Hearies and deafies

aweet_princess198925

Reaction score
Would it be wrong for me to have my hearing friends come with me to deaf events since I'm in both worlds.

I keep reading how most deafies have issues with hearies so it's looking like some don't want to interact with hearies.

I keep reading how most deafies have issues with hearies so it's looking like some don't want to interact with hearies.

I wouldn't say "most deafies", rather, a very small percentage would be indifferent and at most hostile. A word of advice to your hearing friend: don't expect every deaf person to be friendly or welcoming.

I wouldn't say "most deafies", rather, a very small percentage would be indifferent and at most hostile. A word of advice to your hearing friend: don't expect every deaf person to be friendly or welcoming.

I really do not get that ! I keep reading deaf people complaining about hearing people not taking the time to try to get understand their culture and when hearing people do try they're not welcome . :roll:

I really do not get that ! I keep reading deaf people complaining about hearing people not taking the time to try to get understand their culture and when hearing people do try they're not welcome . :roll:

What I meant was don't have an expectation that every deaf person will be enthusiastic and supportive about you learning sign language (which is the mentality a lot of hearing students have). Some don't care, which is perfectly fine, however, there are others who are welcoming and appreciate your effort to learn about their language and culture.

What I meant was don't have an expectation that every deaf person will be enthusiastic and supportive about you learning sign language (which is the mentality a lot of hearing students have). Some don't care, which is perfectly fine, however, there are others who are welcoming and appreciate your effort to learn about their language and culture.

I hoping that it's a good experience for them. I am HoH and they think if I loss all hearing that we won't have a reason to be friends anymore. I want to show them we will still hang out but not doing what we normally. They ask if my hearing has gotten better and it's like they don't want to accept I'm losing my hearing.

Last edited:
I hoping that it's a good experience for them. I am HoH and they think if I loss ass hearing that we won't have a reason to be friends anymore. I want to show them we will still hang out but not doing what we normally. They ask if my hearing has gotten better and it's like they don't want to accept I'm losing my hearing.

Should be a good test of friendship then. If they can't accept that you're losing your hearing and don't bother to at least learn some ASL then good riddance to them. Easier said than done, but if they're true friends then they'll stick by you no matter what :)

Ok , I got you now. I feel it's too bad that that has to be this way.

Ok , I got you now. I feel it's too bad that that has to be this way.

Just depends which social you go to. For example, I went to one last week which comprised mostly of older deaf people. I greeted them and told them I was learning and that was that. I was signing with other students the whole night.

Just depends which social you go to. For example, I went to one last week which comprised mostly of older deaf people. I greeted them and told them I was learning and that was that. I was signing with other students the whole night.

I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way but it seems like it's the older people that stay to only deaf community and don't want to be bothered with hearies. Is that because back in their day that's how it was?

I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way but it seems like it's the older people that stay to only deaf community and don't want to be bothered with hearies. Is that because back in their day that's how it was?

Not really. It's more of fact that in many communities the deaf people don't have many opportunities to socialize. They want to utilize that time to the fullest advantage possible whenever the opportunity presents itself.

I am hearing and my son is hoh. His dad is hoh, almost deaf...
I find that some ppl both young and old prefer deaf only ... But some Re fine either way.
I often hear deaf complain how hearing are snobs.. But i also see and hear of so many hearing trying to learn to sign and make friends with deaf. I think it is just like any specified group of people... Its mixed feelings ;)

I keep getting invited to deaf events and have not gone yet. I am a little shy because im new to learning sign.. But i will go to an event soon.

I am an ASL user.
Well, I can share my experiences with you. If the events for deaf people, then I tend to go and search for old friends, and grab my time to chat with them. I do chat with new Deaf people if they know who my old friends are. I admit that I do not have time to chat with any learning ASL people because the place is not for me to teach them at the Deaf events. I don't mind teaching anyone who wants to learn ASL, usually at my work or a small group at a friends house. It's the same thing for Hearing people who do with one Deaf person vice versa.

I am hearing and my son is hoh. His dad is hoh, almost deaf...
I find that some ppl both young and old prefer deaf only ... But some Re fine either way.
I often hear deaf complain how hearing are snobs.. But i also see and hear of so many hearing trying to learn to sign and make friends with deaf. I think it is just like any specified group of people... Its mixed feelings ;)

I keep getting invited to deaf events and have not gone yet. I am a little shy because im new to learning sign.. But i will go to an event soon.

I'm hard of hearing and since my hearing has gotten worse I'm shy to use all so I haven't went to an event yet. I feel I need more practice but since I moved I don't have and deaf friends here only my hearing friends. I didn't think my hearing would get this bad so I didn't practice as much as I should have.

I'm hard of hearing and since my hearing has gotten worse I'm shy to use all so I haven't went to an event yet. I feel I need more practice but since I moved I don't have and deaf friends here only my hearing friends. I didn't think my hearing would get this bad so I didn't practice as much as I should have.

That happen to me when I moved back East from California , I had no one to practice ASL with , in Berkeley I did and this helped a lot. My family is not interested in learning ASL now and I see no point in in trying to relearn ASL when I will not be welcome in the deaf culture b/c I would be a beginner .
I have not see any people use ASL in my city in over 30 years . Only a few hearing people using it when I check out at a store.

The deaf community is so small. Compared to the hearing! And my guess from observation, more often than not, deaf are more cautious as to who they let in their circle of friends.
I want more deaf and hoh friends but then again i do not want them to think i am using them as a free teacher for ASL... They just have to bear with me bcuz i am slow and have lots to learn.
The more i can immerse myself into the deaf culture, i can learn and understand more from them as to how my son is and will be dealing with life as hoh. :)

Back