hearing aids for the first time...

HOHLOVE<3

Reaction score
hey y'all, i need some advice. about a month ago i started to realize that my hearing in my left ear wasnt good as my right ear. i told my mom i wanted to get my hearing checked...so my mom is taking me to the doctors next week sometime. im really scared of what they might tell me. has anyone ever had this problem? what if they tell me i have a hearing loss? what kind of hearing aid should i get?

really only an audiologist can tell you what hearing aids would be best, because it depends on your type and degree of loss, or if you even need them.

If they tell you that you have hearing loss... its not the end of the world... you can get through it, and you may come off better for it. Many of us here are either deaf, Deaf or HOH, or some mix of the three, though that isn't always the case.

I take it you have had normal hearing all your life, there are a few reasons why your hearing can start to decline, anything from ear wax build up to damage to the inside of your ear or your auditory nerve. Don't freak out over the possibility that your hearing may not be "perfect" (as the hearing world would put it) but wait until you hear from the audi or ENT, depending on which your mom is taking you to.

don't worry , it will be fine but when I had my 1st aids, I loved them =D but do not 4get that I'm an expert behind the techology on 2day's hearing aids. (I have hearing aids that can also be a bluetooth by using the Streamer) if U wanna know my 1st digital aid, it was an Oticon Gaia which I hate right now.

thanks all for the help. im going to get my hearing checked within the next 2 weeks, as the appointment comes closer it makes me more and more nervous...what if the result is bad? ill keep you informed on what happenes

Hello HOHLOVE<3

welcome to see you nice to meet :)
I am first time my hearing aid :P

thanks all for the help. im going to get my hearing checked within the next 2 weeks, as the appointment comes closer it makes me more and more nervous...what if the result is bad? ill keep you informed on what happenes

You'll be fine, whatever the results. The important thing is to know.

Hearing aids today are SO much better than they were years ago. Not perfect, no technology can replicate natural hearing, but some come very close.

It will be a learning process for you, but just take it step by step, and it will all work out.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. So you are late deafened, you will be fine when you get the hang of losing your hearing. Just like ash345 said that it is better to find out the result from your audiologist to whether you have a problem of losing your hearing or just an ear wax build up inside of your ear. Also the audiologist will give you the audiogram test to see how much hearing loss you have. Then the audiologist will give you the right kind of hearing aid that will help you hear sounds only that the sounds will not be that clear. You will not be able to pick up the speech sounds. :dunno:

Good luck on the journey to the audiologist.

I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. So you are late deafened, you will be fine when you get the hang of losing your hearing. Just like ash345 said that it is better to find out the result from your audiologist to whether you have a problem of losing your hearing or just an ear wax build up inside of your ear. Also the audiologist will give you the audiogram test to see how much hearing loss you have. Then the audiologist will give you the right kind of hearing aid that will help you hear sounds only that the sounds will not be that clear. You will not be able to pick up the speech sounds. :dunno:

Good luck on the journey to the audiologist.

I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Why do you say that, as if it were a fact that she won't be able to pick up the speech sounds? It depends on the type of loss and on how well the HA fits her loss. Most people using HAs pick up speech sounds.

Why do you say that, as if it were a fact that she won't be able to pick up the speech sounds? It depends on the type of loss and on how well the HA fits her loss. Most people using HAs pick up speech sounds.

If he get the result on the audiogram saying that he has mild or moderate hearing loss (I am leaning on the mild more than moderate that the hard of hearing can pick up the words with the hearing aids). But other than that, most hearing devices don't really pick up the words very well unless you are in the familiar being in the family or close friends, but not strangers.

If he was hearing before he lose his hearing loss, then he might be able to pick up the words with his hearing aids. Remember we all have different degrees of hearing losses. So it is up to the audiologist to find out the result of the audiogram. :wave:

I wouldn't be to worried. I went on Tue. To get my hearing aid fixed, and found out I now have hearing loss in my other ear. It is what it is, and we keep going. Just take things as they come.you have made it this long. If you gat hearing aids you may be pleasantly surprised. Sometimes I enjoy what I can't hear!

Back