hearing, involved w/deaf man

pinkyandshmoo

Reaction score
my name is pinky, i'm hearing and i've been in love w/a deaf man for 20+ years. (long story, lost track of each other, got back together) i was a deaf studies major in college and currently teach the occasional basic sign language course. he speaks & signs, i mostly sign w/him instead of him having to rely on lipreading. (which is tiring for him, of course) other than that, i'm the proud mother of an 8 year old daughter who is rapidly picking up more signs as she goes along.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Just have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Welcome

If you don't mind my asking, what got you interested in deaf studies in the first place? Your boyfriend, a family member, or just curiosity?

right after high school i took an overseas trip after recently having had strep throat. the pressure of the airplane cabin ended up forcing the infection into my ears. i spent several months with a moderate to severe hearing loss. once i regained my hearing (most of it anyway, not all) my doctor said i could possibly lose more hearing in the future if i suffered another infection or fever. (which i did) and having always been interested in learning sign language, i took a class. it came easily to me and i ended up majoring in deaf studies in college. i was lucky enough to attend CSUN, where i became heavily involved in deaf related events, and also working at NCOD.

If you don't mind my asking, what got you interested in deaf studies in the first place? Your boyfriend, a family member, or just curiosity?

Wow...

That must have been an intense experience. Reminds me of the time my hearing aids got stolen and I had to travel from the US to New Zealand without being able to hear anything at all. Wasn't a big deal except for never being able to hear when my seating group was allowed to get on board the plane or answer the stupid questions about whether or not I'd packed drugs in my luggage.

I also used to date this amazing woman who was profoundly deaf and just loved communicating via sign or lipreading. Either way, it's amazing what a difference it makes to a relationship when both people always have to look at each other when they're "talking". Not having to wear the hearing aids whenever I was home was also a huge bonus.

Back