Hearie Parent learning ASL

angie_fl

Reaction score
Hello, been lurking for almost a week. I am Kat, a hearie parent of a hearie 2 year old with expressive communication delay. Currently working with an EI therapist that wants us to learn baby sign language. I prefer to learn ASL instead of just baby sign language or English Sign Language (thank you for explaining the difference between ESL vs ASL).

Background: My daughter was diagnosed with neuroblastoma 4-s at 10 weeks old and underwent a couple of chemo treatments with platinum-based antineoplastic drugs, and a slew other drugs during her PICU stay which are ototoxic. She is currently in remission for almost a year now, thankfully no major health concerns on the horizon. Her hearing has been tested several times, and which she has passed.

While her hearing is ok at the moment, things might change in the future. Either because of a relapse requiring more chemo, or hearing loss as a late term side effect as she ages. My point for coming here was to have some exposure to the deaf culture outside of the pediatric cancer world. My exposure so far with our treatment centers is basically outlining all major side effects and what you can do to prevent or treat. Hearing loss was mentioned in my literature as something treatable and have meet several kids with HA/CIs. My outlook/worldview on CI/HAs has changed since I've come to this site. As well as being deaf is not something you 'treat', it is your new identity or culture if you so choose.

If we are going to learn signing as a tool for my daughter to become verbal, I would like to go the extra mile an learn a new language properly. Being a parent to a toddler and working full time is throwing a wrench in picking up a college course in ASL. So I'm looking into live online classes (mentioned here) and/or weekend program locally.

Thank you.

In think you're on track with teaching her ASL because its a language she can use long term with new peers if she chooses. Baby sign language usually ends with the basics, which may be all she needs NOW but why not teach her a few chosen words from ASL... It could flourish and help her create her own identity as you said down the road.

What I suggest is meet ups (Find Meetup groups near you - Meetup) or find a local chapter for deaf hoh advocacy and see if there another family with a young child like yours. Set up a play date. Language comes naturally to a child when they're playing and the parent may love to teach you ASL via good conversation just to have some parent fun time as the kids play. My sister and I and my mom learned Dutch that way.... My sister and I had friends who we played with and my mom had coffee with their mom and we all became fluent without even trying.

Also, consider signing on to ASLPRO.com. It isn't going to teach you everything of course, but you can look up words in ABC order and it shows a video of people signing them so you can pick that up. Beat that word in your head for the day and move down the list. =P It helps a lot of friends of mine I've had want to learn ASL including family members. =) I wish you the best of luck and I hope everything is okay and will continue to look up and get better for you. =D

is expressive spoken language her only issue? I WOULD contact your state's School for the Deaf and see if they could help you....While it's rare there are sometimes kids with pure expressive language issues (meaning not mentally disabled related)at Deaf Schools/programs...St. Rita's in Ohio actually has an apraxia program....

ChristineNeely, great suggestion about Meetups. When I feel like I have a better grasp of the language and some confidence I will totally seek that avenue out.

Phoenix23, I love ASLPRO - I especially love how they show the variations of words. But I'm going to pick a vocabulary list and focus on a word each day - great suggestion. I'm going a bit overboard so sticking with easy communication with my daughter. Like all the animals, different food stuff, colors, behavior, naming family members, short phrases, and her nickname (signing her name alphabetically and an animal).

deafdyke, So far from all the testing she's neuro-typical. All her evaluators, and medical team see no red flags, she's still too little so testing is limited. She understands english and spanish, but does not say anything other than mama, da, bye, hi, and her new word agua (water). She does do hand over hand and guides you to do want she wants done with squeals and grunts. She signed help last week but not very constant, and yesterday during therapy she signed more, unprompted and in the correct context. Since starting preschool for a month now, she's added 1 spoken word, and 2 signs. Her teacher is aware that we are signing so she is brushing up on her baby sign language and works one on one with her during lessons. Its a bilingual montessori so they have been wonderful and adapted to her needs. Our closest state School for the Deaf is close to 3 hours away, I will look into this as I will be in talks with IEP when she turns 3 as we transition out of EI. While we have no immediate goals to move her into public school we will use all the resources at our disposal. Private insurance only gives us 30 days of occupational therapy, so hopefully IEP will help with some of it.

Back