Hello from Delaware

Moose_luver

Reaction score
Hi Everyone :wave:
I would love to meet some deaf friends that could help me better my ASL skills! i took a class in collage but have not been able to further my education! I want to be able to fluently speak in sign and be confident about it but i dont want to learn from a hearing person because it makes it to tempting to just talk!
Thank you in advance to anyone and everyone that responds! :D
~~Kimm

Last edited:
Hi Everyone :wave:
I would love to meet some deaf friends that could help me better my ASL skills! i took a class in collage but have not been able to further my education! I want to be able to fluently speak in sign and be confident about it but i dont want to learn from a hearing person because it makes it to tempting to just talk!
Thank you in advance to anyone and everyone that responds! :D
~~Kimm

Are you in New Castle county? DSD (Delaware School for the Deaf) offers evening classes (Thurs). The current session is just about over and the next one, as far as I know, won't be till Sept. And it is VOICE OFF :)

Delaware Statewide Programs: DELAWARE SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF

Hello from DE too!!

Welcome. I am in the Newark area. Yeah, DSD is a good place to start.

I'm both (deaf/HoH). I have severe-to-profound loss in my left ear and moderate-to-severe in my right ear. I wear HAs which help a lot, so when I'm wearing them, I'm HoH. When not wearing them, pretty much deaf (still can hear, but not well).

I'm also in the Newark area.

Speech. I'm learning ASL (with my 18 year old daughter) in case my hearing gets to the point where HAs won't help. And for those times my HAs may not be working.

Thats cool! Is your daughter excited about learning? or is it just something she knows she has to do to be able to talk to you?

She had already learned a few signs, so she was interested. I gave her the option, didn't make her go. She, being a lot younger than me, is picking it up quickly. A friend of hers is also taking the class with us. They both are going into careers where having ASL may be beneficial (medical/sociology).

She had already learned a few signs, so she was interested. I gave her the option, didn't make her go. She, being a lot younger than me, is picking it up quickly. A friend of hers is also taking the class with us. They both are going into careers where having ASL may be beneficial (medical/sociology).

Well with you both learning it im sure it will make it easier once you start using it! its tricky at first but im sure youll get it :)

Hello Guys....I am jon from California, USA. I am new here and i want to make some new friends. keep it up.

Thanks....!

Have you been deaf since birth?
If so did you learn to speak after you got the CI?

No, born hearing, lost my hearing at 4 years old. Already developed speech before it happened. Speech got worse afterwards, so my parents wanted to make me as 'hearing' as possible, so I had speech therapy for years and grew up in the hearing world, being the only deaf kid in school.

Went to NTID and learned SEE, then ASL. It was the first time I was exposed to the deaf culture..at 18 years old.

No, born hearing, lost my hearing at 4 years old. Already developed speech before it happened. Speech got worse afterwards, so my parents wanted to make me as 'hearing' as possible, so I had speech therapy for years and grew up in the hearing world, being the only deaf kid in school.

Went to NTID and learned SEE, then ASL. It was the first time I was exposed to the deaf culture..at 18 years old.

oh wow! why did it take so long for you to be exposed to the deaf community?

oh wow! why did it take so long for you to be exposed to the deaf community?

Long story, but to summarize, options for deaf children back in the '70's was very limited, and my parents were told that I belong in an institution since I will not be able to "lead a productive life".....which they thought was bullshit...so they put me in special ed with other disabled students in a special school. Once they figured that I was not as stupid as I should be, and I was able to read lips well, they put me in regular public schools, had no contact with any other deaf people until college.

People like me are caught in the middle...we don't exactly fit in the deaf community, but also feel unaccepted in the hearing community.

Back