Have anyone tried date an hearing person?

JoeyDeafNinja

Reaction score
anyone? I have a date with hearing girl next satuday :)

yup - all began with wonderful intentions, fun, understanding then ended badly. :aw:

I agree with radioman. I recently lost my girlfriend, who was hearing, dated for 2 years. It was my fault, because i have trust issues, and she left. I had my reasons for not trusting her, but it ended badly. Wish i could fix it, but she wont return my texts, or even try to work it out. So i think a deaf person dating a hearing person is not worth it. I am currently seeking a deaf woman, to try that out and see how it goes. Always dated hearing women, but they are not too understanding towards deaf people. Just the way i see it.

ah I see. well that girl I dating, she learning signs. she's nice and sweet girl. well, why you dont trust her? I trust my girl well.

i don't think it's fair to blame the failure of a relationship on deaf/hearing. just as it wouldn't be fair to base it on black/white, asian/hispanic, etc. relationships fail. period. some are easier than others, for sure. but when two people really love each other, and are willing to make an effort, it can work. i've been in the love for over 20 years. he's deaf, i'm hearing.

i don't think it's fair to blame the failure of a relationship on deaf/hearing. just as it wouldn't be fair to base it on black/white, asian/hispanic, etc. relationships fail. period. some are easier than others, for sure. but when two people really love each other, and are willing to make an effort, it can work. i've been in the love for over 20 years. he's deaf, i'm hearing.

Speaking of black/white relationship..I am a deaf white woman happily married to a hearing black man. Guess the odds are stacked against me, heh? :lol:

Those other ADers who have met my hubby would agree that we are a great match, right? ;)

I have always had hearing bfs/gfs ...i don't think it depends on hearing or deaf although obvs someone who is deaf may understand certain things easier..but my gf is very accommodating and understanding

Hearing or not!

Hi I believe hearing or not, that shouldnt be an issue in building trust between each other. I've never had a non-hearing friend. I dont know the deaf culture. But I'm sure r/s with a hearing or non-hearing person is the same and require the same fundamentals.
we just gotta seek to understand..

anyone? I have a date with hearing girl next satuday :)

I didnt read what everyone said, but all the girls ive dated were hearing women. As I am single... well.. what does that tell ya ;) I think its a trust issue perhaps on my part, but its NOT all my fault. It has a lot to do with " understanding " each other, if you know what i mean. People wont come right out and say " I cant date you because you cant hear " but its pretty much the idea I get sometimes... :( Gee, wonder why im looking to date a HoH or deaf woman now??

Hi I believe hearing or not, that shouldnt be an issue in building trust between each other. I've never had a non-hearing friend. I dont know the deaf culture. But I'm sure r/s with a hearing or non-hearing person is the same and require the same fundamentals.
we just gotta seek to understand..

Well, you are probably part of the minority that thinks that way. At least in my part of the world. Not going to start a pity party here, but ive been screwed with often enough to start second guessing things. It's a two way road too, I would need to work on trust issues, and the person I would be dating would need to understand that AND work it out with me. Im not saying I dont trust anyone; Im saying I get to a certain point with people, and that trust issue kicks in. * shrugs *

I have been married to my husband for 32 years. He is moderately hard of hearing, so basically he is a hearing person.

I have been very happy for most of those years.

I wish you luck! I am profound deaf 5 years. I have had a few boyfriends and they all were hearing. my own experience is that at first it no problem. it some fun making our own way to communicate. but as time go on the deaf/hearing become a problem for us.
i as well find it very hard with meet their family or friends. they not know any deaf and nodody know any sign. I feel very isolated and alone then.
Of course if it was true love then all problems can be solved. but I think I prefer deaf b/friend

Back