Hearing impaired mommy in Tennessee

BethanyDawnm24

Reaction score
Hello. My name is Bethany. I'm 29 years old, have been married for 7 years, and have three children, ages 4, 3, and 5 months. I am hearing impaired and have a progressive hearing loss that started as a child. I received my first set of hearing aids at the age of 13, but they didn't work for me, so I stopped wearing them. I received a cochlear implant at the age of 22 and it works well enough for me to slide by in life, but I'm tired of sliding by and I consider myself a hermit, because I avoid meeting new people because of my hearing impairment. I don't actually have any hearing without the cochlear implant, but I do hear some with it, so I don't know whether I'm considered deaf or hard of hearing. I can't hear music or hear on the phone and I lip read and guess a lot still. I do not know anyone else that is deaf or hard of hearing other than my brother, who is losing his hearing the same way I am. I would like to learn sign language, but don't know where to start. I posted in the sign language section asking about the best way to learn. I'm lonely. I wish I did know sign language already and knew people in my community that know it, too, so I would have someone to talk to. I look forward to meeting people here and hopefully making some new friends. I'm awfully tired of being a hermit! Anyways... Hello! :)

Hello. My name is Bethany. I'm 29 years old, have been married for 7 years, and have three children, ages 4, 3, and 5 months. I am hearing impaired and have a progressive hearing loss that started as a child. I received my first set of hearing aids at the age of 13, but they didn't work for me, so I stopped wearing them. I received a cochlear implant at the age of 22 and it works well enough for me to slide by in life, but I'm tired of sliding by and I consider myself a hermit, because I avoid meeting new people because of my hearing impairment. I don't actually have any hearing without the cochlear implant, but I do hear some with it, so I don't know whether I'm considered deaf or hard of hearing. I can't hear music or hear on the phone and I lip read and guess a lot still. I do not know anyone else that is deaf or hard of hearing other than my brother, who is losing his hearing the same way I am. I would like to learn sign language, but don't know where to start. I posted in the sign language section asking about the best way to learn. I'm lonely. I wish I did know sign language already and knew people in my community that know it, too, so I would have someone to talk to. I look forward to meeting people here and hopefully making some new friends. I'm awfully tired of being a hermit! Anyways... Hello! :)

Welcome to All Deaf :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Well, I don't know much about Tennessee Deaf Communities. You will have to look around in your area or the city nearest to your hometown to find the Deaf community. Also you probably will try to find ASL in the Community college or a place where there is Tennessee Hearing Society. You have to ask them if they have ASL available so that you can learn how to sign. Good luck.

Now that you are here, I hope you can enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

You and me both. I live in North Carolina (hi, neighbour) and... I've seen some deaf people recently, but they're all middle aged! No young adults like myself. I don't know any sign language either and I know my guessing and getting through~ situations is starting to go into a dead end.

Hello, and welcome. I am also new to the site. I started losing my hearing in my left ear when I was 12 and started losing hearing in my right ear last year right after my 25 birthday. I wear hearing aids now and somedays they work better then others. I too have become a hermit because I don't hear great. I was told by my doctors the other day that I should learn ASL, so if you need a study partner let me know. :)

Back