Hello Everyone! (coming to terms)

Hi! What part of Va are you in? I'm from just outside of DC, went to college in Roanoke and lived in Charlottesville for a few years after college (the first time. I just started back again to become a nurse). I'm all the way on the other side of the country now though :)

I too have had a slew of eye surgeries. I was born cross eyed and had several surgeries on the muscles in my eyes as I grew up. I also have some malformation of the optic nerve in my right eye and non-progressive mild cataracts. All that sounds worse than it is. I can see well enough t drive with contacts, but I have trouble with vertical depth perception (like stairs or the height of things) and have nystagmus that gets worse when I'm tired. I realize this is a Deaf forum, but I find eye stuff interesting. :)
It sound's like you and i might have a bit in common :)
I was born with Duane syndrome that left me cross eyed (pre surgery) and I suffered from lazy eye which they corrected by patching my good eye for 6 years. My most common complaint is inability to negotiated depth, but I manage. :)

oh, and I am currently in Richmond area of VA :)

Hi...! When I turned 29 I also realized I wanted more for myself and I recently went back to school. As an adult going back to school can be really challenging. It's very hard to juggle it all! I'm also taking an ASL course right now and we are required to attend deaf events (which is terrifying at first) but, the deaf community has been really friendly. I'd encourage you google events in your area and its possible that your school has a club for the deaf. I'm proud of you and best of luck ;)
Very cool!
Thanks for the advise! I will start Googling tonight:)

It sound's like you and i might have a bit in common :)
I was born with Duane syndrome that left me cross eyed (pre surgery) and I suffered from lazy eye which they corrected by patching my good eye for 6 years. My most common complaint is inability to negotiated depth, but I manage. :)

oh, and I am currently in Richmond area of VA :)

I had to look up Duane syndrome. Fascinating!

I used to play around kayaking in the James right in Richmond. There are some really fun rapids that run right through the city.

Back