Hearing Loss Association of Jacksonville

LuvsInk

Reaction score
(formally Self Help for Hard of Hearing People/SHHH)

Tuesday, March 21, 5:30pm
Jacksonville Public Library
West Regional, Room 105B
1425 Chaffee Road S.
Jacksonville, FL 32211

Directions: I-10, Exit 351 (Whitehouse/Cecil Field)

Information: judy40@bellsouth.net or 904-778-2265

Support, Education and Advocacy

CART (Communications Access Realtime Translation) available. This is captioned text of the meeting proceedings projected on a screen.

Assistive Listening Devices (ALD's) will be demonstrated. Possible subjects for discussions:

Hearing Aid questions and problems
Your legal rights (the ADA)
Assistive Listening Devices
Advocacy and legislation
Telephone strategies * Speech reading
Workplace accommodations
Employment strategies
Communication accessiblity
Travel with hearing loss
Assertiveness
Hearing service dogs
Coping strategies * captioning
TV and movie theaters

Helping our family and friends understand us
Families and friends of people with hearing loss
Parents of children with hearing loss

Hearing Loss Association of America Convention.

For those that have read this post I won't get to meet you there at this meeting because I will be at the deaf rally in Tallahassee on that date. But if you're there at the next meeting I hope to meet everyone that comes and make new friends.

LuvsInk said:
For those that have read this post I won't get to meet you there at this meeting because I will be at the deaf rally in Tallahassee on that date.
What do you mean by a 'Deaf Rally'? I haven't heard anything. Thanks.

Thanks for the details. I was planning to go to the Deaf Rally but it's rather too far and too much for me in time being.

But I'm glad that there is one going on in Jax that day. My wife and I will want to go to that event. I need something to ask and a help on one of my isssue.

Eyeth said:
What do you mean by a 'Deaf Rally'? I haven't heard anything. Thanks.

The deaf rally is being held in Tallahassee. We wanted to change the Hearing Loss Association of Jacksonville meeting but was unable to do so. So, the meeting will be short a few people on the 21st but bigger and better in April. Hope all that can't attend the deaf rally will consider the Hearing Loss meeting on the 21st at the Chaffee Road public library.

Please feel free to contact Judy at the above listed email or phone number for further information.

You really didn't answer the question. By implication, a rally means a gathering of people to support a certain cause. You mentioned a Deaf 'rally' in Tallahassee, the capital of Florida. That certainly suggests there is a issue affecting Deaf people state-wide and needs more scrutiny and attention. So, what is the Deaf rally in Tallahassee all about?

Eyeth said:
You really didn't answer the question. By implication, a rally means a gathering of people to support a certain cause. You mentioned a Deaf 'rally' in Tallahassee, the capital of Florida. That certainly suggests there is a issue affecting Deaf people state-wide and needs more scrutiny and attention. So, what is the Deaf rally in Tallahassee all about?

Rally at the Capitol**
A state wide calling attention to
interpreters, family members, advocates
and anyone who believes to join in the fight for better education, better
quality of interpreters, better emergency preparedness for deaf and hard
of hearing, and better captioning!!!
Are you one of them? Then join us in this fight for
"We May Not Hear, But We Must Be Heard"
Deaf and Hard of Hearing Rally
at the Capitol
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
The Florida Capitol Courtyard
400 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee , Florida
WE MAY NOT HEAR, BUT WE MUST BE HEARD!
BE AN ADVOCATE FOR YOUR OWN RIGHTS!
Share with your legislators your concerns about equal accessibility, interpreter licensure, captioning, emergency preparedness, employment and education!
For more information, contact Chris Wagner at cwagner@fadcentral.org
Proudly sponsored by:
Flyer available for downloading at http://www.fadcentral.org/pdf/Rally_Flyer.pdf

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks, LuvsInk, for the Deaf Rally information. Here's to a high turnout and a successful awareness campaign on the behalf of the FAD.

Eyeth said:
Thanks, LuvsInk, for the Deaf Rally information. Here's to a high turnout and a successful awareness campaign on the behalf of the FAD.

Thank you and I would hope to see a big turnout at the Hearing Loss Association of Jacksonville meetings. There is no cost to join and participate. Everyone is welcome. Hope to see ya there.

Best of luck with the rally and hopefully something will not only get the attention of a chosen few, but also to be able to acheive and accomplish what agendas is being presented as well. ;)

Be sure to do a follow-up as this would be interesting to see how it all goes! :)

I'm not too sure if I will go but my wife will go there tmw.

And hope that they will have another one in April as well.

Due to health reasons I am not going to be able to make the deaf rally in Tallahassee but I plan on attending the Hearing Loss Association of Jacksonville meeting. Hope to meet some new friends there.

Back