Hearing Aids: What brands are best?

Depending on the level of your hearing loss you might benefit from any of the brands (for mild loss) or want to stick to a few brands with established high power aids (Phonak, Oticon, Widex, Siemens but mostly the first two).

My hearing is at 100+ dB across all frequencies and I have Naida (first generation) hearing aids until next week when I get a cochlear implant.

Phonak and Oticon seem to have the most power.

But looking at just the max gain for Phonak Naida (85dB) and Oticon Chili (78dB), there is an obvious difference in power but that does not translate to sound quality.

I have starkey x70 series and they are nice, but mine have some odd static that sounds kind of like running water and it gets super annoying at times, but to deal with moisture, I put them in hal-hen dri-aid every night.

What kind of ear molds are you using are they custom made or one that came with your HA? Do you get a lot of feedback ?
Custom mold- they said it was required for low frequency. My audiogram rises from 85 to 65. Any higher amplification and I hear squeeling.

I totally agree about how loud the beeping between settings is. Pretty sure the battery dying song is the music track for my nightmares.

I'd say see what updated models Unitron have to offer - but it's up to you of course.
I work in a very physical job and my Unitron Quantum E's have just kept on going with the damp and the heat and the sweat etc.
Try whatever you're offered though - horses for courses :)

I notice any brand of hearing aids with digitals that often go bad and go good. while the old hearing aid, anagon is the best. :(

I tried otican and phonak they both are digitals really annoying!

are there any models that DON'T go 'beep beep beep' when you switch between the options (M, M/T, T) or when you close the battery door? It drives me nuts and apparently it is loud enough that some hearing people can use it. It gets worse when the battery starts to die. BEEPBEEPBEEP.....BEEEPBEEEEEEEEEEEEPBEEEEEEEEEEP Augh!!

I had the BEEP BEEP shut of for most things but kept it on for when the battery starting to dies . I do hate when I get moisture in my tube then my HA goes nuts! It BEEP BEEP then drop dead and I can't hear a thing! I can only wear one HA now , my right ear it too mess up from an auto accident cause by a teenage boy that been driving for a week in a sport car.

we all should report to audiologist and take an action on this i hate new hearing aids, no flick with OFF but open the battery open, and digital. I hate it.

we all should report to audiologist and take an action on this i hate new hearing aids, no flick with OFF but open the battery open, and digital. I hate it.

I told my audiologist that I do not like my push button HA . I wanted purple HA and I wish my audiologist had told me they would be kids friendly HA and that is why they went BEEP BEEP for everything , if I turned the HA up or down it went BEEP BEEP and would go nuts from all that damn beeping. My HA also played some horrible music when I put it on , I had that turned off too.

Me too. i can't stand the beep beep, also i dislike the digital too. the sounds goes quiet then loud then quiet. Its not the same as what I had old HA which was Analog (sp?)

pissssssssss

Will you be going for the Alto Pro like I'm looking at do you think? Seems to have all the bells and whistles and I do want Bluetooth!

That is really funny because I was looking at the Alto Pro and the Sensei (the Sensei is a similar model to my current hearing aid *same LED, different button and cool colors)

I was gonna look at the Safari SP too also!

(also went cuckoo for the new Siemens Nitro that has an LED status too *love how the grey stands out because it shouts 21st Century!* (they have those for moderate-severe and profound loss but it might be tricky because my fluctuation hearing loss that ranges from moderate to the profound area!)

are there any models that DON'T go 'beep beep beep' when you switch between the options (M, M/T, T) or when you close the battery door? It drives me nuts and apparently it is loud enough that some hearing people can use it. It gets worse when the battery starts to die. BEEPBEEPBEEP.....BEEEPBEEEEEEEEEEEEPBEEEEEEEEEEP Augh!!

my old hearing aids has a T-coil mode so when I turn that on, there's buzzing.

*I'll save the Gaias if I wanna hear through the car's computer to see what the freaking lump... :P*

The buzzing on T coil happens for me too- it is most noticable if you are near computers, TVs or fluorescent lighting like in cube farm hell.. I mean workplaces like I generally work in. Annoying. BUT that sound does go away if you use FM boots (I leave mine on the hearing aids ALL the time).

I really want color hearing aids... the last time I tried they poo-pooed it "Not appropriate for work or business or adults" THhhp. (that and I suspect VR would have had thing or two to say but I'm going to try again, not sure if I'm getting funded again or not this time... they are being S-L-O-W :( )

Hm May have to check out Phonak again. My dB level average is 105 in both ears..and as noted.. a power junkie lol.

yeah I was gonna check out the Phonaks as well! (my db in my left ear down in the lows is 100)

I have phonak audios bte and im havinn a lot of interferece problems.......

My phonaks are only about 3 yrs old but its constant interfernce and im still missing alot. I am HOH. I want earmolds......can adults get them (im 27) and can get colors or is that jus for kids? Im still fairly new all this....... I am moderate in right ear and mild/moderate in left.

My phonaks are only about 3 yrs old but its constant interfernce and im still missing alot. I am HOH. I want earmolds......can adults get them (im 27) and can get colors or is that jus for kids? Im still fairly new all this....... I am moderate in right ear and mild/moderate in left.

just let your audiologist know you want earmolds and colored ones at that.

just let your audiologist know you want earmolds and colored ones at that.

yeah besides, colored earmolds is for EVERYONE!!! (except me and Meggers because we both suffer from an allergy which leaves us with blood, blisters, rashes and REDNESS! )

That is really funny because I was looking at the Alto Pro and the Sensei (the Sensei is a similar model to my current hearing aid *same LED, different button and cool colors)

I was gonna look at the Safari SP too also!

(also went cuckoo for the new Siemens Nitro that has an LED status too *love how the grey stands out because it shouts 21st Century!* (they have those for moderate-severe and profound loss but it might be tricky because my fluctuation hearing loss that ranges from moderate to the profound area!)

Well I don't have any choice from this audiologist as he said Oticon or give me a good argument so I did try on the Phonak Audeo Q mini RIC (and I only just learnt what that is) and I loved the open feel of them, and they were so tiny I am worried it would get lost and I wouldn't know it.

Just have to see the Audi to see if he will agree to this model as it was the private audiologist with Hearing Planet that recommended it as she said you can add pieces if your hearing gets worse.

Well I don't have any choice from this audiologist as he said Oticon or give me a good argument so I did try on the Phonak Audeo Q mini RIC (and I only just learnt what that is) and I loved the open feel of them, and they were so tiny I am worried it would get lost and I wouldn't know it.

Just have to see the Audi to see if he will agree to this model as it was the private audiologist with Hearing Planet that recommended it as she said you can add pieces if your hearing gets worse.

I have thise exact HA and i have alot of feedback/interfence problems and they make this popin sound when i listen to my system in my car.........? Maybe its jus mine idk i dont think they are programmed right......? Does it take more than jus one visit to fully adjust and program HAs?

I have thise exact HA and i have alot of feedback/interfence problems and they make this popin sound when i listen to my system in my car.........? Maybe its jus mine idk i dont think they are programmed right......? Does it take more than jus one visit to fully adjust and program HAs?

Just... Popping... I don't know..

Didn't you ask the audiologist ?

You should have received this information while you were there purchasing and picking up hearing aids.

Unless you bought them on ebay or something similar.

Just... Popping... I don't know..

Didn't you ask the audiologist ?

You should have received this information while you were there purchasing and picking up hearing aids.

Unless you bought them on ebay or something similar.
ok ive had a lot of problems hearing my whole life my mom never listened anyway I went to an ENT when I met the man im now married too bc he said that its not normal and its affecting my son who is now six i got HA from this lady in the ENTs office she wasn't very nice or helpful I had NO IDEA what to get so she jus said ok get this....... I got financial help from a state agency(back in Alabama)((i live in TN now)) i went in to pick them up she hooked them up to a computer adjusted some things then tore up a piece of paper and asked how it sounded........then said i was good to go............

nothing sounds the same to me anymore........ its weird i went 25 years HOH .....IDK

Back