Hello Everyone - From Atlanta (Lawrenceville) GA

gifted_hands

Reaction score
Hi. I am Donald. Raised in St. Louis, Missouri but now live in Atlanta, Georgia. Or more specifically, Lawrenceville. I am hard of hearing and need both hearing aids and to see lips to get by. I am currently learning ASL on various internet websites. I'd like to meet Deaf and Hard of Hearing people in my community. Reach out to me if you can.

Thanks,
Donald

Hello, I am from the Atlanta area as well and have just joined this forum. I'm in the Tucker area of Atlanta and have lived here for about ten years.

I use 2 BTEs and rely on lip reading as well to get by - gets more difficult as I get older. I've yet to learn ASL but I plan on doing so in the future. Would like to meet with other local HoH / deaf people as well.

Hello, I am from the Atlanta area as well and have just joined this forum. I'm in the Tucker area of Atlanta and have lived here for about ten years.

I use 2 BTEs and rely on lip reading as well to get by - gets more difficult as I get older. I've yet to learn ASL but I plan on doing so in the future. Would like to meet with other local HoH / deaf people as well.

You are suppose to make a new thread for yourself instead of OP (gifted_hands). You are invading his own thread. If you don't know where to put your introduction on your own thread.

Then you need to click on the upper left which it said "Post Reply". Then you can make a new thread for introducing yourself.

Looking forward to your new thread. :)

Welcome to AD. I'm from Atlanta as well but live in Indianapolis temporarily. I miss it there so much. I currently have one BTE but need my left one soon. I am learning asl too and I am HoH moderate to sever in my left profound in my right. So you use snapchat, glide or skype? It's a easy way to practice long distance.

Welcome to AD. I'm from Atlanta as well but live in Indianapolis temporarily. I miss it there so much. I currently have one BTE but need my left one soon. I am learning asl too and I am HoH moderate to sever in my left profound in my right. So you use snapchat, glide or skype? It's a easy way to practice long distance.

Hi aweet. Well....uhh... I use email.... (smile). On a serious note, I am soooo far behind on social technologies. While I have heard of skype, I have not heard of snapchat or glide. Give me a few days to set-up accounts and get familiar with these services/apps/technologies. I would love to practice ASL with you.... I think it is a great idea.

Hi aweet. Well....uhh... I use email.... (smile). On a serious note, I am soooo far behind on social technologies. While I have heard of skype, I have not heard of snapchat or glide. Give me a few days to set-up accounts and get familiar with these services/apps/technologies. I would love to practice ASL with you.... I think it is a great idea.

Ok my screen names are

Skype gabbie1989
Glide MLG ARPJ
Snapchat sweetie201489

Hello, I am also from the Atlanta Area (Woodstock - Cherokee County) and I have lived here since the 7th grade. I wear two BTE hearing aids and I am fluent in ASL as well. My wife is profoundly deaf, has a CI she refuses to wear, we have a 1 year old and another is on its way. I also have my BA from Gallaudet and am currently scouting different Universities to enroll for my Masters in Deaf Education.

Hello, I am also from the Atlanta Area (Woodstock - Cherokee County) and I have lived here since the 7th grade. I wear two BTE hearing aids and I am fluent in ASL as well. My wife is profoundly deaf, has a CI she refuses to wear, we have a 1 year old and another is on its way. I also have my BA from Gallaudet and am currently scouting different Universities to enroll for my Masters in Deaf Education.

May I ask why your wife refuses to wear her CI? I had myself checked out at Emory back in 2005 for one, the surgeon declined me, as he said I was doing well enough with my BTEs, but he did say I'd need one at some point in the future. I'm a bit scared to get one at this point anyhow, at least until I know I'd be better off with a CI than BTE. Regardless, I plan on learning ASL sometime. :)

May I ask why your wife refuses to wear her CI? I had myself checked out at Emory back in 2005 for one, the surgeon declined me, as he said I was doing well enough with my BTEs, but he did say I'd need one at some point in the future. I'm a bit scared to get one at this point anyhow, at least until I know I'd be better off with a CI than BTE. Regardless, I plan on learning ASL sometime. :)

My wife's ex husband told her it made her look ugly. Me, her father and mother, as well as my father are encouraging her to wear it again (but not pressuring her).

My dad recently got a CI at Emory and it was activated October 16th. He is doing well with it, but it will take him about 1 year to get used to it (doctors said this). They will have to re-map it about 5-6 times.

I have been in Atlanta since 92... a little over 20 years. We've just moved out to Gwinnett the past two years. Congratulations on your up coming child. I have two - 9 & 11. I am kind of interested on what university you end up selecting for your Masters in Deaf Education... so let me know when you can. When it comes to advance Deaf studies, I almost always, and only, think Gallaudet. I do plan to stop by the AASD's Fall Festival tomorrow (11:00 - 3:00). Do you go to any Deaf activities/functions in which we could meet? Send me an email (dgjones37@g-m-a-i-l.com ; remove the dashes) when you can. Thank, Donald

Back