hearing aids

OldNavyGirl

Premium Member
Reaction score
When i was young in h.s. -- I wore hearing aids everyday and I could hear very well and all that.... Recently last month and this month. I got a new hearing aid and WOW.... I lost a lot of sounds -- I missed the old hearing aids cuz I could hear a lot of sounds. :( Now I have a new hearing aid and its very different and hard to hear things and all that. I'm going back begining of November -- to see if i'm qualified for cochlear implant and I'm positive I am. I'm still thinking about it and i haven't decided yet. its a big decision to make.

The main reason is because my new hearing aid. I couldn't really hear a lot of things -- I really want to be able to hear a lot of sounds again for couple of reasons -- working at the hotel -- i can't hear the door if someone is in there?? kids -- I coudln't hear them because I've seen a few kids don't wanna come to someone when they cries. So many things are going through my mind - its still a big decision to make.

I wish you best of the luck!

When i was young in h.s. -- I wore hearing aids everyday and I could hear very well and all that.... Recently last month and this month. I got a new hearing aid and WOW.... I lost a lot of sounds -- I missed the old hearing aids cuz I could hear a lot of sounds. :( Now I have a new hearing aid and its very different and hard to hear things and all that. I'm going back begining of November -- to see if i'm qualified for cochlear implant and I'm positive I am. I'm still thinking about it and i haven't decided yet. its a big decision to make.

The main reason is because my new hearing aid. I couldn't really hear a lot of things -- I really want to be able to hear a lot of sounds again for couple of reasons -- working at the hotel -- i can't hear the door if someone is in there?? kids -- I coudln't hear them because I've seen a few kids don't wanna come to someone when they cries. So many things are going through my mind - its still a big decision to make.

Have you gone back to your audiologist and had them reprogram your HA's? That might help, you never know. (didn't help me much, lol) I really like my CI it's so much better then the HA. I wish you the best in whatever dicision you make.

Have you gone back to your audiologist and had them reprogram your HA's? That might help, you never know. (didn't help me much, lol) I really like my CI it's so much better then the HA. I wish you the best in whatever dicision you make.

Yes I have and it didn't help and figured its because i haven't wore hearing aids for long time and seems to lost some hearing or something like that. so I'm wearing it everyday to try and pick up as much as i can before i decide to have cochlear implant or not. :)

Yeah I know what you mean :)

Same as me when I got new hearing aids and not used it it is different from my old hearing aids so I had to get use it with the new hearing aids to hear the sound to take a while till got it all the sound :). I was thinking about to get digtal hearing aids but I wasnt sure right now so take my time not to rush . Soon I get need new ear molds and the tubes cause the tubes getting hard not soft anymore :( and the ear molds need new cause it is old. :)

When I breifly switched from my analog hearing aids to some digital ones, I had similar problems. Everything sounded plain WRONG to me, and whenever a door slammed it either sounded like a mini-explosion or that something was getting cut off.
But I switched back to the analog hearing aids and I've been hearing fine ever since- Perhaps your having a similar XP?

When I breifly switched from my analog hearing aids to some digital ones, I had similar problems. Everything sounded plain WRONG to me, and whenever a door slammed it either sounded like a mini-explosion or that something was getting cut off.
But I switched back to the analog hearing aids and I've been hearing fine ever since- Perhaps your having a similar XP?

About the mini explosion..I can relate to that. When I tried out digital hearing aides, it seemed like EVERY little sound was amplied 100 times. I had to cover my ears. Scared the hell out of me!!! LOL

Anyways...it seems more people like their CI's better than hearing aides. I am too chicken to get a CI. :dunno:

Good luck in making the decision!

I tried to have HA on my right ear before CI years ago. I couldnt hear anything. My hearing were dropped since I wore HA the last time was abt 10 yrs ago. I had hearing test for my right ear, they told me it was bad. I was shocked so I decided to have CI on that bad ear. I am still wearing my HA on left ear since I was 3. I still hear it very well. I have HA on left and CI on right.

I tried to have HA on my right ear before CI years ago. I couldnt hear anything. My hearing were dropped since I wore HA the last time was abt 10 yrs ago. I had hearing test for my right ear, they told me it was bad. I was shocked so I decided to have CI on that bad ear. I am still wearing my HA on left ear since I was 3. I still hear it very well. I have HA on left and CI on right.

Yeah, I have no benefit from HAs in both ears. I didn't like wearing HAs when I was a kid, I had so little hearing by the time I was 8-10 years old that all I got anymore was VERY VERY VERY ticklish vibrations from the earmolds, and that drove me crazy!

I def. have to agree with you all when u mention the 'mini explosions'. I wear digital myself and sometimes it seems like everything is amplified 100x, and at other times i feel like i can't hear shit-all. Lately i've noticed that speech sounds distored with some ppl - and at other times i can hear clear as day.

I remember when i first got my digitals, i was sitting at the supper table and my mum said something but to me it was like she screamed right in my ear. I told her to please not yell and she said she didn't, but frig, it scared the CRAP out of me!

.... I have HA on left and CI on right.

I think this best solution if one cannot get enough from HAs.
In this case ,a CI would be best solution to speech perception but a hearing aid on the other ear would offer 'directional' or 'stereo' sounds.

I experienced this. I wore hearing aid on the right for 17.5 years and have switched to two aids 1.5 months before. The difference is great.

A CI on the left and a HA on the right , I'm considering this solution for next year.

I remember when i first got my digitals, i was sitting at the supper table and my mum said something but to me it was like she screamed right in my ear. I told her to please not yell and she said she didn't, but frig, it scared the CRAP out of me!

A smilar one happened to me ! After having gotten my digitals , one day , I went to the office of some friends and talked to them.. I thought they spoke loudly ! I said them their voice is high . They said that they were speaking normally not loud.. I was surprised that ,too :)

What brand is your HAs , Breezy ?
Mines are Win 112 BTEs from Bernafon.

I'm also considering that solution only in reverse. HA over left ear and CI in right.

they told me that the digital ha i will get is stronger.. i hope it will not hurt me as i am very sensitive to loud noises? :( im paranoid that it will cause me more headaches or migraine headaches.. yikes!

No you won't suffer from loud noises. I am sensitive to loud noises,too. With my digitals, I don't have much trouble with high sounds. Digital aids do not amplify loud noises too much. Soft sounds are amplified to fit into user's audiogramme . Loud sounds are preserved below uncomfortable level of the user. That's the meaning of 'compression' , too.

oh good.. i hope you are right about that ha.. even with my ha analog i get so sensitive to loud noises that they had to fix the level to where i wont wince to it.. i just hope that the digital ha will not hurt me too.. hehe.. i will let ya know :)

Anyways...it seems more people like their CI's better than hearing aides. I am too chicken to get a CI. :dunno:

I can relate to that as well. When the mayo docs suggested it to me once, the first image that popped into my head was a borg version of myself. :eek3: Not to wild about that thought... So I'll probably not gat a CI.

Yeah, I have no benefit from HAs in both ears. I didn't like wearing HAs when I was a kid, I had so little hearing by the time I was 8-10 years old that all I got anymore was VERY VERY VERY ticklish vibrations from the earmolds, and that drove me crazy!
Lucia, I do not like ear mold but I am very patient with it. I need to hear with HA on the left ear when I go out in public. At home I dont wear it. No one here except my cats and TV sound.

Back