Hearing Newbie, "Hi"

RogerRat

Reaction score
In June 2010 I graduated with an AS degree from my local college. I wanted to keep taking classes so I looked through the whole schedule to find something easy that was offered at night. I came across ASL 1 and signed up. That was last fall and I've now completed 1 and 2 and am currently taking a conversation class. I've never worked so hard at something and been so bad at it in my life. I've been to at least a dozen deaf events. The deaf people know me and treat me like I belong. But I'm way below average and can barely communicate with them. I understand finger spelling only if its super slow motion. My instructor is very supportive and keeps telling me not to worry that it will come to me eventually. I don't really have a goal in ASL except that I'm too stubborn to quit until I learn it. I try to learn something everyday, so that's why I joined here. Maybe I can learn a little. See you in the forums.

Welcome. I'm in the same boat as you except I cannot understand fingerspell at all. Not even slow.

i know what you mean, i just took my first ASL class last year and although it came really naturally to me i know a lot of others had a lot of trouble picking it up. your plan of learning something new everyday is good too and another thing that really helped me is looking in a mirror and watching yourself fingerspell first and once you are able to read it better then start with signs, that catapulted me into much better understanding! good luck!

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Welcome! I've learned ASL as an adult, so I understand how hard it is. Good for you attending socials! You'll learn more at socials than you'd ever learn in a class. Besides, you'll make some great friends along the way.

Thanks for welcoming me to your community. So far I've been reading about some of the dumb things us hearing people say and do when we encounter the deaf. I'll do my best to avoid repeating them. I'll definitely avoid saying "never mind" to anyone.

Congrats on sticking with it. I found it a fascinating language too. Good luck! See you around!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

HI there Im hearing and Ive been signing for about 10 years now....I just moved to Atlanta and Im looking for people to continue using the language I fell in love with in High school.

Hi!

Also new to alldeaf. I am sure you'll find some great people on here, I sure have so far!

Shame there arent many people in Aus, well not many I've come across.

All the best!

-P

Back