couldnt hear that you were stupid? Have you found people like you that you feel connected with? I cant really say i know how you feel because im not deaf but from what i have had experience with when it comes to the deaf community they are very close and open to everyone so im sure it would be easier now a days to feel comfortable around people!:D

I've found plenty of people at NTID that had similar backgrounds, and am glad I was not the only one.

Unfortunately, even today, the hearing world still considers the deaf to be "broken" and unable to function.

Really, the worst thing about being deaf (for me) is dealing with employers that associate 'deaf' with 'unable to work'. That, and employers thinking that I should be paid less than my co-workers, even though I get more work done.

Read some of these stories and you will get an idea of what we all have to put up with: http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/91837-annoying-ignorant-hearing-people-stories.html

Wirelessly posted

yeah I was born hard of hearing and it was progressive loss, I became completely deaf (off the chart) 5 years ago and I use ASL since age 3

Oh wow, how old are you now? Since you were born hoh did you learn to talk? did you use hearing aids or any other help? Where in wilmington do u live?

I've found plenty of people at NTID that had similar backgrounds, and am glad I was not the only one.

Unfortunately, even today, the hearing world still considers the deaf to be "broken" and unable to function.

Really, the worst thing about being deaf (for me) is dealing with employers that associate 'deaf' with 'unable to work'. That, and employers thinking that I should be paid less than my co-workers, even though I get more work done.

Read some of these stories and you will get an idea of what we all have to put up with: http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/91837-annoying-ignorant-hearing-people-stories.html

It really is a shame that in the world we live in with all the acceptance and things we tolerate, that simply not being able to hear is right up there with being a leper! that makes me sick! but im glad you have meet people that understand what you are going through :)

Wirelessly posted

Moose_luver said:
Wirelessly posted

Oh wow, how old are you now? Since you were born hoh did you learn to talk? did you use hearing aids or any other help? Where in wilmington do u live?

I did have speech therapy but my parents stopped it at age 8 because they want me to use sign full time. I still can talk but I choose to be mute cuz I'm insecure with my speech lol. well price corner area

Wirelessly posted

I did have speech therapy but my parents stopped it at age 8 because they want me to use sign full time. I still can talk but I choose to be mute cuz I'm insecure with my speech lol. well price corner area

PM me :) it would be great to get to know you without everyone else knowing you too lol

Back