Hearing Changes with Accute Illness?

carrigantm9636

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced this: you get a cold/allergies/a virus and your ability to hear takes a nosedive? :dunno:

I am HoH and just in the last day or two have got a cold/allergies, and my hearing in my left ear decreased dramatically, and my right ear just a little. But I have tinnitus (ringing) in both ears, now, on-and-off, which usually only happens to me when loud noises are made around me.

I asked my family (all hearing) if they experienced things like this and they all say "no". Maybe I am just more attuned to paying attention to what I can and cannot hear? It makes me worried because even with my HA it feels like my left ear is really "dead" sounding.

Does this happen to you? Is it possible this is permanent? If it persists for another day or so I will see the doctor on Thursday (going out of town on Friday) and get it checked out. I don't want to over react, though.

Has anyone experienced this: you get a cold/allergies/a virus and your ability to hear takes a nosedive? :dunno:

I am HoH and just in the last day or two have got a cold/allergies, and my hearing in my left ear decreased dramatically, and my right ear just a little. But I have tinnitus (ringing) in both ears, now, on-and-off, which usually only happens to me when loud noises are made around me.

I asked my family (all hearing) if they experienced things like this and they all say "no". Maybe I am just more attuned to paying attention to what I can and cannot hear? It makes me worried because even with my HA it feels like my left ear is really "dead" sounding.

Does this happen to you? Is it possible this is permanent? If it persists for another day or so I will see the doctor on Thursday (going out of town on Friday) and get it checked out. I don't want to over react, though.

Very possible. I already had severe bi-lateral loss, but this January I developed Ramsay-Hunt syndrome, which is caused by reactivation of chicken pox virus. It paralyzed the left side of my face and took much more hearing from my left ear. The hearing part is permanent although the face is getting better. Should see your doctor about anti-virals.

With colds and allergies, it is probably due to fluid buildup in the middle ear that prevents the eardrum from moving properly, thus reducing the hearing. A doctor can do a quick tympanogram by blowing air into the ear to see if the eardrum is moving. If there is fluid present, they can prescribe medication like antihistimines to help dry it up.

I'm hearing and have severe allergies. I have experienced it. My son, who is deaf, also has experienced it. It isn't permanent, but it is annoying.

A trick I use that will relieve it for a few minutes anyway is to hold my nostrils closed with my thumb and forefinger, and then try to blow air through my nose. The pressure displaces the fluid for a few minutes and allows the hearing to become less muffled.

Back