Hello from Delaware! QUESTION ABT VIDEO PHONE!

AshlyMonica11784

Reaction score
Hello! I am a CODA (Child of Deaf Adult), and very fluent in ASL. A few years ago, I used to be able to communicate with my father from MY webcam (on computer), to HIS VP (on TV) with HIS IP address. The site I used to use, a few years back is no longer valid? Viable Vision??? I've read that they've fallen apart, but my question is.... Can I do it again, with another site/company??

I have a tablet with a webcam on it and would LOVE to chat with my father, who lives almost 2 hours away from me. I'm having trouble finding a way to do that again. Can someone help???

Thanks & Happy New Year to all : )
Ashley

Sure you can, but before asking us please use the powerful tool called "Search" and you will find answer to this one of top 25 frequent asked questions. Best of all, it is free.

I am sorry to be blunt because your not the first person to join and ask one of most frequent questions without even look around first. It applies to everyone of us.

Welcome and enjoy your stay.

I have been "searching". That's why I said, "I'm having a hard time finding another way to do this". I've been searching for 2 days on google, and have only found old posts & blogs about Viable Vision.

But can I use those (Skype, Facetime, Etc.) to call his VP?? He no longer has a computer, it crashed. But he still has his VP thru Sorenson. So can I use Facetime or Skype to call from my computer, to HIS Sorenson VP????

But can I use those (Skype, Facetime, Etc.) to call his VP?? He no longer has a computer, it crashed. But he still has his VP thru Sorenson. So can I use Facetime or Skype to call from my computer, to HIS Sorenson VP????

Why don't you buy him a tablet or laptop of his own so he can be connected and communicate more easily?

Calling using IP address may work, or may not work.

If a VRS videophone uses different port other than 1720 then won't work. I know there is way but too complicate how to coding the IP address correctly and they do change over time.

Because it's not financially possible for me to purchase him a new tablet or laptop, not that it's any of your business. I only came on here to ASK if there was a way to communicate the way we USED to, since Viable Vision isn't available anymore.

If it were as easy as buying a new tablet and/or laptop for my father, trust me, I would've already done so. I didn't think I'd get a rude response for such a simple question, wow!

Have a Happy New Year to your & your family.

first and foremost -- I want to say it can be done but it also cannot be done.
I do not condone using any of the downloadable VRS software for hearing people use just for calling thier deaf/hoh loved ones. I would LOVE to be able to distribute software, but then that is a whole another mess to discuss. To others that say try downloading it and try , it "can" work but if the VRS company finds out you are hearing using the software they will ask you to remove it and disable your account. FCC is very clear on this. They are only allowing free distribution to deaf/hoh under the stipulation that they would use it to call hearing people to "bridge the communication" gap as buying the software and service on top of high speed internet would be clearly a heavy financial burden.

Now having said this -- It really, really sucks not being able to have a way to call VRS software/hardware directly with ANYTHING else as a hearing person. There is nothing easily to purchase, or download that will work with VRS that is not tied to the VRS industry. diehardbiker is somewhat correct. the 1720 port is only hardcoded to the ring port to most popular vrs hardware and you know whom I am talking about. They use the noninteroperable video compression which makes things harder.

Second - you can do this on your own if you are a little computer savvy and you are running vista or older and you have a copy of netmeeting. you need to download netmeeting and install it on your pc as a XP program install properties. netmeeting is already including in XP but not supported anymore.

Now - Again -- what diehardbiker was trying to say, but I will say it here so the tags are there for a new search for people like you - You can only "get" video relay service by signing up with the current VRS service providers as long you are deaf/hoh and use asl. You just cannot use off the shelf products like skype, tango, aim, oovoo, camfrog, and many others with the deaf/hoh software/hardware combination. If anyone recalls - CSD put it out there in a query to the FCC to see if it "possible" to standardize the video industry as everyone wants to be able to communicate in any way and any form. Why cant we deaf be able to pick a certain hardware and software from our local store and EXPECT it to work with any VRS of our choice and STILL retain the current features we are enjoying? Imagine the possibilities of closing the communication gap?

Yeah, this is the part reason why we need to have IANA, which is Internet committee agency that is based on International level recognize video and register multiple ports reserved for videophone. This will solve the incoming and outgoing call interoperability.

first and foremost -- I want to say it can be done but it also cannot be done.
I do not condone using any of the downloadable VRS software for hearing people use just for calling thier deaf/hoh loved ones. I would LOVE to be able to distribute software, but then that is a whole another mess to discuss. To others that say try downloading it and try , it "can" work but if the VRS company finds out you are hearing using the software they will ask you to remove it and disable your account. FCC is very clear on this. They are only allowing free distribution to deaf/hoh under the stipulation that they would use it to call hearing people to "bridge the communication" gap as buying the software and service on top of high speed internet would be clearly a heavy financial burden.

Now having said this -- It really, really sucks not being able to have a way to call VRS software/hardware directly with ANYTHING else as a hearing person. There is nothing easily to purchase, or download that will work with VRS that is not tied to the VRS industry. diehardbiker is somewhat correct. the 1720 port is only hardcoded to the ring port to most popular vrs hardware and you know whom I am talking about. They use the noninteroperable video compression which makes things harder.

Second - you can do this on your own if you are a little computer savvy and you are running vista or older and you have a copy of netmeeting. you need to download netmeeting and install it on your pc as a XP program install properties. netmeeting is already including in XP but not supported anymore.

Now - Again -- what diehardbiker was trying to say, but I will say it here so the tags are there for a new search for people like you - You can only "get" video relay service by signing up with the current VRS service providers as long you are deaf/hoh and use asl. You just cannot use off the shelf products like skype, tango, aim, oovoo, camfrog, and many others with the deaf/hoh software/hardware combination. If anyone recalls - CSD put it out there in a query to the FCC to see if it "possible" to standardize the video industry as everyone wants to be able to communicate in any way and any form. Why cant we deaf be able to pick a certain hardware and software from our local store and EXPECT it to work with any VRS of our choice and STILL retain the current features we are enjoying? Imagine the possibilities of closing the communication gap?

Please do not encourage or giving advices on these kinds of abuses. FCC prohibits from hearing people, even if they know sign language, getting VRS equipment (This includes software, APP, hardware) with 10 digit number. If we encourage or giving advices like this, FCC may tighten the regulation even more and could do harm on us than good. FCC have been very specific with this policy.

try to check with purple3. type google. I am not familiar with all of those rules for hearing people but try!

Interpreter services | Deaf and hard of hearing services | Video interpreter - Purple Communications

Because it's not financially possible for me to purchase him a new tablet or laptop, not that it's any of your business. I only came on here to ASK if there was a way to communicate the way we USED to, since Viable Vision isn't available anymore.

If it were as easy as buying a new tablet and/or laptop for my father, trust me, I would've already done so. I didn't think I'd get a rude response for such a simple question, wow!

Have a Happy New Year to your & your family.

Rude?? When I really wondered why you want to steal a service meant for the deaf?

I thought it was a polite suggestion I made. :lol:

Back