<---Hearing; new doctor; spouse has progressive hearing loss

teamint

Reaction score
Wishing you all a nice evening!

That's great! Good luck to her! Is she sub-specialized? I am really fortunate that this year, my first year of residency, I have gotten to work with the very best nurses. They've really been amazing teachers and colleagues. In medical school, I was in a big city and I didn't much like hospital work (I'm more of a clinic kinda-lady). People seemed...sad or overwhelmed or something. But now I go to a smaller hospital and really love my time there. Everyone is dedicated to patient care and happy to work together for the best patient outcome. There is none of that weird "white coat - to - nonwhite coat" tension, you know?

:wave:..welcome aboard, Doc!...and believe I'm older than Botti :giggle:...so, more than likely she's just pulling ur leg about being an old lady!

That's great! Good luck to her! Is she sub-specialized? I am really fortunate that this year, my first year of residency, I have gotten to work with the very best nurses. They've really been amazing teachers and colleagues. In medical school, I was in a big city and I didn't much like hospital work (I'm more of a clinic kinda-lady). People seemed...sad or overwhelmed or something. But now I go to a smaller hospital and really love my time there. Everyone is dedicated to patient care and happy to work together for the best patient outcome. There is none of that weird "white coat - to - nonwhite coat" tension, you know?

Sub-specialized in Adult/Gero.

And Robin tells the truth I am younger than she is, but I have been ill and I have Ocular Histoplasmosis Syndrome in addition to being deaf so am legally blind now also. That has slowed me down a bit.

Thank you!
And.... Well, we wouldn't want to give away any secrets. You ladies can thumb-war or rock-paper-scissors for the 'vintage' title, if you wish. <wink>

Botti: Histoplasmosis? Were you a cave-diver? Bat exposure? I am sorry to hear that you have been ill. I must admit that your diagnosis sent me to "PubMed." I know of histoplasmosis as a lung disease, but was not aware that there is an isolated ocular manifestation possible. For the education, I thank you.

Botti: Histoplasmosis? Were you a cave-diver? Bat exposure? I am sorry to hear that you have been ill. I must admit that your diagnosis sent me to "PubMed." I know of histoplasmosis as a lung disease, but was not aware that there is an isolated ocular manifestation possible. For the education, I thank you.

It's quite common in the Midwest, and yes , bat exposure.

Ocular Histoplasmosis syndrome is actually one of the more common cause of acquired blindness.

Botti: Huh. Then I best get to reading more on it, eh? :) I would have put diabetes, macular degeneration, and cataracts on the top of the list for leading causes of acquired blindness. But that would be an estimate based on what I see in clinic. I appreciate the insight!

Botti: Huh. Then I best get to reading more on it, eh? :) I would have put diabetes, macular degeneration, and cataracts on the top of the list for leading causes of acquired blindness. But that would be an estimate based on what I see in clinic. I appreciate the insight!

Ocular histoplasmosis syndrome definition - Medical Dictionary definitions of popular medical terms easily defined on MedTerms

Ocular histoplasmosis syndrome: An eye disease that is a leading cause of vision loss, due to the spread of spores of the fungus Histoplasma capsulatum (histo) from the lungs to the eye where they lodge in the choroid (a layer of blood vessels that provides blood and nutrients to the retina).

There the spores cause fragile, abnormal blood vessels to grow underneath the retina. These abnormal blood vessels form a lesion known as choroidal neovascularization (CNV). If left untreated, the CNV can turn into scar tissue and replace the normal retinal tissue in the macula (the central part of the retina that provides sharp central vision. If these abnormal blood vessels grow toward the center of the macula, they may affect a tiny depression called the fovea (the region of the retina with the highest concentration of special retinal nerve cells, called cones, that produce sharp, daytime vision). Damage to the fovea and the cones can severely impair, and even destroy, straight-ahead vision. Since the syndrome rarely affects side, or peripheral vision, the disease does not cause total blindness.

The syndrome usually causes no symptoms in its early stages. The initial infection subsides leaving tiny scars called "histo spots," which remain at the infection sites. Histo spots do not generally affect vision, but they can result in complications years or even decades after the original eye infection. In later stages, symptoms may appear if the abnormal blood vessels cause changes in vision. For example, straight lines may appear crooked or wavy, or a blind spot may appear in the field of vision.

A careful eye examination reveals two conditions: (1) The presence of histo spots, which indicate previous exposure to the histo fungus spores; and (2) Swelling of the retina, which signals the growth of new, abnormal blood vessels. professional to better examine the retina.

The only proven treatment is a form of laser surgery called photocoagulation. A small, powerful beam of light destroys the fragile, abnormal blood vessels, as well as a small amount of the overlying retinal tissue. Although the destruction of retinal tissue during the procedure can itself cause some loss of vision, this is done in the hope of protecting the fovea and preserving the finely-tuned vision it provides

Back