Hearing Ignorance of Deaf Culture

Hi guys,

I am an audiology grad student currently enrolled in a Deaf culture/history/community/etc awareness type class. I was hoping to find a deaf community discussion forum. I am writing a paper for this class and was hoping to get lots of input from Deaf individuals. In class whenever we would do research/have discussion about topics (like audism, education- oralism vs tc vs bi-bi, language, etc) it seemed that we always came back to the same issue- much of the hearing world in America is very ignorant of what Deaf is. Deaf language, community, history, etc. I wanted to explore this further in my paper. Why are most hearing people unaware of this? How can more awareness happen- or does it need to happen? Should we include American Deaf history in our public school textbooks? That sort of thing.

What are your thoughts on this? What type of encounters have you had with ignorance? (For example, I'm a waitress as well as a student and I know enough sign to greet my tables, take their orders, etc. but none of the other servers do. We are near a residential Deaf school and have many deaf customers. I asked another server how he interacts with his deaf customers and he said "As long as you look them in the face and talk slowly they will understand, because they can all lipread". How idiotic! I was inclined to flare up at him but realized he was just displaying his ignorance. That type of thing....)

I would love to hear from yall! Also, can anyone recommend other forums/blogs I could try to get a discussion going on? Thanks very much for any input!

The saddest part about hearing people not knowing anything about the deaf or deaf culture, is most of them really don't care. It is awful, but true. They are not deaf, so they don't think they need to know anything about it. True ignorance is all it is.

For more awareness to occur, they would have to become interested in it. Sadly it can't be forced on them, cause then they won't care more. The hearing people that care about it and learn about the culture are the most important ones. The others can be ignorant all they want, just means they will receive the same disrespect they dish out, since they obviously wouldn't understand a deaf person trying to communicate with them.

It would be cool if some text books, like history class in high school, briefly covered some deaf history. When I was in high school, we learned about AG Bell, but I didn't really know anything except that he invented the telephone (even though that is a lie), until I took a Deaf History class in college. I think just a brief over view of important events would be good. Schools should just toss it in there in chronological order since history books in hs tend to talk about events year to year. So DPN could be thrown in that years chapter, etc.

Sadly, the only hearing people that are not going to be ignorant about the Deaf community are the ones that get involved.

That is true that they don't really care.. which is why when you talk about deafness to them, they don't understand other than say "I'm sorry" and the next thing you know, they are avoiding you.

That is true that they don't really care.. which is why when you talk about deafness to them, they don't understand other than say "I'm sorry" and the next thing you know, they are avoiding you.

Or controlling you, :lol:

Or controlling you, :lol:

Bingo! Right on the nose, you are correct and hearing people are not going to say "I am sorry for being rude" especially when there are social events or Silent Club where hearing people talk with their voices, not signing. This is the great ignorance and it is big time for us, Deafies, to be upset with them. Boy, what a bummer. :roll:

Bingo! Right on the nose, you are correct and hearing people are not going to say "I am sorry for being rude" especially when there are social events or Silent Club where hearing people talk with their voices, not signing. This is the great ignorance and it is big time for us, Deafies, to be upset with them. Boy, what a bummer. :roll:

Just recently I went as saw one of the ASL Films, and there was a group of ASL 1 students in a circle talking it up--so loud. Its soo rude! I know for a fact they learned in their class not to do that! The year before when I went to a different movie, it was silent in the building--a lot nicer.

Back