Hearing Dogs

Presbyter

Reaction score
I'm interested in getting a hearing dog or dog for the deaf in the Atlanta area. I have no clue where to begin. Please give me some suggestions regarding in getting a hearing dog.
Thanks

try googling hearing dogs. There are plenty of places throughout the states that train them. Look for a local one. Talk to your local deaf/HOH resource centre for additional info on local places.
*EQL*

You shoud check out IAADP , you can get grants to help pay for your dog vet bills. And made sure you get a dog that does not have bad habits that could not be broken. I got a standard poodle and NEADS told me they were not able to stop my dog from stealing food off the table. I was told this after I got as grant to and it was paid to NEADS for training my dog. I can't hear my dog jumping up and getting to kitchen sink to lick a plate. My daughter said she it was crazy to give a dog like that to a HOH person.

Visit Service Dog Central (Service Dog Central | Your ultimate source for service dog information) Service Dog Central Community - Index if you're considering a service dog. There's a lot of great information and a fantastic community over there. I am on the forum and you'll receive a warm welcome and tons of information.

I got a standard poodle and NEADS told me they were not able to stop my dog from stealing food off the table.

NEADS has been in trouble before for producing poorly trained dogs. I do NOT recommend them.

NEADS has been in trouble before for producing poorly trained dogs. I do NOT recommend them.

Can you tell me where to find info on this trouble they got into? I would REALLY appreciate it! I am currently fundraising for a dog for myself (and my daughter) through NEADS. All the dogs I have met have been incredible. My friend has a hearing dog through them and I know several service dogs through them. I can't find any info about them having been in trouble with their training before... in fact the opposite. I want to be fully informed!

Last edited:
I replied to your message. How old is your daughter? You'll be adding TWO service dogs to your house at the same time? Personally, I'm not a huge advocate of service dogs for children under the age of 16.

Visit Service Dog Central (Service Dog Central | Your ultimate source for service dog information) Service Dog Central Community - Index if you're considering a service dog. There's a lot of great information and a fantastic community over there. I am on the forum and you'll receive a warm welcome and tons of information.

when I got my poodle he not has been brush for 3 months and his legs were so matted you could not get a brush through his fur! What kind if trouble was NEADS in? If I get another hearing dog I was not planning on going back to NEADS.

I replied to your message. How old is your daughter? You'll be adding TWO service dogs to your house at the same time? Personally, I'm not a huge advocate of service dogs for children under the age of 16.

NO, one dog. My daughter is 4, the dog is for me and maybe someday when she is older we may look into an autism dog for her, when we have a more space. Right now we are looking at a hearing dog to help me with alarms like doors and windows and her bed alarm because she tends to wake in the middle of the night and I can't hear her getting out of bed till she is jumping on me in mine, so I am not really sleeping trying to keep an "ear" out for her. Also for my name, door knocks, kitchen buzzer (stove), phone, etc. They will be training the dog also to walk with us as a trio to help with her bolting desire. They will have a backpack with handles for her and my hand over hers. The dog will be trained to her cry and her trigger sounds like "uhoh" which comes before her tantrum when something is going not her way. Like trying to get her socks off.... before she starts throwing things. And maybe keep me from getting run over in parking lots..... been an issue this summer..... people keep assuming I know they are just going to back up into me cause I hear them coming or something.... :roll: We know she loves dogs and they have a great calming effect on her during anxious times too, so there is an overlapping there, we hope. Not to mention letting them play outside will help both get some energy out! (she is on the hyper end of things) So while the dog is a hearing dog for me.. it will benefit us both.

Back