Hello everyone, I'm Dawne

Dawne

Reaction score
Hi, I am brand new here and am looking to educate myself as much as possible. I work as a CNA and have been interested in ASL for a while but never really did anything about it. Turns out, I should have. I work in an assisted care facility and we have two new residents. Both of whom are deaf. Nobody I work with can sign, nor do they show interest in learning. Darn it I want to be able to talk to these guys! I see no reason not to learn and every reason I should. any advice, tips links or anything I can use would be very appreciated. Since I live in a village, I have not found any groups nearby that I can go to to get a real feel for it. So here I am. I look forward to learning from all of you!
Thanks in advance,
Dawne

Thanks very much. I'm very excited to have a way to meet and talk to deaf people. It's not the same just watching videos or reading about it. You can't get the same insight from those things. I much prefer people. Not to mention my etiquette might not be so good. I have no idea what's offensive, well, other than outright being a jerk, which of course I have NO intention of doing... I probably seem kind of dumb for saying that.. But at least I'm honest.

Afterthought

I just thought of this.. I am also on skype my handle is Moon Mournefire. If anyone is interested/willing to contact me there I'd be thrilled. I think perhaps video chatting with someone who can sign might help me learn. I think ASL is beautiful, like dancing with your hands while communicating. I want so badly to learn. Honestly I wish very much to learn ASL and if anyone does contact me, please be willing to be patient with me. I am about as new to this as it gets. Thanks.

You know....aren't there ASL nursing homes? I'm pretty sure there's one in Ohio or Indiana ...anyone? Maybe a good idea might be to locate a deaf nursing home, and nudge the resident's families towards them. I'm sure they'd be a lot happier.

While you have a valid point, these are also young guys. There is nothing physically wrong with them at all. Sadly, their mother kept them very isolated and she recently passed away. The only reason they'll be with us is because their family does not really know how to help/handle them. They're twins in their twenties and from what I've been told so far is they love video games. While I am unable to 'nudge' the families to finding a place better suited for them, I do have the power to educate myself to try my very best to accommodate them better to provide the best care I can. You seem to have a real concern for their happiness, and that really makes me smile, but as sound as your suggestion is, it is not my place to say anything to management about it. We are a very small facility (only 22 beds) and privately run. It is not uncommon for employees to be fired over things that ordinarily would go overlooked or be welcome feed back as the people who run it are particular to put it nicely. I honestly wish I *could* do more.

WHAT?!?!? They're YOUNG guys? I'm surprised they're not in a group home or something.

Yeah, younger than I am. It's messed up. Even their own family says they're smarter than hell so I don't understand it myself. Other than having a tendency to ignore everyone but each other, there is NOTHING wrong with them. I really don't think it's fair to them at all.

Yeah, younger than I am. It's messed up. Even their own family says they're smarter than hell so I don't understand it myself. Other than having a tendency to ignore everyone but each other, there is NOTHING wrong with them. I really don't think it's fair to them at all.

Can you talk to the family? Like off the cuff or anything? I wonder if there might be a group home or something like that? God, they should be in assitive living for young people or something at least.

Can you talk to the family? Like off the cuff or anything? I wonder if there might be a group home or something like that? God, they should be in assitive living for young people or something at least.

I'm not allowed to do that, I would get fired. And as much I have an opinion about this, I need my job. I also have to consider my own family and without this job We would not be able to pay rent or buy food. :( I'm pretty upset by this. It's so unfair to these guys

I'm not allowed to do that, I would get fired. And as much I have an opinion about this, I need my job. I also have to consider my own family and without this job We would not be able to pay rent or buy food. :( I'm pretty upset by this. It's so unfair to these guys

No, but off the cuff? Like an annoymous e-mail or letter or something? Even if you can't do something like that, maybe research Deaf resources in your area for them? Sometimes there are Deaf social services/clubs in the area.

I don't have access to any of their personal information to even attempt it. The office stays locked, I have no key, and were I to ask the supervisor they would know I was up to something. It's an all around conundrum.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Wow, you are saying that the deceased mother of twin young boys were not allow for her boys to be free to do what they can handle and make decisions like grown up men. So is that how hearing parents are trying to keep us in the dark ages never venting out in the real world. That is terrible. Hearing parents have no ideas that we act and behave normally like them except to hear. No wonder that is why I tried to vent and fight for my rights as a deaf person and be free from their clasp. :nono: :(

I Hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

I just thought of this.. I am also on skype my handle is Moon Mournefire. If anyone is interested/willing to contact me there I'd be thrilled. I think perhaps video chatting with someone who can sign might help me learn. I think ASL is beautiful, like dancing with your hands while communicating. I want so badly to learn. Honestly I wish very much to learn ASL and if anyone does contact me, please be willing to be patient with me. I am about as new to this as it gets. Thanks.

Yes, always say, "Like a dance of the hands."

I suggest, along with read here, try Lifeprint. He have online free lessons where you can learn simple, how say, day to day conversation ASL.

• ASL • American Sign Language

Teacher also Deaf so he is proper in sign that some other sites.

Welcome. :wave:

Yes, always say, "Like a dance of the hands."

I suggest, along with read here, try Lifeprint. He have online free lessons where you can learn simple, how say, day to day conversation ASL.

• ASL • American Sign Language

Teacher also Deaf so he is proper in sign that some other sites.

Welcome. :wave:

Thank you so much for the tip! I finally got one of my guys to start signing to me. I'm not very good but he's fairly expressive and that helps. A LOT. It also helps me to learn. Come to find out they DO seem to be just a little on the autistic side, but both are still VERY smart. Maybe a little temperamental, but given the situation, I would be, too.

Thank you so much for the tip! I finally got one of my guys to start signing to me. I'm not very good but he's fairly expressive and that helps. A LOT. It also helps me to learn. Come to find out they DO seem to be just a little on the autistic side, but both are still VERY smart. Maybe a little temperamental, but given the situation, I would be, too.

Facial expression are *key* to the communication. You may find that someday you will not even look at hands to interpret what they say. ;)

You know I noticed that. Even though Nathen (He's my friendly one. So sweet!) stares into space a lot, when I DO get his attention his facial cues help me a lot.

Back