Hate crime and the deaf

I experienced audism this week. I was quite offended. I had read threads about it in here but never had first hand experience. What's worse is the source was my local deaf services office. Not sure if this is typical or not. I was surprised

:confused: All I wanted to know who is RML and his/her blog/vlog.

Ah, I just saw that I quoted ya.....sorry, not sure why I did that. I removed it though, :Oops:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OozEQd7ng]YouTube - A Very Audistic Magazine: HEAR THE WORLD[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQZ9bToYpMI]YouTube - Seven-City Lecture Tour for Deaf Hate Crime[/ame]

I actually do apologize. I had him mixed up with someone else. I confused his blog with RML. I was completly in the wrong.

Ahem.... RLM does not use voice when he signs. Of course I know him in real life.

Ahem.... RLM does not use voice when he signs. Of course I know him in real life.

Where on earth do I say that anyone uses their voice when they sign? I confused Carl's blog with that of RLM. I was absolutly in the wrong and I am sorry. I reacted with a misstatement because I was refering to the wrong person. I was wrong to say Carl was an extremist. I am actually not very familiar with his views at all. I was 100% in the wrong. The person I believe to be an extremist, and whom I was actually refering to was RLM. He very devisive and negative towards people with CI's, even children.

Again, I was totally wrong, it was not Carl, and I apologize.

Where on earth do I say that anyone uses their voice when they sign? I confused Carl's blog with that of RLM. I was absolutly in the wrong and I am sorry. I reacted with a misstatement because I was refering to the wrong person. I was wrong to say Carl was an extremist. I am actually not very familiar with his views at all. I was 100% in the wrong. The person I believe to be an extremist, and whom I was actually refering to was RLM. He very devisive and negative towards people with CI's, even children.

Ok I accept your apology.

To the others: I think it is time to let it go. She has apologized. No need to continue to beat her up for it.

Re: Animosity

The animosity here results from certain people denying deaf people's experience. When someone denies a person's experience, it is an assault on the person's reality. It's like someone saying, "You did not exist like that." It should come as no surprise that people who have their identity called into question act negatively and defensively.

Deaf people should be able to speak of their experiences without having to defend themselves. Deaf people define their own culture.

The animosity here results from certain people denying deaf people's experience. When someone denies a person's experience, it is an assault on the person's reality. It's like someone saying, "You did not exist like that." It should come as no surprise that people who have their identity called into question act negatively and defensively.

Deaf people should be able to speak of their experiences without having to defend themselves. Deaf people define their own culture.

:gpost:

That is a valid point.

I'm glad at least the animosity in this thread is cleared up. Now if only hearing people will finally realize that there is Deaf culture and finally understand and correct the forms of audism. It would be nice if Deaf culture was allowed to thrive without a constant battle for its survival.

That is okay. :) Let's move on.

Tujae, listening, empathy and validating another person's experience is the answer. Always. Because that's what all people need.

Moving on. . .

This is cool :D What is the name of the children's festival in May 2011? Would it be in Ontario?

The more I watch Carl Schroeder's videos, the more I like him :D His contributions are inspiring.

Edit: Oops, nevermind. I found it in the video description when I followed the link to Youtube. It's called the Deaf Children Festival. It'll be in Toronto. It might be worth it for me to drive there.

:gpost:

That is a valid point.

I'm glad at least the animosity in this thread is cleared up. Now if only hearing people will finally realize that there is Deaf culture and finally understand and correct the forms of audism. It would be nice if Deaf culture was allowed to thrive without a constant battle for its survival.

How if a majority of hearing people keep telling us that children with CIs can hear and dont need the Deaf community nor ASL?

How if a majority of hearing people keep telling us that children with CIs can hear and dont need the Deaf community nor ASL?

I wish I knew :aw: Maybe if more parents know that CIs destroy residual hearing and that CIs have to be replaced every few years, parents will understand that CIs don't "fix" anything. Also if more parents understood the benefits of a bilingual-bicultural method I'm sure that many parents would choose what's best for their child.

A lot of hearing parents normally have the fear that their child(ren) will never be "normal". That's why they do drastic things, thinking they are doing what's best for the child. When parents realize that Deaf does not mean "unable" or "disabled" I believe they will feel much better about their child(ren)'s future. There are so many issues that are involved with raising a Deaf child. Parents want to know things like "What type of education is best for my child?" "Will my child be successful when (s)he grows up?" "Can my child(ren) thrive and grow strong?"

Unfortunately in addressing these issues they turn to the medical field first. The medical field is there to try to cure "ailments" and "diseases". Since many of the doctors involved are not specialized they say the same things as their colleagues. They may not fully understand the power of Deaf culture, nor the psychological effects of the child. Therefore they do not list all available options.

Then again, some people just don't care. I learned about some guys who grew up with NO language because their parents hid them in shame. They had no ASL and no oral instruction. Actually, they didn't have any education at all. One of the two guys had never had a birth certificate, a social security card, or any proof of his existence.

There doesn't seem to be a quick answer. I think the best place to start is in the field of education. Many residential schools still have a primarily oral program that focuses on oral ability to teach Deaf reading skills (like the one close to me). Once students start graduating with equivalent reading skills as the hearing children people will understand that oralism has nothing to do with reading comprehension. Then hearing will start to understand that Deaf are not "dumb".

Back