Hello Everyone-

JenMarie

Reaction score
:wave: My name is JenMarie, I'm from Illinois (Chicago suburb) and was born with damaged nerves in my ear. As time went on the nerves became more damaged (from noise mostly). I usually was able to fake most of my hearing tests (raising my hand when I saw the person push the button eventhough I didn't hear the sound) as a kid. My first hearing aids were at 16, but I was so embarrassed. I am now 32 and don't care who sees them, but I feel so isolated because I miss so much conversation.

Lately people are sick of having to watch movies with CC but they don't want them too loud either. I am teaching myself ASL and LOVE it, but need to find other deaf and HOH (is that the right sign for Hard of hearing?) people to really understand how it is used. Well, that's me.
I am just looking for some friends to talk about things that no one else around here really gets.

Thank you to both of you for such a fast welcome. AD (alldeaf) right? lol just checking. Is there a page that shows all the abbrv?

I think there is a thread somewhere about abbreviations lol and welcome to AD

you say you're missing a lot of words. Do you have BTEs or ITEs? If you have ITEs,get BTEs ASAP.....they are so much more powerful! Do you have a college degree? Maybe you could go to Gally or NTID or a local school that has a strong dhh population!

Being hearing is overrated anyways. But welcome, even tho I'm a newbie one day old on here myself.

hi jenmarie, welcome.... i as well teaching myself ASL. the difficult part is finding someone to practice with.... i also had the same experience as you, at age 8 i was giving my first set of hearing aid but i was embarrassed to wear them.... now i am 31 and started wearing them again for about 3 years now. nice meeting you =) see you around

I am looking at your profile picture (I am on a tiny screen notebook)... but but but do you .... have Zebra print Hearing Aids????? IF so... that is really cool!

you say you're missing a lot of words. Do you have BTEs or ITEs? If you have ITEs,get BTEs ASAP.....they are so much more powerful! Do you have a college degree? Maybe you could go to Gally or NTID or a local school that has a strong dhh population!
I have bte, but I don't know the difference, I just know that is what my audiologist said. lol I go to school full time, what is a dhh program? I am not sure how to directly reply to anyone, but I am sure I will learn.

Hello to dereksbicyles in Evanston. I have a couple of fujis but seems I can't sell, lol I think if winter stays like this here (is this even winter?) people will start looking for bikes again soon.

I am looking at your profile picture (I am on a tiny screen notebook)... but but but do you .... have Zebra print Hearing Aids????? IF so... that is really cool!

yes, AlicaM's is zebra print since she must be on the wild side!

I have bte, but I don't know the difference, I just know that is what my audiologist said. lol I go to school full time, what is a dhh program? I am not sure how to directly reply to anyone, but I am sure I will learn.

A dhh program is a college/school that has a strong dhh population. Its SO much better then going to a regular college with minimal accomondations......you COULD transfer to Gally or NTID....the experiance is amazing, you will learn ASL by full immersian and get the right accomondations, so you can REALLY thrive!

Hello to dereksbicyles in Evanston. I have a couple of fujis but seems I can't sell, lol I think if winter stays like this here (is this even winter?) people will start looking for bikes again soon.

Hope your Fujis will be able to sell soon or later. The best luck.

Back