Hello everyone, I'm Dawne

You know....aren't there ASL nursing homes? I'm pretty sure there's one in Ohio or Indiana ...anyone? Maybe a good idea might be to locate a deaf nursing home, and nudge the resident's families towards them. I'm sure they'd be a lot happier.

There is a ASL nursing home in Arizona and it is a great place for deaf people to communicate with each other. I forget where in Arizona. :dunno:

You know I noticed that. Even though Nathen (He's my friendly one. So sweet!) stares into space a lot, when I DO get his attention his facial cues help me a lot.

Awesome! Seem like maybe you transition more to language instead of focus on sign only. This will be helpful for you.

Sorry I have been gone a while. I have been depressed. I lost my job because I did suggest to the family about finding a better place more suited to the guy's needs. The boss found out and I got the axe. I really loved what I did, too. But hopefully I will have a new job soon. interview tomorrow and my fingers are crossed. On the upside, I did what I think was right and yes. I would do it again. Those boys need better care. Oh well. I'm still practicing and I'm still awful, but my three year old has a blast counting to twenty with me. He remembers better than I do. I had to brush up again and he's going to town. even though he repeats fourteen sixteen and twenty a lot. It's adorable.

Do you know if the family followed up? That sucks that you lost your job....and what a dumb reason to lose your job for! Heck, those kids wouldn't have been properly placed if they'd been assigned to a mental handicap group home. But let me guess it's all about money right?

Can't follow up. I talked to the cousin when she came to visit. I also am not allowed to call there and ask. Confidentiality and resident privacy rules. But I think you are right. It's probably about money. And honestly the place is crappy. I only loved it because I got to help people.

Back