Hearing Aid Insurance for Cats and Dogs

Nancy

Reaction score
URL=http://www.hearingcenteronline.com/newsletter/may00a.shtml

May 01, 2000

Hearing-impaired since birth, Robin Itzler realized in her late twenties she would need hearing aids to continue in the hearing world. Considered "functionally deaf," her powerful behind-the-ear (BTE) aids allow her to make the situation a non-issue most of the time. In fact, she is the director of communications for Veterinary Pet Insurance, the nation's number-one pet medical insurance company.

Depending on use, hearing aids need to be replaced every 5 years. The new BTE aids Robin plans to purchase this summer will cost approximately $2,500 each and like thousands of other hearing aid wearers, she will have to pay the entire $5,000 herself.

On the other hand, if any of Robin's three dogs need hearing aids, they will be covered under their Veterinary Pet Insurance medical plan. The Advantage Plus and Gold Plans not only cover the cost of the hearing aids, but also testing and fitting. Most human medical plans do not cover the hearing test, let alone the aids, even though without them the majority of wearers would be unable to function in society.

While an animal's sense of sight and smell certainly compensate for their hearing loss, the in-the-ear (ITE) aids allow dogs and cats to hear familiar sounds such as their owners' voice or pending danger. For some animals, the aids may enable them to live longer lives since they are no longer depressed about the sudden change in their environment.

Veterinary Pet Insurance has been enriching the lives of dogs and cats since 1982 when its first policy was issued. Since that time, it has sold more than 1 million policies. As the nation's oldest and largest pet medical insurance company, Veterinary Pet Insurance is constantly looking at new ways to continue providing pet owners with financial assistance in times of illness or accident.

"The purpose of a Veterinary Pet Insurance policy is to assist with all facets of the animals' well-being," said Jack Stephens, DVM, president and founder, Veterinary Pet Insurance. "If a veterinarian believes that hearing aids will assist the dog or cat we want to help the pet owner with the expense."

Last year, Nancy Hampel, DVM, noticed her 15-year old Boston Terrier, Peter, was experiencing sensory depreciation and it was becoming difficult to communicate with him. "He startled easily when I called him," Hampel explained. She and her husband, Rich Johnson, DVM, had a professional hearing test performed on Peter.

"Peter was tested and since he still had some hearing, an aid was purchased for him," continues Hampel. Using the same technology designed for humans, an ear impression was made to create the mold followed by the purchase of a human in-the-ear aid. The aid allows Peter to hear sound at 40 decibels compared to 90 decibels without the aid. "The hearing aid means Peter can do the things he always enjoyed rather than be handicapped by the growing silence. My dog is getting old but there's no reason he can't live life to the fullest."

May 6 is National Day of Hearing Test. People and their pets should be tested to make sure they're able to hear at their optimal levels. The Baer Test is offered at many leading veterinary universities, such as Texas A&M University's College of Veterinary Medicine, as well as specialized veterinary hospitals. Hearing aids for dogs and cats are another example of how today's technological advances in veterinary medicine are allowing pets to live longer, more rewarding lives. "Being an optimist, I don't dwell too much on the what ifs of life," Itzler says, "but I sure wish human medical plans were as good to hearing-impaired people as Veterinary Pet Insurance is to dogs and cats."

About Veterinary Pet Insurance:

Founded in 1980 by Dr. Jack Stephens with the support of 750 independent veterinarians, Veterinary Pet Insurance is the nation's number-one licensed medical insurance plan for dogs and cats available in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Standard policies cover more than 6,400 medical conditions for accidents and illnesses; preventive and routine-care options also are available. To date, more than 1 million policies have been sold and are exclusively endorsed by the American Humane Association. In California, Veterinary Pet Insurance policies are underwritten by Veterinary Pet Insurance Co. Elsewhere, policies are underwritten by National Casualty Co., an A+15 rated company.

LOL! :)

But, this article is the second time in two days I've seen someone talk about how horrible life must be for deaf dogs. How they're so depressed, they can't have much of a life. I have had dogs who have gone deaf later in life & have adjusted very well. Every bit as happy (or depending on the dog, cranky) & not depressed as they ever were. They didn't startle when I called them - they just didn't turn around. Had to get their attention in other ways, through lights or vibrations. Simple!

Why does this writer think that to communicate with your dog, they have to be able to hear you? As long as the dog can still see, you can still communicate with him or her! One of my dogs was both deaf & mostly blind due to cataracts - still, perfectly happy. Was able to get around, find people & things, including other dogs & toys & her food, & interact with everyone very easily. We communicated with her by touch - she communicated with us by barking & the same ways she always had - body language, etc. She was very happy for about a year right until the end when her health really got bad.

The woman I was talking to yesterday said that any dog who was blind, or blind & deaf, could not have any good quality of life at all. I totally disagree.

I know this may not be the case for all dogs, but had to add my own experiences here.

Nancy said:
URL=http://www.hearingcenteronline.com/newsletter/may00a.shtml

On the other hand, if any of Robin's three dogs need hearing aids, they will be covered under their Veterinary Pet Insurance medical plan. The Advantage Plus and Gold Plans not only cover the cost of the hearing aids, but also testing and fitting. Most human medical plans do not cover the hearing test, let alone the aids, even though without them the majority of wearers would be unable to function in society.

While an animal's sense of sight and smell certainly compensate for their hearing loss, the in-the-ear (ITE) aids allow dogs and cats to hear familiar sounds such as their owners' voice or pending danger. For some animals, the aids may enable them to live longer lives since they are no longer depressed about the sudden change in their environment.

Last year, Nancy Hampel, DVM, noticed her 15-year old Boston Terrier, Peter, was experiencing sensory depreciation and it was becoming difficult to communicate with him. "He startled easily when I called him," Hampel explained. She and her husband, Rich Johnson, DVM, had a professional hearing test performed on Peter.

DefLord said:
This is such a joke... Sad our animals gets covered but not us.. :(

I agree.

I don't wear a hearing aid - with moderate loss I could but also am ok not wearing any. I use amplified phones & lipread & captions to fill in what I miss.

If my insurance would cover it I'd get one - would make things easier. But I don't have the money to pay for it myself.

Done complaining now hehe.

I think it's kinda weird, animals wearing hearing aids? I mean, if they were born with the loss then they'll know no different. if anything, i think they'd freak out from the noise. I know i did when i first heard it, i couldn't imagine a poor animal.

Giving a dog a hearing aid seems like a genius way of getting a hearing aid battery into that dog's stomach. They do eat the things. Plus, what do you do with floppy eared dogs? Nonstop feedback, poor fit...

I know an audiologist who did a hearing aid fitting on a dog. Once. A gazillion years ago. Anyone else hear of this being done? Does the vet do it? Who tests the dog? And how? I mean, sure, I have a dog smart enough that I could probably train her to raise one paw (she's messing up my typing right now). I have another so dumb, if I walk into the closet in front of her, leave the door open, and call her, she still can't find me. Now, that's a dumb dog.

Back