Hearing aid issues...

girlingrey

Reaction score
I have Phonak BTE Savias, and lately I've noticed that I've got some moisture in the tubing. I have a little cup thing with a scre on lid and a smaller set in removable cup thing that has holes in the bottom like a sieve, and you're supposed to place the aid in the smaller cup, placed in the larger cup that will have those tablet things in them. I apologize if this makes no sense D: I'm basically wondering where I can get the tablets (I think its... Oh! Silica tablets!!) or is it worth just investing in a dry-n-store?? I've noticed a lot of you have/like them.
Also. I'm assuming the weird kinda quiet whiny sound I heard today was my batteries dying? I don't get this sound too often, so I'm not sure. Have definitely heard it before, though. Guess I just now have the resources to ask people with experience?

The noise could be, not for sure, but could be feedback from a moist tube.(or the batteries dying, but dont they usually go "boop"?

The omnipresent and sage Bottisini is a wise woman, the Dry & Store is worth every penny. Check them out online. The little drier cups are strictly for beginners or amateurs. (nah, just most of them are not so good)

I got my Dry & Store from Ebay. Not a great idea, but the thing does work great and I am very happy with the little machine. Fewer ear issues, less feedback, longer lasting batteries.

They also sell a device you can probably get at any drug store called an earmold air blower. It comes with a rubber bulb on the end that blows air, forcing moisture out of the ear mold and tubing. It world be a temporary fix until you get dry and store.

Don't laugh

I have this happen several times so I'll warn you. DO NOT attempt to dry your hearing aids out in the microwave.

When you use the blower recommended remove the tubing from the hearing aid. I believe I read it was a bte

if you're somewhere on the road and you need a quick fix - just take the tubing out and blow it :)

:ty:

I was actually in class when this started happenning, and attempted the "blow the moisture out of the tube" trick. It didn't really work all that well. My hearing aids usually make that little beep-y noise when they're dying, sometimes will just cut the sound off.
I only have that little cup thing because that's what they gave me so long ago, before I was initiated into the hearing aid world.
I can't find my little blower (yet another thing that came in that Phonak Box, along with the kid's book "Elmer gets hearing aids" or something like that, about an elephant getting ha's, the elephant hand puppet to go along with it, and elephant stickers-presumably elmer- for the aids) so i guess I'm stuck with my aids as they are right now (Huge snow fall has rendered us stuck at home for at least 24 hrs).
Another weird thing I've noticed.... If you look at that little white thing, like a little, fuzzy marshmallow thing in the earhook, mine looks like it's fuzzing out a little?? Like the fibers are becoming loose or something??? This might've been a result from the Washing Machine Incident.
Could this have anything to do with anything?? :D

:lol: The washing machine? :hmm: I am surprised they work at all!

I know! They went through the washer, then took them out, took the batteries out, put them on top of the dehumidifier with the battery drawer open. One of them worked immediately, the other took a little bit. I ended up just taking the tubes off, taking the ear hooks off, taking the molds off, etc. They worked fine, only problem was I couldn't get the FM boot back on after I had taken it off. I am soooo lucky. *knocks on wood*. I think they're "Water-resistant"?? Meaning they won't be fine if you try to wear them swimming, but... Still not sure how they survived.

The circuitry cannot be damaged by moisture unless its active and/or in use and that's only because electricity and water do not mix. Most electronic components are hermetically sealed regardless of what they are in or on. Most of the circuit board inside a hearing is sealed as well. The manufactures most of the time puts a type of silicone substance on top of the components on the circuit board after they've been soldered to the main circuit board and all the wiring is attached.

Back