Hearing adopting deaf child

asl_learner

Reaction score
Im only 17 right now but im thinking i might like to adopt a deaf child in a few years... can anyone tell my what steps there are in the adoption process and is there any thing extra that would happen with me adopting a deaf child when im hearing...what would be a good age of child for me to adopt? Like i said I would wait a few years but think i should start research now. Thanks,
Daniel

If you wanted to adopt a deaf child, it's easier if you were older as if you were actually the parent of a child. For instance, if you were 21 and the age of becoming a parent was the age of 18... then your child would have to be 2 years old or less. It would be difficult to have a kid who's 10 years old when you're 19 years old. :eek:

As for the process, I don't really know. I was deaf when my parents took me into foster care. I'll have to ask my parents for that. What my parents did was ask for a child and child services mentioned that they had a deaf child. My parents accepted it and got me. :)

VamPyroX said:
If you wanted to adopt a deaf child, it's easier if you were older as if you were actually the parent of a child. For instance, if you were 21 and the age of becoming a parent was the age of 18... then your child would have to be 2 years old or less. It would be difficult to have a kid who's 10 years old when you're 19 years old. :eek:

As for the process, I don't really know. I was deaf when my parents took me into foster care. I'll have to ask my parents for that. What my parents did was ask for a child and child services mentioned that they had a deaf child. My parents accepted it and got me. :)

:aw: awww they adopted LIL VAMPY!?? and turned him into a VAMPIRE!!??? :eek2:

Last edited:
Cool Vampy,

We also adopted a boy who's deaf, except he wasn't when we first got him. Such a blessing, he is. I would suggest waiting also. You want to be ready for the responsibility. Live a little. There are many organizations you can go thru, foster care, overseas... It's important tho to understand the responsibility. There's a lot to parenting any child, but a child who is deaf and/or has other needs, you really need to be informed and make good decisions. It's not to be taken lightly.

and is there any thing extra that would happen with me adopting a deaf child when im hearing...what would be a good age of child for me to adopt?
Well I DO know that it's a little easier to adopt a dhh kid, as they tend to be very hard to place. Don't forget about us hohies! We need ASL and Deaf culture too!

Back