have you ever been down or discriminated from...

rjr2006

Reaction score
Have you ever been down or discriminated from getting what you really want but people go off topic and then they force you to do things THAT YOU DON'T WANT TO, just because they only view you as a disability?

This month has been very stressful for me because my transition coordinator is discriminating against me and she doesn't even help me prepare for getting away from home to college. last week, I fought with her and said that she was very mean and crap stuff. man, I was very very furious at her and that she kept telling me lies so she never got things done! She is also pushing me to take psychological testing and that she wants me to go to community college which does not provide tutoring, nor note takers just because it is cheaper for my VR. I was even labeled "learning disability" just because I am deaf and in wheelchair.
Geez, why don't special education staff just get it that I only need proof of my deafness and cerebral palsy in order to attend college?

rjr2006,

Can I ask you something bluntly? Are you an adult? Is your rehab services counselor an adult? If you answered 'yes' to both, then let's repond to that person as an adult. I don't say that to put you down. It appears that your counselor wants to get you tested for any learning disabilities. There is no shame in that, so do it. I have been, just three years ago. My reading level is on the Master's Degree level, as is my comprehension. My IQ is quite high, I found out, so there's no problem with my learning or reading.

I am a avid reader and I write a lot and am well-studied on current local, national and international events. You need to be tested to omit all avenues that are not causing any problems, so that it is out of the way in case you have problems and having documentation to fall back on.

Also, you need to know that states are feeling the pressure to watch their spending, as well as their own confidentiality laws. This is for your good, so don't take it personal. Yes, that is easier said than done.:) Good luck to you!! :thumb:

Well, my good friend...

You would have to accept it since the state VR provide you a good education. Disabled individual has to apply for the VR support. If you do not want to take the psychological exam, you may not obtain the VR fund for the higher education.

I am sorry, but everyone has to accept it.

After taking the psychological exam, if VR does meet your wish, you may need to see the CAP, Client Assistance Program, or a law school nearby your home where they can assist you. That's how I won in a fair hearing against VR with my legal representative from the law school.

It happened to me before and I don't feel as being discriminated, since it part of the process they want you to go thru....

I don't think they're just viewing you as a disablity, it more of they're trying to help you get a good job, in order to do that, there's some required that you will have to go thru, such as going to college, etc....

well, my family and I don't want to go to psychologist but you are telling me that psychological testing is there to determine how smart I am. i just don't get it why vr require psychological testing on disabled :dunno: and there's nothing wrong with my brain

Hon, I'm sure nothing is wrong with your brains, it just that maybe they want to know what you know....Did you ask them the reason why psychological testing is required?... :dunno:

I can understand your sentiment, RJR. I was raised to keep my information confidential and when companies and organizations ask for information, I'm not too keen on giving it away. After all, as my brilliant father used to tell me, "Your information is an asset. If someone's not paying you for it, don't give it out."

My advice to you is to find out whether the tests are necessary or not. If DVR tells you that they are necessary, double check elsewhere. Make sure you read the legal wording on the subject if you can find it.

If the tests are absolutely necessary, find out what you can use instead of the tests. For example, if they need testing to see if you can read and write at an eighth-grade level, find out if submit a copy of your writing, showing that you are well above the eighth-grade level. You get what I'm saying?

I very much applaud you for your sense of privacy. It'll do you well in this age.

Last edited by a moderator:
Endymion has a good point here, you can always double-check to see if the tests are really necessary....

^Angel^ said:
It happened to me before and I don't feel as being discriminated, since it part of the process they want you to go thru....

I don't think they're just viewing you as a disablity, it more of they're trying to help you get a good job, in order to do that, there's some required that you will have to go thru, such as going to college, etc....
how did you get your signture like that? pm me with info :)

Back