Hello from Central Illinois

Kari24

Reaction score
Hi,
My name is Kari. I am 24 years old and living in Illinois. I am hard of hearing, I have 60 percent hearing loss and wear hearing aids on both ears. My parents are both completely deaf. When I was a baby they thought I was hearing since I would respond when they make a sound but at 3 years old, they sent me to daycare so I can learn to talk since they cannot teach me. The teachers noticed that I did not hear well as others and had me take a hearing test and that is how they found out I have a hearing loss.

My hearing loss did not affect me when I was younger, people thought I was cool because I wore rainbow colored molds :p

Anyways, as I got older I noticed it started to bother me more. I get upset when people do not have patience with me when I can't hear or understand them.

I want to meet other hard of hearing people here and relate to their problems and their feelings. And maybe help me ignore and adjust to what others think of me. So I would love to talk to anyone! Feel free to send me a message and/or ask questions!!! I don't have many hoh/deaf friends.

-Kari

awww welcome to Alldeaf my friend! I'm pretty much behind your loss since I might be around 75% now lol :)

Hi,
My name is Kari. I am 24 years old and living in Illinois. I am hard of hearing, I have 60 percent hearing loss and wear hearing aids on both ears. My parents are both completely deaf. When I was a baby they thought I was hearing since I would respond when they make a sound but at 3 years old, they sent me to daycare so I can learn to talk since they cannot teach me. The teachers noticed that I did not hear well as others and had me take a hearing test and that is how they found out I have a hearing loss.

My hearing loss did not affect me when I was younger, people thought I was cool because I wore rainbow colored molds :p

Anyways, as I got older I noticed it started to bother me more. I get upset when people do not have patience with me when I can't hear or understand them.

I want to meet other hard of hearing people here and relate to their problems and their feelings. And maybe help me ignore and adjust to what others think of me. So I would love to talk to anyone! Feel free to send me a message and/or ask questions!!! I don't have many hoh/deaf friends.

-Kari

Hey Kari. My name is Kari I'm from Illinois to.
I don't have people that know how I feel.
I want to meet more people like me.
I was born this way to.

I don't have many hoh/deaf friends
Um why didn't your parents introduce you to the local Dhh community? Most of the time when a family is Deaf, even if the kid is functionally HOH, they attend Deaf School and are very involved with the Deaf community.

From southern IL myself, nice to meet you! I am not Deaf, but have an 18 month old daughter who is profoundly deaf and I find it is nice to chat with the people here as it helps me to understand how my daughter may feel as she gets older, things I could do for her, see different opinions on communication, and some of the lovely folks here have really opened my eyes to things that I have never noticed nor understood before.

Wish you all of the luck, I am sorry you are having a difficult time right now <3

I, too, am from IL. Lived here all my life, and grew up in an all hearing world, so I know exactly how you feel about not having patience with those who can't understand Deaf people, which is why I use visual cues and physical stuff to communicate. Makes things go a lot easier.

I was born hearing, but lost it at 15 months. Since the age of 21, my hearing has been in steady decline, and I've had to rely more on visualzation, which allows me to better survive.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I am puzzle that you have not met any Deaf people in the Deaf community or at Deaf event where you can chat with them in ASL. If your parents are d/Deaf, are they oral deaf or ASL user? If they are ASL user, then they should have introduce you into the Deaf community. I hope you enjoy reading and posting the threads here. See you around here. :wave: :(

Back