Have to share...

rebeccalj

Reaction score
My boyfriend is hearie. I have been teaching him ASL along with him reading his ASL textbook in his free time very soon after we meet (3 months ago).

Today he leave to go North for work. At airport he see security trying to explain to Deaf girl that shampoo too large to come with carry on luggage. He see that she frustrated and 'shutting down' because cannot be understood. He was able to sign and gesture to her what the problem was. She understood him and put shampoo in luggage that go to storage on plane!!

He text me *SO* happy and exhilarated that he knew what to sign and was not shy or embarrassed about it at all. This is first time he sign with someone not me.

I'm *SO*, so proud of him!! Had to share.

this post made me smile :D

that was very sweet of him! you must have done a good job teaching him ASL :thumb:

this post made me smile :D

that was very sweet of him! you must have done a good job teaching him ASL :thumb:

I think he feel like super hero.:giggle:

:ty: I try to sign certain words as I speak so he learn. Not too many words at once. Repeat words so he remember. Always show him what he say to me and how to sign. He a fast learner.

I think prove to him I can go /voice and we can communicate. He was worried that he not know enough ASL to properly communicate. I think we will do fine. Think he just scared. Then today happen and he realize he capable.

They allow shampoo on airplanes?

Not in carry on luggage. That was problem. She have large shampoo bottle in her bag. Security do not allow. My boyfriend explain to Deaf girl not allowed so she put it in luggage that loads on bottom of plane.

That's awesome!

What a confidence booster! :)

Yes, big confidence booster for him.

What *I* want to understand is why do the airport not have Terp? Security thank him so much for helping but if Terp were there would not have been a problem. It's large airport (YVR).:hmm:

My boyfriend is hearie. I have been teaching him ASL along with him reading his ASL textbook in his free time very soon after we meet (3 months ago).

Today he leave to go North for work. At airport he see security trying to explain to Deaf girl that shampoo too large to come with carry on luggage. He see that she frustrated and 'shutting down' because cannot be understood. He was able to sign and gesture to her what the problem was. She understood him and put shampoo in luggage that go to storage on plane!!

He text me *SO* happy and exhilarated that he knew what to sign and was not shy or embarrassed about it at all. This is first time he sign with someone not me.

I'm *SO*, so proud of him!! Had to share.

That's a great story! So cool :)

yes but it has to be in a small container inside plastic bag

^^^^^^ This. If carry on then have to be small and in ziplock. If large then have to go into check in? luggage.

I always bring my own shampoo/conditioner but pack in plastic bag in big luggage. Never carry on.

Also share...

First real 'voice off' experience. Meet buddies at pub today but bring paper and pen.

Start out writing do not speak. Will write. They are okay. <happy>

Talk for 2 hours, catch up. Understand everything *SO* much better not having to speak but just write. Everyone not have problem writing and one buddy learned sign from me simply by me correcting and writing what he say and 'this' is how signed. Show him.

Leave pub and pick up son from hockey. We go to meat store and clerk *know* I Deaf simply because of how I sign number 24 for proscuitto slices needed for appetizer tonight. When I see garlic toast (made inhouse) that other customer buying I ask if instruction on how to cook are on label she SIGNED to me the instructions!!! I was VERY, very happy that she just figured out Deaf from only signing a number to her!! Crazy!!

PFH mention that people learn from him last night even though he drunk. Today I understand how *EASY* it is to do! :ty: PFH!!! Give me courage. Boyfriend give me courage simply by doing what he do yesterday at airport.

Happy day for me. :)

Even son notice how different today I do not talk, rarely, just sign and write. He pick up like *THAT!* Always think he will, how do you say, balk? Fight it? Not today. Today he start to sign with me while he talk and I think to myself, "You've KNOWN sign THIS long and you are signing to me now! Finally?" And he always say he do not know it...but he does!!! Brat! :giggle:

<happy>

Already write email to store thanking them for staff who know sign and I will come in when she is there working to buy meat.

I should say son not 'sign' but gesture in sign. He sign proper word but do not think he knows that he is. My fault. Should have taught sooner. <thud>

Haha, what a lovely few days you've had. So happy to see stories like this! :)

Wow! Store reply by email already!! Ha! Don't get that from Sears! LOL

Hi
I am glad you had a good experience at the store. I have a few deaf customers so when I got a application from a nice girl who could
sign I hired her. Carlene actually has a deaf brother and thats how she knows how to sign. She does go to school though so only works
2 or 3 days per week. If you ever wish to know the shifts she will be working feel free to text me at 604-XXX-XXXX and I can let
you know when she will be working.
Thanks for your business
Mark Steensma

Back