hearing gone...

darkangel8603

Reaction score
Last nite, I went to bed, took out my hearing aids in my left ear. This morning i put it in my left ear and discover i cant hear anything, at first i thought the battery was dead, so since i ran out of battereis, i got some from the store this evening, put new battery in my hearing aid, try it on, still cannot hear anything. It was weird. so i tried to put the hearing aid in my right ear (uncomfortably since left ear mold does not fit right ear well lol) but i could hear from that hearing aid, so i knew it was not my hearing aid. it was my ear. I not sure whether it is wax buildup or i am actuallly losing my hearing!!!

Hey darkangel!!!! You're the one who was trying to decide if they should opt for a CI right? I think perhaps your body is trying to tell you something! :mrgreen: This might make it a little easier to decide. Anyway, I have heard about some people waking up and finding their residual hearing gone literally overnight. I'm trying to think of resources for you......Are you on any dhh related listservs? I can't really think of any good resources for you....I know progressive losses are common, but overnight losses are rather rare. Go and see your audilogist...they could probaly help a lot more. I have some friends who I'll e-mail and ask for any helpful infomation, OK?

ok thanks.. yah i am the one about the ci..
I will try again tmw, and hopefully its just a one day thing.. hehe

That the problem with being partly deaf-the rest of your hearing can go anytime.The hearing that i have left (in my left ear,c.i in right ear ) just keeps getting worse over the years and has been a factor in me deciding to go ahead with c.i. sooner than planned , as in it's much easier to get used to a c.i. with some hearing than it is with none .I think the rest of my hearing (which is not very much) will be completly gone in 3-5 years, not looking forward to it :ugh:

ravensteve1961 said:
Well something damage those nerve cells darkangel has.

You are making assumptions, RavenSteve. She may have a different kind of loss.

Please think before you type. Otherwise, you'll make yourself look stupid.

:ugh:

Nah there wasnt any hurricaine around here. I live in Ontario Canada, not surrounding any oceans or anything.

My hearing came back today, my mom put baby oil in my ears last nite to loosen the wax, and i try again today, it was back but still not as well as before. So it probably just ear wax.

Hmmmmm....do you have a cold or something? I know when I have a cold my hearing goes down....maybe it's an infection or something....Go see your general practicioner and ask for a really through ear examination to see if anything could be causing the loss.

I agree with deafdyke's advice to see your doctor and/or audiologist. Perhaps it could be allergies? I have a CI in my left ear, but before I was implanted, my hearing used to fluctuate (i.e. get worse) every spring, summer and autumn. When I was evaluated for a CI last summer I was put on allergy meds in the hopes that it would help stabilize my hearing. It did. When I was on medication, my hearing loss "improved" to severe-profound compared to profound when I wasn't on meds.

Are you experiencing any dizziness or vertigo? If you are, that could be a sign of Meniere's disease. Fluctuating hearing loss is a common complaint of people who have Meniere's.

I don't want to scare you by asking these questions, but it is probably best that you see your physician, ENT and/or audiologist right away.

Good luck!! :)

If I recall correctly, darkangel had a progressive loss...right? Is Meinures' even a dx in the pediatric hearing loss community? I thought it only affected older folks!

I think i have a bit of a cold or just a infection in my throat/ear, so it may be the cause.

Hmm I was born profoundly deaf, but over the last 18 years i have gotten worse hearing, so if that what u meant by progressive hearing then yah i have. :-D

Back