Hearing Impaired

Hmmm, so I cannot say my would-be hearing was impaired because my Mom had German measles? It did, though, ya know....

Hmmm, so I cannot say my would-be hearing was impaired because my Mom had German measles? It did, though, ya know....

Ahhh....you and Redfox both have very valid points, Tousi. But would you also say that what is and what could have been given different circumstances present unlike situations? And that saying your would be hearing was impaired by congentital exposure to German measles is a bit different in connation than "I am hearing impaired?" Just a question for discussion, mind you!:giggle:

I know....the term impaired sounds like its a BAD thing. I've never liked hearing impaired. I don't feel like I can't function without "regular" hearing. It's pretty much along the same lines as "wheelchair bound"................
Oh and it's not a bad label. Me identifying as hoh is basicly like my friend Nancia iding as Greek.

I know....the term impaired sounds like its a BAD thing. I've never liked hearing impaired. I don't feel like I can't function without "regular" hearing. It's pretty much along the same lines as "wheelchair bound"................
Oh and it's not a bad label. Me identifying as hoh is basicly like my friend Nancia iding as Greek.

That was kind of my point dd. I think it depends on whether you id as a member of a culturally and linguistically different group, or whether you subscribe to a more medicalized view.

That was kind of my point dd. I think it depends on whether you id as a member of a culturally and linguistically different group, or whether you subscribe to a more medicalized view.

Hmmm, I identify successfully with the cultural and linguistic (not on the edge of the fringe but sorta close to it, lol) group, specifically, the d/Deaf world but I use the word "hearing impairment" and "hoh" alternately (the medicalized term) with hearing people who have nothing to do with nor have ever met a culturally deaf person. But there are the occasions when someone might probe out of genuine curiosity and that's when I'll open the door a bit. That's probably the extent of my being a "fisher of men" as far as spreading the word on deafness is concerned. I'm just not cut out to do more, I guess.

Hmmm, I identify successfully with the cultural and linguistic (not on the edge of the fringe but sorta close to it, lol) group, specifically, the d/Deaf world but I use the word "hearing impairment" and "hoh" alternately (the medicalized term) with hearing people who have nothing to do with nor have ever met a culturally deaf person. But there are the occasions when someone might probe out of genuine curiosity and that's when I'll open the door a bit. That's probably the extent of my being a "fisher of men" as far as spreading the word on deafness is concerned. I'm just not cut out to do more, I guess.

That's very clever! Interesting perspective..damn, I am learning a lot from this thread already. :)

Im in hard place as well. I grew up in a hearing world, profoundly deaf in my left ear and hard of hearing/hearing impaired in my right. For the longest time my parents believed that I was mentally retarded as I was not communicating with them and I had not learned to walk by the time I was 2. they later found out I was lacking in the hearing department. This is when the 'deaf and dumb' mantra seemed to start. For the longest time I did not like the word deaf because I thought that being deaf also made me dumb. I grew up and realized otherwise. But still for years my dad always made a big deal of it and I would want to hide it that much more.

Now Im learning that its something I cant change or hide, and if someone wants to ridicule me for it, it is their problem not mine. I dont have to hear it.

So I guess I could be OK with either term, HOH and/or deaf since identify myself with both.

You are probably wise in your selectiveness! Got any tips on achieving that?:giggle: I have a feeling that being more selective would definately result in less frustration in my life!:giggle:

Sometimes I think that it really doesn't matter.... I like going by the name of Crystal..rather then the HoH woman or the girl with the interp. in class.,... i don't like hearing impaired because it offends the Deaf community and I want to be culturally aware of things like that...

You are probably wise in your selectiveness! Got any tips on achieving that?:giggle: I have a feeling that being more selective would definately result in less frustration in my life!:giggle:

Hahaha, Jillio, and no I don't have any tips for ya cuz you are you....full steam ahead! You can't be anything/body else! Oh, and I like what I see too, so there! lol!

I think that every group has its labels, which when used and coined by the majority, they find offensive. I'm sure that we deaf people often use language relating to them in an offensive way, without our really thinking about it or being aware of it just because we aren't really familiar with that group. From my friends who have adopted children, I've found that it's offensive to use the word "natural parents" or "real parents" when referring to their childrens' biological parents. Also they regard schemes such as "adopt a highway" or "adopt a dog" as inappropriately termed. However, I would not have known that without close contact with them.

So, I think that expecting the hearing majority with little exposure to deafness to know that "hearing impaired" is offensive is probably asking more from them than we are capable of doing for other interest groups. I can see why people find it offensive upon reflection, it doesn't really bother me though. My hearing is more than impaired anyway LOL! I'm completely deaf.

"Deaf and Dumb" is probably more obviously offensive in my eyes because of the popular meaning of "dumb".

The hearing folks especially those with big $$$$$ money to donate like the 'hearing impaired' terminology better. It shows in our grantwriting results.

Richard

I think that every group has its labels, which when used and coined by the majority, they find offensive. I'm sure that we deaf people often use language relating to them in an offensive way, without our really thinking about it or being aware of it just because we aren't really familiar with that group. From my friends who have adopted children, I've found that it's offensive to use the word "natural parents" or "real parents" when referring to their childrens' biological parents. Also they regard schemes such as "adopt a highway" or "adopt a dog" as inappropriately termed. However, I would not have known that without close contact with them.

So, I think that expecting the hearing majority with little exposure to deafness to know that "hearing impaired" is offensive is probably asking more from them than we are capable of doing for other interest groups. I can see why people find it offensive upon reflection, it doesn't really bother me though. My hearing is more than impaired anyway LOL! I'm completely deaf.

"Deaf and Dumb" is probably more obviously offensive in my eyes because of the popular meaning of "dumb".

I agree with u. I have some issues with another label that I am still not sure how I feel about. People call my kids "mixed" or "mutts" or "Oreo" because they are half Mexican/half white/ and half black/half white. I have a lot of labels to deal with now. :giggle:

Hahaha, Jillio, and no I don't have any tips for ya cuz you are you....full steam ahead! You can't be anything/body else! Oh, and I like what I see too, so there! lol!

Why, thank you!:ty: I guess I'll keep forging ahead!

The hearing folks especially those with big $$$$$ money to donate like the 'hearing impaired' terminology better. It shows in our grantwriting results.

Richard

Of course the hearing like the term better, and there are some very clear sociological reasons for that, expecially if you view the preference in terms of symbolic interaction theory. But my thread was started to find out what individuals within deaf community prefers, not the hearing community. This is a question addressed tothe individuals that make up the group, not tothe group in and of tiself. Different persepctive.

I agree with u. I have some issues with another label that I am still not sure how I feel about. People call my kids "mixed" or "mutts" or "Oreo" because they are half Mexican/half white/ and half black/half white. I have a lot of labels to deal with now. :giggle:

I grew up with cousins who are bi-raicial in a time when inter-racial relationships were very much not accpeted by the majority. To me, they were simply my cousins, and their parents were simply my aunt and uncle. My family did not refer to them by any racially defining lables. However, I certainly wiitnessed the insensitivity and bigotry that was directed, sometimes overtly, sometimes covertly, toward them, and at times, toward myself as family member. But back then, the epitaths were not as mild as "mixed", but made reference tot he n-word, and n-lover for those who associated with or were related to them. Perhaps that wa the beginning of my intolerance for bigotry and predjucice directed toward any individual. My mother's mother is also bi-racial, although she died when my mother was only 11 years old, so I never knew her, although the evidence of African American blood is definately obvious in many of my family members, my own son and brother included. I happen to resemble my father's German Irish side of the family and have very pale skin and red hair. As a child, I was often told that I couldn't be related to the darker skinned members of my family because of the difference in our appearance. I have always found that attitude to absurd.

A little something that kind of reminded me of this thread earlier today. In the church bulletin I noticed down at the bottom it read:

We have listening devices for the partially hearing impaired. If you need hearing assistance please contact the church office and you will be provided with a hearing device before each sermon.

The part that irked me was 'partially hearing impaired'. So I guess the church office believes that hearing impaired=deaf???

A little something that kind of reminded me of this thread earlier today. In the church bulletin I noticed down at the bottom it read:

We have listening devices for the partially hearing impaired. If you need hearing assistance please contact the church office and you will be provided with a hearing device before each sermon.

The part that irked me was 'partially hearing impaired'. So I guess the church office believes that hearing impaired=deaf???

must be...

never seen that label "partially hearing impaired". Interesting

Actually, from their perspective (i.e., hearing) that makes perfect sense to me. If one was deaf, what good would a listening device be? Given how technology has made it possible for small organizations such as churches to provide listening devices, one going to see odd statements like this more often.

Of course, I don't think I ever seen it expressed that way before.

Yep, that partially hearing impaired has me wondering.........?

Back